100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar

So who cleaned up at Chuck's sale today?

What a zoo that was!!! I arrived at the East End store 10 minutes before it opened and there wasn't a hope of getting into the parking lot. The west end store was even more nuts. Then headed downtown to the centre town store which was equally busy.
    Some great deals; the TM500 series drivers on sale were snapped up in minutes.
    I managed to snag a set of mint used Orlimar Ken Venturi PG-64 blades for half of what they were asking when I was looking at them last month. I would have bought more as I saw some stuff later at the downtown store I liked but I just was not ready to endure another hour and a half in line to get to the cash.
    Anyone else make some equipment purchases today?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    I managed to snag a set of mint used Orlimar Ken Venturi PG-64 blades for half of what they were asking when I was looking at them last month.
    So it was you. I had my eyes on those too. Oh well.

I did pick up one of those sweet Armour 845 Forged Persimmon drivers. 129 bucks!!! That's a steal with the Graffaloy Prolite Elite shaft. I love the old school pear shaped head. Looks beautiful at address. I tried one when they first came out and put it on my wish list. I sure didn't expect the price to come down that far.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    I was there too and picked up a set of Adams Tight Lie Tour irons for way less than half price. I heard one store clerk say that they had sold most of their sale items today! Can't wait to try out my new clubs, anyone else on this forum own Adams Tight Lie irons? If so how are you finding them?

"
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    So it was you. I had my eyes on those too. Oh well.
    I did pick up one of those sweet Armour 845 Forged Persimmon drivers. 129 bucks!!! That's a steal with the Graffaloy Prolite Elite shaft. I love the old school pear shaped head. Looks beautiful at address. I tried one when they first came out and put it on my wish list. I sure didn't expect the price to come down that far.
    "

Yeah, it was me. It's OK, someone beat me to the MacGregor JNPs I had my eye on at the Somerset store. I have 5 sets of blades right now, including a set of Tommy Armour 986 Tour Blades, so I'm not really sure what I'll do with the Orlimars. I really don't need them but they were too nice a club and too good a deal to pass up. I'll keep your address bookmarked in case they become available.
    Nice pick up on the Forged Persimmon driver. That was a steal at the price. I would have grabbed one too, but I recently picked up a Maltby Logic Tradition Forged 350, which is essentially the identical driver.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

CBs Warehouse sale

Well, I got some clubs today at CBs, but i guess my experience might be considered a little odd but interesting.

Knowing this sale was coming up, I went into CBs about 2 weeks ago to try out some irons and ended up signing out on demo a set of Tommy Armour 845 Oversize 3-PW that had previously belonged to "nice lag" (yes, it is a small world after all!). CBs had them listed at $210. I liked the clubs and had convinced myself that I was willing to trade my Adams GT Performance 3-SW for them, as long as I could get an acceptable sand wedge with the trade. Well, it turns out that CBs had recently changed their policy regarding used clubs such that I would have to actually pay them to get the TA845s without the sand wedge, so I decided to pass on the clubs.

So, I got my Adams GT Performance clubs regripped using their 2-for-1 deal instead. I went in to pick up my clubs today, and guess what - I saw the exact same TA845s on sale at almost 1/2 price and considerably less than the trade-in value I was offered for my Adams only two weeks earlier. Well, of course I bought the 845s and I'm looking forward to a season of testing them against my Adams GT - but it just goes to show the deals that are available at this sale.
    Last edited by el tigre; 02-08-2004 at 04:01 AM.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Ya I know, I almost bought one myself. If it is the one I'm thinking of, then I tested that driver at the Golf Show last March and loved everything about them except the sound. It's a good thing you got to try it out first - it is a very nice club to hit but the sound on impact is downright weird. OTOH, I could learn to love it if I'm playing my second shot from the fairway most of the time. Nice pickup!
    Last edited by el tigre; 02-08-2004 at 03:52 AM.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Adams irons

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    I was there too and picked up a set of Adams Tight Lie Tour irons for way less than half price. I heard one store clerk say that they had sold most of their sale items today! Can't wait to try out my new clubs, anyone else on this forum own Adams Tight Lie irons? If so how are you finding them?
    I have been playing the GT Performance irons for a year now, and they are a nice set of sticks. My "gap" wedge is a GT Ultimate - which is almost identical to your "Tour" editon. Very nice clubs and incredibly underrated - if you got the GT shafts rather than the "steel only" shafts then I'd say you got an incredible deal.

BTW, if you have not checked out the specs on these clubs already, I would urge you to do so. The GT Performance lofts are greater than "traditional" iron sets (but similar to many "modern" game improvement sets now on the market), such that you might want to look into getting a "gap" wedge if you do not already have one. A 45* pitching wedge and "traditional" 56* sand wedge may not be enough.
    Last edited by el tigre; 02-08-2004 at 04:13 AM.

