100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Save the HNIC theme song

CBC is literally going to have a riot on their hands if they don't find a way to keep the theme song to Hockey Night in Canada. That they would even consider having HNIC without that theme song is absurd!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    CBC is literally going to have a riot on their hands if they don't find a way to keep the theme song to Hockey Night in Canada. That they would even consider having HNIC without that theme song is absurd!
    From what I have read CBC violated their contract with the composer of the song. So that is an issue they have to deal with. Then renew the contract. $500 each time they used the song in the past contract.

Would I miss the song? Sure I would. Would I watch hockey on CBC without the theme song? Yes I would (Unless it was the Leafs which it usualy is on Saturday night in SW Ontario)

I doubt CBC will have a riot on their hands if they lose the song. It is just a song. no big deal IMO.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Putter Golfnutz is on a distinguished road
    Hockey always seems to bring out the Canada in us all. You can raise our taxes and we'll get upset. You can have the gas prices go up and down like a yoyo, but mess with our game, or the song that is our game and the country flies into a rage. I love Canada!!!!!!!!!!

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Go to cbc.ca, send them a message. Don't complaint if you aren't prepared to take action. They know where I stand now. Power to the people!

Baxter
    When I 1st thought about it, I was also thinking " No way'"That song has to be kept" than I thought about some more...I PVR most games and fast forward to the puck drop....So I don't care if it sticks around or not......

Plus maybe it is time to get into the year 2000 and pick a new song. Pump it up a little bit! Then again they could pump it up with the opening theme song and right after that we'd still have to listen to BOB COLE

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Carefule Golfbum, knowing the CBC they'll commission Celine Dion for the new song.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Carefule Golfbum, knowing the CBC they'll commission Celine Dion for the new song.

I go to a few London Knights home games and they have some of the best intro songs going. They pump up the crowd with their songs. They play Saliva, Ladies and Gentlmen and this song rocks! They show the band on the big overhead video screen. The difference is they have mix in video clips of the Knights and some of their highlight goals, hits and fights. It truly is an awesome opening theme song.

CBC Sports needs to get their heads out of the sand. Replace Bob Cole for one thing, change up the HNIC Theme song. It's just a song, find something more up to date.

However CBC's way of thinking is "Do not offend the older hockey fans, keep things subtle"

I think I am going to get the NHL Package next fall, I am tired of watching CBC HNIC on Saturday night and being constantly stuck watching the Leafs. That is not HNIC, that is HNIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post

I go to a few London Knights home games and they have some of the best intro songs going. They pump up the crowd with their songs. They play Saliva, Ladies and Gentlmen and this song rocks! They show the band on the big overhead video screen. The difference is they have mix in video clips of the Knights and some of their highlight goals, hits and fights. It truly is an awesome opening theme song.

CBC Sports needs to get their heads out of the sand. Replace Bob Cole for one thing, change up the HNIC Theme song. It's just a song, find something more up to date.

However CBC's way of thinking is "Do not offend the older hockey fans, keep things subtle"

I think I am going to get the NHL Package next fall, I am tired of watching CBC HNIC on Saturday night and being constantly stuck watching the Leafs. That is not HNIC, that is HNIT.
    I have to disagree completely. The CBC does already have a 'pump up' song that they play at 6:30. They play Nickelback' cover of Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting. I wish they used The Who's version of the song, but I do think that song fits in to your category of pump up songs. That said, the idea behind a tv broadcast and an in-arena song is quite different. The purpose of the TV theme is not necessarily to get anyone pumped up, but to introduce their product (HNIC) with a recognizable, memorable, and identifiable song. It's branding. And they currently have the most recognizable and popular song in Canada as their theme song. It's foolish to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I have to disagree completely. The CBC does already have a 'pump up' song that they play at 6:30. They play Nickelback' cover of Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting. I wish they used The Who's version of the song, but I do think that song fits in to your category of pump up songs. That said, the idea behind a tv broadcast and an in-arena song is quite different. The purpose of the TV theme is not necessarily to get anyone pumped up, but to introduce their product (HNIC) with a recognizable, memorable, and identifiable song. It's branding. And they currently have the most recognizable and popular song in Canada as their theme song. It's foolish to change it.
    Not sure how old you are jonf, but I recall HNIC when I was 8, (44 years ago, and I am sure there or others older than I am )watching it in B&W. HNIC does not need to play that current theme song in order to be identified.

We all know what HNIC is presenting on a Saturday night. I for one do not bother watching the pre game show.

Change is good. Imagine if we were still playing golf with balatas and persimmion steel shafted drivers? Or driving Model T's? Watching B&W TV's instead of HD LCD's?

I think the biggest problem HNIC has is the constant broadcast of Leafs games & Bob Cole.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Hockey Night in Canada is not Hockey Night in Canada without that song. I'm 33. I remember it when I was 4 or 5. I want to hear it when I'm 97 and living in a home. It's tradition, and it should not be changed or lost.

Not sure how old you are jonf, but I recall HNIC when I was 8, (44 years ago, and I am sure there or others older than I am )watching it in B&W. HNIC does not need to play that current theme song in order to be identified.

We all know what HNIC is presenting on a Saturday night. I for one do not bother watching the pre game show.

Change is good. Imagine if we were still playing golf with balatas and persimmion steel shafted drivers? Or driving Model T's? Watching B&W TV's instead of HD LCD's?

I think the biggest problem HNIC has is the constant broadcast of Leafs games & Bob Cole.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

And for 40 of those years, it has been introduced by that oh-so-familiar theme. It's not like they're changing a theme song that has been there for 10 years. 40 years of Saturday night's have been introduced by that theme. Getting rid of it would be like firing Foster Hewitt, or changing the Canadiens jersey.

Change is good, but not inherently so. I'd much rather be driving a Model T than most of the junk on the road now.

I certainly agree that HNIC's biggest problem is the Leaf games and poor commentary. If they abandon their song though, there will be a new biggest problem.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    According to TSN, CTV just gained the rights to "The Hockey Song" in perpetuity, and it will be used on TSN hockey broadcasts, and on their coverage of the 2010 Olympics.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2401...=topStory_main
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Well that pretty much means CBC will be searching for a new Theme Song.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Goes to show Bob and Harry might not be a problem soon enough. And we get to keep the song!
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    my guess is we'll be hearing the song 'saturday' by knickleback as the theme song now on cbc.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Thread Information