100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What a putt!!

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    If you're gonna rant about Williams taking off his bib prematurely, be an equal opportunity ranter and rant on about Westwood's caddy, who did the same thing on Sunday.
    Actually I tried to stay clear of the debate but yes, I noticed that as well and if you pay close attention to many of the Caddys on the 18th, a good number of them do the same thing. We are too busy watching the players to notice.

That and the fact that everyone loves to hate Stevie.... I love Tiger, don't care much for Stevie. I liked fluff much better but hey, Tiger and Stevie make a good 'team' so we will have to put up with it till one of them decides it is time to part ways.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Actually I tried to stay clear of the debate but yes, I noticed that as well and if you pay close attention to many of the Caddys on the 18th, a good number of them do the same thing. We are too busy watching the players to notice.

That and the fact that everyone loves to hate Stevie.... I love Tiger, don't care much for Stevie. I liked fluff much better but hey, Tiger and Stevie make a good 'team' so we will have to put up with it till one of them decides it is time to part ways.
    Agreed on all points!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Agreed on all points!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bullis View Post
    Golfbum, That bugs me as well...I wish the PGA would stop him from doing it. It must bring in HUGE cash for him. Note to Steve "We can see the logo on your sleeve bozo, we don't need the chest logo as well!!!"..I'm not saying the sponsor 's name as that would help Steve and the Sponsor...
    But it's classless showing up his fellow caddies like that. At least that is how I see it...
    I know, I know...he is just making a buck and good for him for being able to do it...I just hope he cuts his meal ticket in for his share...Because without Tiger who would care about this guy?
    Who would know his name besides his mommy.....

Rant over...today will be a nice Monday...

Cheers
    Actually Williams was well known before Tiger. He caddied for Ian Baker-finch, Greg Norman and Raymond Floyd. Not a bad résumé IMO….

In don’t see what the big fuss is all about. What did he do that is so disrespectful?

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Actually Williams was well known before Tiger. He caddied for Ian Baker-finch, Greg Norman and Raymond Floyd. Not a bad résumé IMO….

In don’t see what the big fuss is all about. What did he do that is so disrespectful?

Mike
    I think Golfbum feels that taking off the caddy bib before leaving the 18th green is disrespectful. He ripped Williams for it, but as I pointed out, Westwood's caddy did the same thing this weekend and others have noted that they've seen many other caddy's do the same.

Mountain out of a mole hill as far as I can tell.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I read that but I still don’t understand what is so disrespectful about it? Who is he offending ad why?

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I read that but I still don’t understand what is so disrespectful about it? Who is he offending ad why?
    Golfbum felt Williams was disrespecting the USGA by taking off the bib early. Protocol perhaps. What we don't know is where the caddy needs to turn in his bib. Perhaps it's just under the grandstand as they leave the green, and if so, it makes sense, and would explain why it is that more than just Williams does it.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Golfbum felt Williams was disrespecting the USGA by taking off the bib early. Protocol perhaps. What we don't know is where the caddy needs to turn in his bib. Perhaps it's just under the grandstand as they leave the green, and if so, it makes sense, and would explain why it is that more than just Williams does it.
    Oh please, give me a break. Williams pulls that stunt on every 18th hole in every tournament, Thursday to Sunday. Rarely do you see another caddie do that. He is one of the few if any that consistantly does that.

Excuse me if I find it disprectful to the sponsor who has their name on the bibs. They do not have to turn them in under the grandstand, it stays with them until the end of the tournament, or goes into the scoring tent until the next day. I will find out, I will ask a guy who caddies for a Canadian on the PGA tour the next time I see him.

If I were the sponsor I would demand that every caddie, including Willams left that bib on until after they got to the scoring tent. Paying big money to have your company name on the bibs means you want it to be seen at all times.

Watch and see how many other caddies do that. Not too many but yes there are a few. I have the same view on them also.

Williams just wants to flaunt his Valvoline logo.

You might be in love with Willams but I think he is a jerk. You will not change my mind and apparently other members of this forum feel the same way I do about the removal of the bib.

His actions in the past have spoken louder than words. Tossing the camera of a spectator into the water during the Skins game. Idiot move right there. It is not like Woods was trying to make a putt to win the US Open, it was the SKINS GAME.

It is like taking your hat off when you shake hands on the 18th green after a round with your friends. You do take your hat off don't you? It is all about respect, for the game and also your playing partners.

