100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
    I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road

Rangefinder or GPS

Let me know what you have...the newer the better...

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    Let me know what you have...the newer the better...
    The Brunton model is still on sale at Canadian Tire until tomorrow for $150. It works pretty well, I think even better than the 800 you purchased off me a couple of years ago:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

BigFlopper
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    The Brunton model is still on sale at Canadian Tire until tomorrow for $150. It works pretty well, I think even better than the 800 you purchased off me a couple of years ago:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true
    I found this one on the web ... $133.00, $6.66 discount (?) and $12.99 shipping.

http://www.eders.com/products/brunto...der-black.html

There's camo ones out there too

Quote Originally Posted by BigFlopper View Post
    I found this one on the web ... $133.00, $6.66 discount (?) and $12.99 shipping.

http://www.eders.com/products/brunto...der-black.html

There's camo ones out there too
    Shipped, dutied and exchanged to Canada would that not end up being more expensive than purchasing the same model on sale at CDN Tire for $149.99?
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

BigFlopper
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    Shipped, dutied and exchanged to Canada would that not end up being more expensive than purchasing the same model on sale at CDN Tire for $149.99?
    It'll be close. Not sure if it qualifies for the electronics exemption. Something that small usually slips past duty and taxes. It could be an option if you don't make the CT sale.

Besides, there's the camo option.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    GPS rules, intelligolf with a windows mobile PDA is the way to go IMO if you are going to be playing the same courses again and again. If not, then get the range finder
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

The only issue I have with GPS is that I'm not sure whether they can give you the exact yardage to the pin. Most of them do provide info regarding the front/center/back of the green but never on the exact placement. Do any GPS users find this as being an issue?

BigFlopper
    The only issue I have with GPS is that I'm not sure whether they can give you the exact yardage to the pin. Most of them do provide info regarding the front/center/back of the green but never on the exact placement. Do any GPS users find this as being an issue?
    Also, what about things like distance to water, trees (eg corner of fairway), etc? Would those have to be plotted on a GPS? Does a rangefinder pick up things like that?

they can't give exact yardage to the pin but they do give yardages to points that you can't see and you can pretty much guess the yardage to the pin if you know front back centre and where the pin placement is.
    willy

BG458
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    GPS rules, intelligolf with a windows mobile PDA is the way to go IMO if you are going to be playing the same courses again and again. If not, then get the range finder

Intelligolf gps rocks!!!!!!!!!!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    When I used to use my GPS I had multiple points on the green marked. More than just front/back/center.

On greens that you know it isn't such a big deal but for oddly shaped greens on ones that you aren't familiar with it can misclub you by as much as a full club.

I only use my rangefinder now.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    When I used to use my GPS I had multiple points on the green marked. More than just front/back/center.

On greens that you know it isn't such a big deal but for oddly shaped greens on ones that you aren't familiar with it can misclub you by as much as a full club.

I only use my rangefinder now.
    why would you need multiple points on the green?
    willy

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    when you have a green that is 70 80 feet long or wide, front middle and back is not really much of a help. not much better than just using the yardage marked on the course,

range finder will give you exact to the pin,

range finder is much more precise and you can mesaure to anything.
    GPS is nice when you know the course so well you can then work from it, but laser is best in my opinion. (both is the ultimate LOL)

they can't give exact yardage to the pin but they do give yardages to points that you can't see and you can pretty much guess the yardage to the pin if you know front back centre and where the pin placement is.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfott View Post
    when you have a green that is 70 80 feet long or wide, front middle and back is not really much of a help. not much better than just using the yardage marked on the course,
    I hope you meant yards....70-80 feet is a pretty small green, but you're right, front/middle/back does not matter much in that case.

Personally I'm not good enough to dial in distances to the degree a rangefinder/gps would justify. I had a Bushnell that I was a pain to use, hard to pick up flags etc. I find when I play with guys who use them my calculated distance is usually within 2-3 yards of what the rangefinder says (providing the markers are correct on course).

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    why would you need multiple points on the green?
    If the green is a funny shape or on a diagonal to the fairway more reference points help since the flag can be put in different sections of the green.

I used to mark things like front right corner, back left corner, back middle, front middle, etc.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    i mostly agree.

when in the fairway and going to the green, just knowing the yardage marker on the ground is usually enough, they are normally pretty accurate. and 99% of people who say they need to know the yardage exact are just full of C#&p. ( laugh every time i say something like " it is 145 in, and someone has to say nope 143, as if they have any idea how to hit 2 yards less because if that. then they go on and miss the green entirely!!)

but where it is really useful is measuring to things that are not marked out on the course, how far to the ideal lay up point, how afar to carry pond, to the trees etc., that is where they become quite useful

as an aside, this is what I always thought was so ridiculous about the system set up at clublink. ( unless you bought the rel expensive device) the normal device they were selling only gave you yardage to the pin. well like i say, if marked on course, not much help,

Hybrid Riddell is on a distinguished road

You can't use a skycaddie on the range. I use rangefinders mainly to check my distances with each club on the range.
    Very rarely do I use the rangefinder on the course. I am a feel player so I like to walk of my yardage, check the wind and pull the club with which I feel most comfortable.
    However it's in the bag, so if I happen to be in a situation where I really want to check the yardage vs. what the signs say (for example if I am playing at Bearbrook ), or if I have the option of hitting a shot to the green across the water but the markers are set up for doglegging around the lake, then I might pull out the rangefinder to make sure of the distance.

Found...thanks guys!

Thread Information