CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge careyhrrs67 is on a distinguished road careyhrrs67's Avatar

Question Taylormade R80 Shafts Info!

I have a set of taylormade supersteel burners with R80 shafts and i need to know everything there is to know about the R80 shafts, i know the R is for reg flex, but whats the 80 for? is it the weight in grams or the specified swing speed of 80 mph, or is it the frequency number? also, ive done exstensive homework about them and found out that the shafts are origanally the taper tipped rifle precision shafts, ok, if their rifles, then what are the true flexes of those shafts by royal precisions flex measurments before there shipped to taylormade? i'll guess there 5.0 or 5.5 according to rifles standards.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Constant weight shafts 80 grams each from the 3 throught the pw. No it is not the frequency.

R80 is the weight for regular flex
    S90 is the weight for stiff
    TS100 is the weight for tour stiff

http://www.golfpro-online.com/news/y...ylormade2.html
    Precision Flighted Constant Weight Rifle steel shafts are available in three flexes; R- 80, S-90 and TS-100 as well as TaylorMade Lite Flighted Constant Weight graphite shafts in four flexes;
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by careyhrrs67 View Post
    ok, if their rifles, then what are the true flexes of those shafts by royal precisions flex measurments before there shipped to taylormade? i'll guess there 5.0 or 5.5 according to rifles standards.
    FYI, Royal Precision's Rifle standards are 4.5 or 5.0 for regular flex. My guess is that the R80 shafts would be close to 4.5 on the Rifle scale.

Putter jima9426 is on a distinguished road
    I've disassembled a few sets of TMs with the RP produced R80, S90, and TS100 shafts, and here's what I know from observation.

The numbers (80, 90, and 100 respectively) do not indicate weight in grams. The shafts weight more than that when cut. As far as I can tell, the number designation is arbitrary.

By my measurements on a frequency machine, the respective FCM of each flex is: R80=4.5, S90=5.5, TS100=6.0.

The length, weight, and flight characteristics are sorted in subsets. For example: in a full set (3-PW) of S90 shafts, #'s 3-5 are 40" long uncut, weigh 111 grams, have a low kick point; #6-8 are 38.5" long uncut, weigh 111 grams, and have a mid kick point; and #9-PW are 37" long uncut, weigh 111 grams, and have a high kick point.

I've also run into some 9 and PW shafts with what appears to have once been larger than a .370 tip, possibly .400.

Hope this helps.

Putter waleeed is on a distinguished road
    Constant weight shafts 80 grams each from the 3 throught the pw. No it is not the frequency.
    waleeed

Thread Information