Maybe it is something older people tend to be more aware of.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Oh please, give me a break. Williams pulls that stunt on every 18th hole in every tournament, Thursday to Sunday. Rarely do you see another caddie do that. He is one of the few if any that consistantly does that.
    Rarely eh? Ok, we know that Williams won't be on TV between now and sometime next year, so let's start counting.

• Westwood's caddy
    There, that's one.

Excuse me if I find it disprectful to the sponsor who has their name on the bibs. They do not have to turn them in under the grandstand, it stays with them until the end of the tournament, or goes into the scoring tent until the next day. I will find out, I will ask a guy who caddies for a Canadian on the PGA tour the next time I see him.
    You're excused.

How do you know where they turn them in? Were you there? Check out photos from round one to round four. Caddies are assigned alternate color bibs everyday. Maybe they're given one of each color at the start of the event. Let us know what your friend says and if there is a standard protocol from event to event. I would be interested to know!

If I were the sponsor I would demand that every caddie, including Willams left that bib on until after they got to the scoring tent. Paying big money to have your company name on the bibs means you want it to be seen at all times.

Watch and see how many other caddies do that. Not too many but yes there are a few. I have the same view on them also.
    Fair enough, but rip them here when they do.

That was my guess to as why he does it as well, but I noticed on Sunday and Monday the he has the Valvoline logo on his sleeve, so taking the bib off probably doesn't have much to do with logo air time as Williams is on camera most of the day anyway, so the sleeve logo gets plenty of air time. So maybe there's another reason. Do you really think he's trying to stick it to every event Tiger plays in when he takes off his bib? Event all those Buick events? Hmm. Somehow I doubt it.

You might be in love with Willams
    Yes, I am in love with Williams and I'd never kick him out of bed for taking off his bib. In fact, I prefer it when he does because it gets in the way otherwise.

but I think he is a jerk.
    Fair enough.

You will not change my mind and apparently other members of this forum feel the same way I do about the removal of the bib.
    What other members feel the same way as you do on this issue? I recall only posts wondering what all the fuss was about and not necessarily agreeing with you.

His actions in the past have spoken louder than words. Tossing the camera of a spectator into the water during the Skins game. Idiot move right there. It is not like Woods was trying to make a putt to win the US Open, it was the SKINS GAME.
    What we don't know about that story is how many times Williams asked the photog to stop? Once? Twice? Six or seven? We don't know. Maybe the photog was a royal pain, and ran into the wrong caddy on the wrong day. Maybe the photog didn't do much wrong. But it definitely sent a message.

Bottom line is that no of us knows what it must be like to caddy for Tiger. Here is probably the most recognizable athlete on the planet, and as such he must deal with coverage and issues that no other tour player must. There are going to be times that call for a heavy hand. Williams provides that, and it likely makes other photographers think twice about what they are doing and how they are doing it. There's a reason why no one liked to go in the corners with Gordie Howe (who himself never had a Gordie Howe hat trick), because the mere thought of those sharp elbows were enough to deter opponents.

It is like taking your hat off when you shake hands on the 18th green after a round with your friends. You do take your hat off don't you? It is all about respect, for the game and also your playing partners.
    So because I don't think that a caddy taking a bib off before exiting the 18th green is a big deal you're implying that I don't have manners? Interesting. Let's not get personal. Whether I take my hat off or not is irrelevant.

I generally enjoy your posts, but I disagree with you on this one, and it's not because you may be older and have greater or more refined sensibilities.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road

You might be in love with Willams but I think he is a jerk. You will not change my mind and apparently other members of this forum feel the same way I do about the removal of the bib.

Take heart, Golfbum. The major championships, which are undoubtedly the most-watched golf tournaments by far, are sponsorless. Therefore, Williams really isn't doing any corporations a disservice in the biggest events of the year.
    By the way, I think it's ridiculous that anyone would criticize Williams for taking off his bib...get a grip and complain about high gas prices or something...

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Take heart, Golfbum. The major championships, which are undoubtedly the most-watched golf tournaments by far, are sponsorless. Therefore, Williams really isn't doing any corporations a disservice in the biggest events of the year.
    By the way, I think it's ridiculous that anyone would criticize Williams for taking off his bib...get a grip and complain about high gas prices or something...
    It's all about respect. USGA, or Bubba's Bakery. Someone is paying the frieght, show them the respect they deserve.

High gas prices, why complain about that. Can you do anything about it? I sure can't.

Walk, ride a bike or stay home if you can not afford to drive!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    It's all about respect. USGA, or Bubba's Bakery. Someone is paying the frieght, show them the respect they deserve.