Thumbs down No test drive available

CBs sale is a great time to get some deals on golf stuff, with one important caveat - you cannot test out clubs before you buy them during the sale. Now, I think CBs is a fine golf store, but considering that even at sale prices you are still dropping a few hundred $$$ on equipment prior to purchase, this policy seems to ask for a larger "leap of faith" than a lad of Scottish ancestry like myself is willing to undertake. Does anyone else feel this way?.
    Last edited by el tigre; 02-08-2004 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    I managed to snag a set of mint used Orlimar Ken Venturi PG-64 blades for half of what they were asking when I was looking at them last month.
    I was there two weeks ago and saw brand-new Orlimar SF-302s on sale for under $300. I forgot to check what they were going for today, but I've got to believe that it's an incredible deal. This event is the only time where I've been known to actually purchase golf clubs from a golf retailer! Ya gotta love it!
    Last edited by el tigre; 02-08-2004 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    I was there two weeks ago and saw brand-new Orlimar SF-302s on sale for under $300. I forgot to check what they were going for today, but I've got to believe that it's an incredible deal. This event is the only time where I've been known to actually purchase golf clubs from a golf retailer! Ya gotta love it!
    There really were some bargains. Used Maxfli VHLs for 45 bucks, a ton of good $10 putters, and some really good deals on new and used current model and just out of date stock. It was all I coiuld do not to walk out with a truckload worth of stuff.

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road
    Sounds like some of you guys got some great deals.

Not having bought golf equipment in a retail store for probably over 25 years, do the retailers now allow you to take an iron from a set, or a driver, to a range in the summertime, to test the club(s) before you buy?

If you buy in the winter, and you hit into a net, what are you looking for that will convince you to buy the clubs?

the TM500 series drivers on sale were snapped up in minutes My resident spy inducated that these Taylor drivers were going for about $200, but that these models were NON-CONFORMING, ie., the COR was too high. Does this bother anyone or should it be assumed that the purchasers don't play in tournaments and are not club members where handicaps are kept?

Lastly, when you buy a set of irons on sale or even at full retail price, is a loft and lie check, part of the purchase price?

Whew Nat, that's a lot of questions:
    - Yes some retailers will let you demo clubs. Some like the 19th Hole, even have a driving range right there for you to try out some different models.
    - If I'm hitting into a net I'm usually just looking to try out the 'feel' of the club. Other than that you can't tell much. In my case I know which shafts etc. work for me so I'll look towards clubs with those specs. Or I may have already hit those clubs at some time as I demo lots of clubs. Really, what I am looking for is a good deal on something I already have a pretty good idea about.
    - Yes the TM drivers on sale at Chucks were non-conforming due to the COR. They actually had a sticker on them that said they were R&A conforming, but USGA non-conforming. I personally did not buy one, but no one I talked to in line seemed too bothered by the non-conforming designation. I have no idea if they are legal in Canada or not for tournament use. I would not use one myself but would have no problem with anyone else in my group using one. I personally think the new driver rules are ridiculous...
    - Finally, yes you can get the lofts and lies checked before buying, although in most cases you have to ask and some stores just don't have the capability or expertise to do it properly. In the case of Pings, some other OEMs and most component clubs made by clubmakers, a fitting and loft and lie matching is usually part of the purchasing process. Generally though, most people who buy sets off the rack don't have the loft and lies checked.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    I have been playing the GT Performance irons for a year now, and they are a nice set of sticks. My "gap" wedge is a GT Ultimate - which is almost identical to your "Tour" editon. Very nice clubs and incredibly underrated - if you got the GT shafts rather than the "steel only" shafts then I'd say you got an incredible deal.

BTW, if you have not checked out the specs on these clubs already, I would urge you to do so. The GT Performance lofts are greater than "traditional" iron sets (but similar to many "modern" game improvement sets now on the market), such that you might want to look into getting a "gap" wedge if you do not already have one. A 45* pitching wedge and "traditional" 56* sand wedge may not be enough.
    Yep they have the GT shafts on them, thanks for the advice.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Ya I know, I almost bought one myself. If it is the one I'm thinking of, then I tested that driver at the Golf Show last March and loved everything about them except the sound. It's a good thing you got to try it out first - it is a very nice club to hit but the sound on impact is downright weird. OTOH, I could learn to love it if I'm playing my second shot from the fairway most of the time. Nice pickup!
    I agree the sound is a little different than some, but it's no Ping or Zevo, and outdoors it's by no means rude. It's all about classic beauty and peformance with me. The Armour's probably the most compact looking 350cc I've ever seen.

Man, if I was anxious for golf season to start before... :groupflip :groupwave :dj :multi :flipswitc :xxrotflma
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

couldn't resist

Picked up one of those Armour Forged Persimmons myself today. Another driver is probably the last thing I need but at $129 it's too good a deal to pass up.

The thing has a nice traditional look at address despite it's 350cc head, it has that cool fake wood grain finish that reminds me of my old '83 Magicwagon and comes with a very good shaft to boot.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Thread Information