100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

no way to hit your club without damaging it...

what would you do? Lets say if you try to get a club on the ball you will hit a rock that will damage your fogred wedges... Your ball just happens to land on grass that has rock under it. Yes, I would also like to know what the rules say but also want to know what YOU would do. I personally would take the shot or take the unplayable lie and move my ball 2 clublengths. for some people, they would say Its a punch out situation anyway, just move it over an inch and punch out... but I can't do it.
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've hit shots off cart paths, rocks, gravel, etc. in everyday play because it still counts. And it also helps you when you need to hit that shot in a tournament, which I have also had to do.

Look at it this way, if you ding your club you have an excuse to get new ones.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I have one designated club as the go to club for such occasions. And since it is a wedge I bought separately, it is not part of my iron set.

I use the GW Cleveland wedge for such an occasion. screw the extra stroke or two I might take on a hole. No way am I messing up my R7s....

The worst dings I have put in any of my clubs have come from submerged rocks in the fairway/rough.

hmmm, i only carry 12 clubs, maybe I should carry one POS wedge for this exact situation. I usually just play the club and worry about the damage later. My current wedges are in pretty bad shape because of this
    willy

1dash1
    Sillywilly:

If I have a reasonable shot at advancing the ball and if I will learn something in the process, I'll usually take a hack at it. I've broken my share of clubs in the process.

If there is nothing to be learned, then I'll weigh my options. Quite often, the risk isn't worth the few yards gained. Of course, the greatest risk isn't damaging clubs or losing a few strokes - the greatest risk is to life and limb.

And no, there are no "get out of jail free" options.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    You guys are crazy, you're not on th PGA and there is no prize money. Move the ball where you have the same angle to the hole and hit your shot without damaging your clubs. If you're in a tourny then go ahead and hit the shot with the risk of damaging your clubs but in an everyday round, it's just stupid. Need to not take the game, or yourselves, so seriously.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    It seems to me that if you carry 12 clubs only, you should carry 2 POS clubs for this purpose only. And perhaps one of them should be a lefy club for when you are stuck against a tree or something.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    hmmm, i only carry 12 clubs, maybe I should carry one POS wedge for this exact situation. I usually just play the club and worry about the damage later. My current wedges are in pretty bad shape because of this

3 Wood Skiddlydidly is on a distinguished road Skiddlydidly's Avatar
    If I were scoring the round for handicap, I would just declare it unplayable. The club is worth more than one stroke, and golf's expensive enough as it is.
    Sucking at golf is it's own reward.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I'm with John on this, save that I have stuck with my forged blades for more than 22 years. Yes, they're gouged, but those scars give them a certain gravitas that befits these old friends.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I've hit shots off cart paths, rocks, gravel, etc. in everyday play because it still counts. And it also helps you when you need to hit that shot in a tournament, which I have also had to do.

Look at it this way, if you ding your club you have an excuse to get new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiddlydidly View Post
    If I were scoring the round for handicap, I would just declare it unplayable. The club is worth more than one stroke, and golf's expensive enough as it is.
    Notwithstanding the fact that all your rounds should be counting for your handicap, why would you take the extra stroke?

If it's a dangerous situation where I could hurt myself, sure, I'd take the unplayable. If all I'm going to do is put a ding or scrape on the bottom of my iron, I'll swing away.

Clubs wear out. I've had mine for 4 seasons now so the faces are starting to show some wear in spots from hitting balls in bunkers, or with sand on them, or with dirt, etc.

3 Wood Skiddlydidly is on a distinguished road Skiddlydidly's Avatar
    Well, like I said, golf's expensive enough. I can barely justify the expense as it is.

Also, I'm not very good, so that one stroke doesn't mean much. If I played competitively, then in a competition, yes, I would consider such a shot.

And not counted for handicap would be any rounds played on unrated courses, during which I don't really worry much about score anyway and consider it a practice round.
    Sucking at golf is it's own reward.

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    You guys are crazy, you're not on th PGA and there is no prize money. Move the ball where you have the same angle to the hole and hit your shot without damaging your clubs. If you're in a tourny then go ahead and hit the shot with the risk of damaging your clubs but in an everyday round, it's just stupid. Need to not take the game, or yourselves, so seriously.
    I'm with you on this one...But others would argue that we just broke the rules...I go out to have fun and play. Maybe I'm the issue with not caring as much as others.

Cheers

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I can't justify messing up a club just to make a shot. Unlike the pros, I pay for my equipment and take pride in keeping it in good shape. I don't play that much so my clubs don't wear out and I keep them a few years then upgrade. It's hard er to sell a dinged up set of clubs.

