CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge stebed is on a distinguished road

PEI Golf reccomendations

hey everyone, i was wondering if i could get some opinions on golf in pei. i go to pei every summer to visit family on the eastern side of things, i've played crowbush a lot just because we're ten minutes away (used to get swimming lessons there back in the day). i've played brudenell, dundarave, belvedere, fox meadows, avondale, beaver valley, belfast, eagles view, and rollo bay. i'm a big fan of crowbush, its probably my favorite course in canada and i've played some nice ones. some people say its over-rated, some people hate #11 and 17.. i don't like 17 but think 11 is a great hole if you can hit a decent drive. my only gripe is that it can be downright unplayable when the mosquitos are at their worst. dundarave was really well maintained but ultimately i can only remember one or two holes from the round, it wasn't a terribly memorable layout. brudenell/avondale are very nice but definitely not on the same level as crowbush/dundarave. this summer i'm looking to explore the other side of the island and this is my list:

1. eagles glenn
    2. anderson's creek
    3. mill river
    4. glasgow hills
    5. green gables?

am i missing anything? feel free to give your rankings/opinions. from what i've heard green gables isn't as nice as the others but i also just read a thread that mentionned it was closed last season for some major renovations led by thomas mcbroom, anyone know how that went? sounds pretty promising. thanks!

nothing huh?

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Check Hacker's review of PEI courses that he did in a thread last year.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stebed View Post

1. eagles glenn
    2. anderson's creek
    3. mill river
    4. glasgow hills
    5. green gables?
    In my opinion you have pretty much nailed the courses that you should be playing. (Assuming that you don't want to replay the courses that you have already played on)

If I were to rank those 5 I'd say:

1. Mill River
    2. Eagles Glenn
    3. Anderson's Creek
    4. Glasgow Hills
    5. Green Gables (This course has been undergoing major renovations for the past 2 years and is only scheduled to re-open in July. As of 2 weeks ago the rumours were that a July opening was being overly optimistic.)

Have a GREAT trip. I'm heading back down during the final week of July and I hope to play Mill River, Eagles Glenn and Anderson's Creek

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    In my opinion you have pretty much nailed the courses that you should be playing. (Assuming that you don't want to replay the courses that you have already played on)

If I were to rank those 5 I'd say:

1. Mill River
    2. Eagles Glenn
    3. Anderson's Creek
    4. Glasgow Hills
    5. Green Gables (This course has been undergoing major renovations for the past 2 years and is only scheduled to re-open in July. As of 2 weeks ago the rumours were that a July opening was being overly optimistic.)

Have a GREAT trip. I'm heading back down during the final week of July and I hope to play Mill River, Eagles Glenn and Anderson's Creek
    thanks hacker, this year i want to explore the other side of the island so i'll probably stick with 1-4 and maybe save green gables for next year

thanks hacker, this year i want to explore the other side of the island so i'll probably stick with 1-4 and maybe save green gables for next year
    I'm sure you will love those 4. I played Anderson's Creek and Eagles Glenn twice each 2 weeks ago.....they are both in spectacular condition

Putter tdwilson is on a distinguished road tdwilson's Avatar
    Green Gables is a beautiful course. I played it 6 years ago and was very impressed with it. I recomend it strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by tdwilson View Post
    Green Gables is a beautiful course. I played it 6 years ago and was very impressed with it. I recomend it strongly.
    I would agree with that assessment of the old course..........two years worth of renovations will undoubtably have resulted in some significant changes - hopefully they will be for the better.

I can't wait to try it out and see

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    I would agree with that assessment of the old course..........two years worth of renovations will undoubtably have resulted in some significant changes - hopefully they will be for the better.

I can't wait to try it out and see
    Green Gables is now scheduled to Open Aug. 1
    http://www.greengablesgolf.com/home.php?page=about

They are working on new website........"Two Course Legends, One Legendary Course" http://www.greengablesgolf.com/index.php

Sounds good !!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Green Gables is now scheduled to Open Aug. 1
    http://www.greengablesgolf.com/home.php?page=about

They are working on new website........"Two Course Legends, One Legendary Course" http://www.greengablesgolf.com/index.php

Sounds good !!
    My Father walked the course today and in his opinion an August 1 opening would require a small miracle as there is still a lot of work to do.

They have been taking tee-times for a couple of weeks now and will be diverting people to Anderson's Creek in the GG course isn't ready to go

Par tyorke1 is on a distinguished road
    I have full pic's I wil try and get them up with in the week

Par tyorke1 is on a distinguished road
    Anything you need top know, pm me, for the record the par 3's will be the best in the country . The rest of the course I don't know, the bunkering is severe,

would love to see pics

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    My Father walked the course today and in his opinion an August 1 opening would require a small miracle as there is still a lot of work to do.

