+ Reply to Thread
    Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar

Brunton Range Finder

Anyone familiar with the Brunton Ranger Finder 440? It's rated up to 440 yards and has 6x magnification. Currently, it's on sale for $150 ($50 off) at CT.

Recently sold a Bushnell Medalist which only has 4x magnification.

Dave

Looks like this model is the same as the I-ON LS101B. For golf, the range is up to 250 yards. Use a 3v battery.

Dave

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I just tried my Bushnell Yardage Pro trophy that I bought off ebay for ~$150 and I love it. Its got 5x zoom and works great around 200y and in. The courses I play all have the reflectors on the pins and its great. Gets the reading very quickly.

Tried the Brunton Echo in my backyard....it's a bit smaller than the Bushnell Medalist and seems pretty quick at getting distances...a press of a button gets you a quick reading...hold the button for the 3 seconds and you get a more accurate measurement. It also has a "quality of target indication" bar type meter which the Bushnell Medalist doesn't have. The Echo has three different modes of scanning..."standard" is less than 150 yards, ">150" is for more than 150 yards. "rain" is for scanning in less than ideal conditions which the laser pulses for a more accurate reading in inclimate weather (yardage should be 65 yards or more). A 3 volt CR2 battery is pricey ($13-$15 each)...rated for 2500 firings per battery. On the other hand, the Medalist uses the much cheaper, standard 9 volt battery. The Medalist seems heavier than the Echo too. The Medalist has the very nice Pinseeker feature which is not available on the Echo. Although it is rated for between 15 and 440 yards, I have read that it tops out about 250 yards for golf. I am pretty sure that the Medalist would meet or exceed this figure...the Medalist also goes lower to about 5 or so yards. 4x zoom for the Medalist. 6x for the Echo.

Based on my very limited demo of the Echo, it's $150 sale price is a pretty good value buy.

Dave

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Thanks for the review ... I'm mulling it over...
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

BigFlopper
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    I just tried my Bushnell Yardage Pro trophy that I bought off ebay for ~$150 and I love it. Its got 5x zoom and works great around 200y and in. The courses I play all have the reflectors on the pins and its great. Gets the reading very quickly.
    Are the reflectors there to make it easier for the laser to pick up the pin, or are they used in combination with some feature on the range finder?

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    Thanks for the review ... I'm mulling it over...
    Well, did you buckle and get them...now that the sale is over?

Dave

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Well, did you buckle and get them...now that the sale is over?

Dave

Actually they are on sale until tomorrow
    I was heading to Cincinatti next week for a Golf Equipment Afficionados event so I bought a used Bushnell from a fellow GEAer and had it shipped to another person attending the event
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Eagle dhacker1956 is on a distinguished road

brunton?

We don't have the Brunton in the States that I have seen but if it is like the Ion it would be hard to hit the flag any where past 175yds. At least for an old fart like me! but then again 6x would help as the Ion is only 4X.

Thread Information