Last year, I was playing Loch March and hit my ball left of the rock in the bunker on 18 and I was more worried about the ball hitting the rock. I made the shot, but my SW dinged the rock and has a couple of nice dings in it. I was pretty mad about my own stupidity.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    outside of tournament play, i can not see any reason to possibly ruin a club for a shot. as stated above, we are not pro, we pay for our stuff. to think that i might ding or break a club just for a shot? no way, i will move it to where i wont kill the club. if in a hazard, take a drop and penalty, if not, then i move to just get away form the real chance of breaking club and go on.

having said that, it is also about the type of shot you are going to take. if my shot to the green would result in me hitting a tree with my club for sure, but i can ship sideways with no damage to the club, then chip sideways, but if i am right against a rock in the fairway, i will move the ball to just get a few inches away from the rock.

3 Iron Strangebrew is on a distinguished road Strangebrew's Avatar
    In a typical round playing with my normal group I'm moving the ball away from the rock and would expect them to as well. No way I'm taking a chance on being hurt, I can always buy more golf clubs but I can't afford being off work due to an easily preventable injury.

6 Iron Old Man is on a distinguished road
    Our group just moves the ball .Why do damage to yourself or the club.This is our standard rule for us as we never play against people who use a handicap or enter tourneys.Just four farts out doing our best .

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    As long as there is no risk of personal injury, swing away. There is little chance you are going to do anything other than cosmetic damage to your clubs anyways. As Mike said, the dings are like badges of glory for shots made under adverse conditions!

As Mike said, the dings are like badges of glory for shots made under adverse conditions!
    Exactly. Case in point, I hit one off the gravel in Belleville and ended up winning the hole. Closed out my match on the next hole. If I had taken a drop, probably would have lost the hole since my drop option would have resulted in a crappy lie and stance.

You couldn't even tell that the shot was played from gravel once I wiped the club off.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    If you deem it too dangerous or you don't want to damage yourclub then declare it unplayable. Move it in accordance with the rules and take a penalty. No big deal.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

how much does it suck to have a rock sticking up behind your ball in the fairway? Its happened to me before and I took a huge dent on the bottom of my FW wood to advance the ball only 15 yards. Is marking the ball and removing the rock an option? I know most people here would be PO'ed for getting penalized for hitting the fairway like that.
    willy

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    Is marking the ball and removing the rock an option?
    If the rock is embedded in the ground, no it's not an option.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Question Rocks & things

Interesting thread and I would tend to come down on the side of safety and move the ball. If playing for $ or prestige then take the penalty, if playing with friends, then no.

But a related question. I believe that if you move the rock before your shot then you incur a penalty, right? So what if you are a charitable type, take your shot, either hitting the rock or moving it within the rules, THEN after you have taken your shot dig out the offending rock and tossing it in the bush/pond.

Obviously there is a line here and I am not suggesting excavating but if the rock is removable and say the size of a golf ball, then is it a rule infraction?

Just bettering the course for your fellow competitors, IMHO.

No problem moving an embedded stone after the shot is hit.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Like my buddy always says " I ain't playing for a million bucks. I want a preferred lie and I prefer it not to be sitting on this rock"

Seriously, take the unplayable and stroke and play on. First thing is safety. If you crack a bone in your hand your summer of golf is just about over.

Clubs can be easily replaced, broken bones can not.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Birdie srennick is on a distinguished road srennick's Avatar
    I completely agree with Denny here...

I just don't understand how so many people feel that the unplayable ball penalty is optional. You don't want to risk yourself or your club you don't have to, but relief costs a stroke and there is a proper procedure for it.

It's not about "risking your club or your body", it's about not wanting to apply the proper penalty if you decide you don't want to play it as it lies.

It's not about "taking things too seriously" its about playing the game properly, by the rules. Is the stroke so hard to accept? Do you feel better about yourself or your game when claiming to have scored one stroke better than you really did?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Why is it so difficult for some to play by the rules?

I have never heard it suggested but putting a pair of protective goggles in one's bag, would certainly lessen the danger element for situations like these. Another time when goggles would be of benefit would be when hitting a bunker shot into the wind. Getting sand in one's eyes is not pleasant, particularly if you are wearing contact lenses.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I guess I just don't care that much and either do the guys I play with. The courses are not in the same condition as the PGA and sometimes there can be rocks and other crap in spots where there should be grass. We don't give ourselves a better angle or any advantage. If you hit in the woods and the ball is against a tree, then take an unplayable. If you have an out and the swing will hit a root, then move it the min amount so that you can take a punch shot without hitting the root, but not giving you a better angle to the hole. Is this breaking the rules, yes. Do any of us care, no. It's not much different then not doing the proper drop procedures and provisional balls. Who really does all that when the course is packed and 4-somes are lined up. Played Renfrew yesterday, it took 5 hours and 15 mins. Can you imagine how long it would have taken if everyone on the course would have played by the rules to a T.

Oh well. We tried.

Thread Information