They have been taking tee-times for a couple of weeks now and will be diverting people to Anderson's Creek in the GG course isn't ready to go
    Stayed very close to GG last summer, wish I was staying there again once the course is open - could walk to the clubhouse.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    For those interested , i just got back from PEI and played Mill River twice , the course is in good shape , a little bit of damage on a couple of greens , but very decent overall.
    BTW the staff at the course were awesome , very friendly , in fact , it was a little slow the 2nd day i played , and the marshall gave myself and playing partner a $10 off gift coupon for anything in the pro shop over $20 , a very nice gesture indeed.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Here are a few pics of Mill River from last week
    Attached Images

Wilster, how in the h--- are you so fortunate to play golf in PEI? I am so envious.

Get in the car and drive 15 hrs
    And for those staying in the region , bring some serious mozzy spray , they are unreal down there .
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo View Post
    Wilster, how in the h--- are you so fortunate to play golf in PEI? I am so envious.

Drive another 2 hours to my beloved Nova Scotia, everything, including golf is even better there.

whatever happened to those green gables pictures?

Green Gables will NOT be ready to go for August 1.....

Green Gables will NOT be ready to go for August 1.....
    any idea on when it will be ready? im there from august 4th to the 17th

i just called them and they said they were definitely opening on friday august 1st

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Well, seeing that I will be in PEI I should maybe get a couple of games in, I think maybe Mills River, maybe take another crack at Eagles Glenn and definitely do Green Gables if she be ready.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

if anyone plays green gables let us know how it is, and how it ranks compared to the other big cavendish courses, ill be there next week but might not have time to play all four.

if anyone plays green gables let us know how it is, and how it ranks compared to the other big cavendish courses, ill be there next week but might not have time to play all four.
    Green Gables had an official re-opening with Golf Writers and invited guests on Thursday. One of the invited and regular community Blogger to the PEI Guardian is Tim Banks. He is the CEO of APM, a Canada wide construction and property development company, with its head office in Charlottetown, PEI.

Here is what he had to say about the renovated Course.
    http://timbanks.ca/

Move Over Crowbush...I'm in the record books!!

Well I didn't think it was possible but Crowbush has a new challenger for top spot and that is the newly renovated Green Gables, it’s BEAUTIFUL. I had the good fortune of being one of the invited guests to the official opening of Green Gables and in fact Anthony Warren (our top PEI amateur) and I joined the two German golf writers for a round of golf and we had a great day. From the first hole you could see the wonderful changes the course architect Tom McBroom made to the famous Stanley Thompson course. Every hole seemed to get better and better as we moved along but the closer we got to number 9 the stronger the sense of "great" became and as we moved into the back nine I started fighting with myself to pick a signature hole but I'm going out there now and say it will be number 13 (the par 4 after the tunnel) and I could easily pick three others. It's funny how things go but the last change to course was back in Eighties when the National Park wouldn't let you touch a tree let alone cut one down and quite frankly they nearly ruined the course at that time. Tom McBroom, Island Coastal and the people at Parks Canada should be very proud of the new design and execution of the changes and the respect shown for Lord Stanley Thompson. Back to our game, Anthony who holds the old club record at 63 shot a blistering 69 from the tips (about 7,250 yds) with about 4 balls in the woods and our guests showed up with a good game and enthusiastic conversation, while I posted a 81 (42 - 39) which will be posted beside Anthony's new record which may hold for a long time as we had no wind. I'm going to predict that if the crew at Golf Links continue to run Crowbush and the other courses into the ground that they will be soon garner 5th and 6th spot as Green Gables and the other great courses in the area will soon exceed our Provincial courses as the Place To Play.... I was speaking with Blair MacLauchlan and yes there are going to be memberships next year and I’ll be the first in line for an early tee time…
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

so did anyone play green gables yet? i played eagles glenn and andersons creek and the staff at andersons creek (same management as green gables) said the course still needs a year before its grown in properly.. its also much more expensive at $100 vs $78 for all the other cavendish courses.. eagles glenn and andersons creek were nice but not particularily well conditioned for the price. i was surprised at how hilly and target-y andersons creek was, more memorable layout than eagles glenn despite a couple annoyingly blind holes. playing glasgow sometime this week, looked quite nice from the road. here are some pictures from andersons creek

My father played Green Gables this week and he had a 3 word comment about it............

They Ruined It.

He's been playing Green Gables for 30 years and was a member for at least 15 years - he seemed very disappointed

My father played Green Gables this week and he had a 3 word comment about it............

They Ruined It.

He's been playing Green Gables for 30 years and was a member for at least 15 years - he seemed very disappointed
    Did your Father explain what changes ruined the course.......??? I have heard its a much longer course than before........

Thread Information