High gas prices, why complain about that. Can you do anything about it? I sure can't.

so if its all about respect, how do you blame Williams for throwing that guys camera in the water? These guys are playing for a lot of $ and Tiger deals with this kinda crap all the time - more than anyone since he gets so much coverage. Are the photographers showing tiger respect by snapping photos in the middle of his backswing? Nope.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

What can you do about Steve taking his bib off?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    so if its all about respect, how do you blame Williams for throwing that guys camera in the water? These guys are playing for a lot of $ and Tiger deals with this kinda crap all the time - more than anyone since he gets so much coverage. Are the photographers showing tiger respect by snapping photos in the middle of his backswing? Nope.
    It was at the Skins Game, not the US Open that this incident happened. Big difference in venues. Sure the guy with the camera should have known better but does that justify Williams tossing the camera in the pond? That is why there are marshals at events, to deal with things like that.

That is why we have police to deal with issues. Otherwise we'd all be running around punching people out instead of having the law handle it. Does road rage sound good to you?

As for the issue of the removal of the sponsor bib. That would be easy for the PGA Tour to solve. Fine Williams and every other caddie $10,000 every time they remove the bib on the 18th green or before they reach the scoring tent. Problem solved.

I realize most of you think this is not a big issue, but for a sponsor it could be. Now could it be most sponsors do not say anything about it due to the fact it is Woods caddie and they do not want to offend Woods? So nothing is said due to that pressure.

I am sorry if you disagree, but I still think it is a lack of respect.

It was at the Skins Game, not the US Open that this incident happened. Big difference in venues. Sure the guy with the camera should have known better but does that justify Williams tossing the camera in the pond? That is why there are marshals at events, to deal with things like that.

That is why we have police to deal with issues. Otherwise we'd all be running around punching people out instead of having the law handle it. Does road rage sound good to you?

As for the issue of the removal of the sponsor bib. That would be easy for the PGA Tour to solve. Fine Williams and every other caddie $10,000 every time they remove the bib on the 18th green or before they reach the scoring tent. Problem solved.

I realize most of you think this is not a big issue, but for a sponsor it could be. Now could it be most sponsors do not say anything about it due to the fact it is Woods caddie and they do not want to offend Woods? So nothing is said due to that pressure.

I am sorry if you disagree, but I still think it is a lack of respect.
    I think a Skins Game is exactly the right venue for doing what he did. Had he done it at a US Open for example, it would have become a major issue, and a distraction to his player. How did Adam Scott do after Navarro went after that drunken father-son combo in the crowd last week? He didn't win, we know that.

I have worked in marketing and brand management for 10 years and I know all about value for sponsorship dollars. If Buick or any other sponsor (but especially Buick!) has an issue with Williams taking off his bib too soon, then I am sure they would have been all over the issue by now.

If the major sponsor of an event is truly doing their job right, they have plastered their logo, tastefully of course, on every grandstand drape, on every hole sign, on ever flag, and they of course have Golf Channel and the networks using their name in the title of the tournament. In addition, they have their logo on the caddy's bibs. Because they have done their job right though, everyone who watches golf pretty much knows the name of the tournament they are watching due to all of these touchpoints. So if a caddy who takes off his bib a couple of minutes early is really impacting your brand equity in the tournament that you're sponsoring, you probably haven't done your job as a brand manager, because that caddy should be standing in direct line of site with your logo that has been screen onto the grandstand drapery, imprinted on the flag that he's holding in his hand, overlaid by your logo as it appears on screen as player's scores scroll by along the top / bottom of the screen.

Simple.

So you don't like Williams, which is fine, but don't find fault where no fault is to be found.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

to me the venue is irrelevant. They are still playing for a lot of $ and the cameramen know better. They deal with this crap every tournament and the marshalls etc. don't seem to be doing enough to stop it. Steve made a bold statement by doing what he did and I commend him. He didn't assault anyone - that would have been different.

As for the bib, my comment was more akin to your statement about why complain about gas prices since you can't do anything about it. Why complain about Steve taking his bib off then?

To me I have bigger things to worry about. You don't like him. Fair enough. Personally, I think he has a real difficult job that none of us can imagine what it is like to have to deal with the crap he does week in and week out. Obviously if the PGA was concerned, they would have said something to him.

No I don’t. Actually I don’t even think about it and I can’t recall anyone in my surrounding taking his hat off. They might have it’s just that I have never noticed. To me respect is all about how you treat someone and not gestures like taking your hat off. Shaking hands and acknowledging that it was pleasant playing with them is respectful. Might be an age thing.

Mike

Thread Information