+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Euros!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar

Euros!

Anyone else pumped for the Euros? This tournament usually produces much more competitive football than the World Cup, a team really has to earn their way in. Unless you're Switzerland or Austria that is. Anyway, cheering for the Netherlands but secretly hoping Spain will do well, they are the Ottawa Senators of the international game. So talented but never really living up to the advance billing.

Ah well, even the Germans and Italians are playing attacking, attractive football, should be a great tournament. Can't wait for the start in 2 hours!

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    There are gonna be some great games , i think this tournament is one of the best due to the fact that the teams are a little closer in terms of skills and playing types.
    This time around should be even better considering that there aren't any outright favorites , looking forward to my time in front of the tv .
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    GO SCOTLAND.......oh

Good luck spackler, your group is a a tough one. I thin Romania may be a surprise team too. Hopefully the Dutch and the Romanians will knock out France and Italy (no bitterness here...)

If the dutch get through the group, I think they will win the whole damn thing, other than that my money is on Italy to clinch "the double".

I would have loved to see the Scots there. My mom is Scottish and my Dad is Dutch, so I cheer for them both. At least they're competitive now, that was a long time in the wilderness since '98. Things are looking up.

I am more than a little worried that the Dutch are too weak at the back to make too much of an impression. They're magnificent up front and in the midfield, so either they're going to win games 4-3 or hope van der Sar can make some magic. I agree with you on Romania, very solid team and they drew the Dutch twice in qualifying and finished ahead of them so they won't be a surprise to me. I had the pleasure of watching Chivu many times at the ArenA when he played for Ajax and he is a great player. Mutu is obviously back on track too.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    My Germans put on a clinic today! L O V E D it! Mind you three of the german squad were born in Poland, but oh well.

Tomorrow's Italy-Dutch game is gonna be W I C K E D!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That group is nuts, certainly the group of death!

My wife is already mad at me for watching it. LOL
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Really looking forward to this tourney. Still upset that England didn't make it, but there will be plenty of great soccer. I think Germany is going to run away with it. Hopefully they start using Schweinsteiger as a starter - he's way too good not to be on the field...probably my favourite player right now.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    I hate "football" My cousins made me watch it while in the UK and I've never missed hockey more in my life. 1-0 after 90min?? No thanks That being said... go italy!!!
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    I hate "football" My cousins made me watch it while in the UK and I've never missed hockey more in my life. 1-0 after 90min?? No thanks That being said... go italy!!!
    For someone who hates the 'boring' low scoring nature of soccer, Italy sure is an odd choice of team to cheer for. Talk about a yawn-fest.

Lob Wedge cdnputter is on a distinguished road cdnputter's Avatar
    I like Portugal's chances, albeit very limited if Ronaldo doesn't perform as the world class striker he is. Their group isn't very strong and they should advance easily, depending on their game against the Czech Republic.
    Proud member of the championship 2008 TGN Ryder Cup team.

Talk about a dive-a-thon. Soccer is really starting to disgust me. Shameful.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Talk about a dive-a-thon. Soccer is really starting to disgust me. Shameful.
    It's just starting to disgust you now?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

It gets worse and worse. And the Dutch were never this bad. I think they even surpassed Italy in diving today, which I didn't think was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    It gets worse and worse. And the Dutch were never this bad. I think they even surpassed Italy in diving today, which I didn't think was possible.
    I think that's pretty harsh. Van Nistelrooy gave up a sure penalty call by not going down when Buffon clipped him. There was hardly any flopping at all in the game, especially surprising considering how physical the tackling was in the first half hour.

I couldn't count the number of times people got lightly clipped with a hip or shoulder and jumped in the air with knees bent and hands extended to the heavens.

Nistelroy may have stayed up there, but that was only because - A - he hadn't been touched at all and - B - he still had a great chance at goal. He went down way too easily a few times later in the game.

Not saying Italy didn't do it too. They were flopping all over the place as well, but I've come to expect it from them. I was disappointed that the Dutch, who I often cheer for, decided they'd join Italy in playing the flop game, rather than actually playing football.

*sigh*

Is the way football had become over the last 6 or 7 years. Sometimes I yell at the television in absolute derision at some of the nancies who tumble even though if they'd stayed on their feet they'd have been clean through on goal. Saying that, EURO 2008 hasn't been too bad so far, the World Cup was ridiculous IMO. Glad to have seen quite a few referees motion to the divers to get up, however, I'd like to see them yellow card more divers as it is the worst form of cheating IMO.

Oh and Spacker. Congratulations man, Holland were amazing, that 2nd goal was an absolute joy to witness. Sublime, pure brilliance. More please (a message to all the teams, and that means you Romania, Russia, Poland, Austria and Russia!).

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Hate football? Go Italy?

Thats it, I am never playing golf with you again!
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Hate football? Go Italy?

Thats it, I am never playing golf with you again!

Alot of people say that, and it's not because of his dislike for soccer.....ahem, I mean football.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

So true... So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Alot of people say that, and it's not because of his dislike for soccer.....ahem, I mean football.

All credit to the Croatians who were very good, but wow, was Germany ever AWFUL today. Ballack? Brutal. Gomez? Brutal. Klose? Not very good. Podolski? He was ok. Schweinsteiger? Great...until he saw red. Probably a one-off game for the Germans, but it sets up a Portugal-Germany quarter now.

Schweinsteiger!

WooHo. Bye Bye Portugal.
    Now all I need is for Holland and Spain to win.
    Could nto care less about the Turkey-Croatia match.

Schweinsteiger was awesome, great game. Holland and Spain are in tough Reza. Russia are flying right now, and Italy is like Germany, they always build to the finish. I hope you're right though.

As much as I hate to admit it, the Azzuri are like cock roaches. Every time you think you have exterminated them, they show up...

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Schweinsteiger was awesome, great game. Holland and Spain are in tough Reza. Russia are flying right now, and Italy is like Germany, they always build to the finish. I hope you're right though.

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    Turkey is the dark Horse. No one is expecting them to be there. I don't know why I say that but they remind me of Greece 4 years ago.

Italy and Germany are also in the running.

The Dutch must be looked at as favorites.

That's my opinion.
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

As long as Schweinsteiger is healthy, Germany will win. Without a doubt.

Arshavin is fantastic, the Russians ran circles around the Dutch today and fully deserved the win. I would have liked to see Robben in there today to counter the Russian speed with a blazer of their own, but second guessing is for losers. Sad day.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    don't really care about "football" but that russia game was sick today. I really enjoyed it
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Arshavin is fantastic, the Russians ran circles around the Dutch today and fully deserved the win. I would have liked to see Robben in there today to counter the Russian speed with a blazer of their own, but second guessing is for losers. Sad day.
    Ya, I was really surprised when the Dutch used their third sub and didn't put Robben in. He and Van Persie had been their spark all tournament, so it was quite a surprise that they didn't go with them.

Thread Information