CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Exclamation Tips to speed up play

I've been playing (at) golf since 1974, but have not played regularly (60+ rounds/year) until about four years ago. I am an 18 handicapper and will probably stay in that range. I don't have the time to commit to improving, sad to say. I wish I could play faster, but clearly taking 90 strokes or so a round does not take 4.5 hours. I'd like to learn what I can do to speed things up. Someone said earlier in the thread that it is the "between" shot stuff that causes delay. Well, how about some "tips" on how to speed up play. Maybe we'll all benefit from that. I'll start the thread, hope you find it a worthwhile exercise.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Here are my tips:

1) 8 practice swings it 6 too many
    2) On the green, begin to read your putt if it does not interfere with the other players concentration or line. Don't stand there leaning on your putter.
    3) While walking in between shots, look at where you are, where you want to go and start to formulate a plan on how to get there.
    4) If you are in a 4some and 2 balls are off the fairway, split into groups of 2 and look for both ball simultaneously.

Here is one I got from an older golfer some time ago that would save a lot of time...

Park your cart, electric or pull, on the path to the next tee box. Take all the clubs you may need for your next shot(s) with you to your ball. Taking a cart around the back of the green or to the "off" side just delays clearing the green for the next group.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    - If you've lagged your putt inside 2 feet, and you're not interfering with another player's line, putt out and get out of the way.

- If you're the first to putt out, go grab the flag and be ready to put it back in the hole as soon as the last player is finished.

- Your group's priority is to stay no more than 1/2 a hole behind the group in front of you.

- Allow faster players through.

- Play "ready golf". Save the honour for tournament play.

- Mark your score while you're waiting to tee off on the next hole, not around the hole you've just finished.

- Have, at least, a basic knowledge of rules like, 24, 26, 27, & 28.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Here are my tips:

4) If you are in a 4some and 2 balls are off the fairway, split into groups of 2 and look for both ball simultaneously.
    I believe your should NEVER look for someone else's ball until AFTER you have already played your own (unless you're WAAAAY ahead of them). I think any time you have 4 people looking and nobody hitting you are not playing "ready golf", even if you have split them into groups of two.

The rules allow 5 minutes to look for a ball. By the time somebody's 5 minutes is up, two other people probably could have played theirs. If they haven't, they are slowing down play. I realize people are just trying to help, but MY TIP would be to play first, then look.

Ref the ready golf. Surprised how few people actually know about this. I have only had a handful of people ask, if no one charges the tee box, over my last 200 rounds.

Does this also apply to the fairway and the green? Assuming of course that it is safe to do so (fairway) and does not disturb the line or set up of someone on the green. I have seen guys like me (18 hdcp) who have all hit relatively the same distance dancing around and waiting for someone else to hit. Not a big deal as someone usually says "go" while the select a club but multiply that by 18 holes and it can eat up the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    - Allow faster players through.
    ALL your tips are good LW, but this one sounds great in theory but usually fails miserably in practice. The problem is that many golfers don't do the "playing through" thing properly. Instead, they do this by actually waiting around on the tee box while the "faster players" catch up to them and then play through - which is not a good thing.

Personally I think the onus should be on the faster players to ask permission to play through slower groups when and if they catch up to them, rather than on slower groups to "allow" the faster players through. Of course, if the faster players ask nicely and there is room for them ahead, then they should be allowed to do so.

If a group is slow because they don't play ready golf, chances are they won't do the "playing through" thing properly either - and that just messes it up for everyone else behind them. Personally I think "playing through" usually SLOWS DOWN play for most people on the course.

Re: Play Through... not sure I understand the difference between your two examples - wait vs catch up. I know in the past when our foursome is overtaken by a smaller/faster group we will let them tee off with us and then they can walk briskly ahead and play their next shot while we walk behind at a slower pace. Seems to have worked for us in the past with little delay noted. I would not suggest to my playing partners that we let anyone through if (1) there is no room ahead, or (2) we are not impeding their pace of play. But if they are putting the flag back into the hole behind us and we are just getting ready to tee off then we invite them to play through.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    The group in front of us let us play through yesterday and it was done perfectly. They are 4 and we are 2 with a cart... Here is the way to do it.

On a par 3 after they were on the green they waive us on... they finish their putt and they go to the next hole and hit their balls... by the time we finish our hole. When we get to the next tee they let us hit and by the time they walk to their balls we had hit our 2nd shot and were out of site... NO TIME was wasted...

Waiving through is a great thing if it is done right...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Re: Play Through... not sure I understand the difference between your two examples - wait vs catch up. I know in the past when our foursome is overtaken by a smaller/faster group we will let them tee off with us and then they can walk briskly ahead and play their next shot while we walk behind at a slower pace. Seems to have worked for us in the past with little delay noted. I would not suggest to my playing partners that we let anyone through if (1) there is no room ahead, or (2) we are not impeding their pace of play. But if they are putting the flag back into the hole behind us and we are just getting ready to tee off then we invite them to play through.
    You're doing it right. Unfortunately, many people do it like this:

A smaller/faster group is hot on your tail (perhaps even hitting into your group), so you decide/they demand to play through. Your group WAITS for them at the tee box, WAITS some more while they hit their shots, and then WAITS even longer while they walk to their balls, hit their next shots and get out of range.

By this time your group has just spent 15-20 minutes doing absolutely nothing. The smaller/faster group DID NOT offer to let your group hit their shots as well, or "wave you up" to help keep pace. Of course they are ecstatic that they finally got past the "slowpokes" and now have an open course in front of them. Unfortunately, while your group was waiting for them to get out the way, the next group has now caught up with you and is also waiting. The groups are starting to pile up behind yours, and nobody in your group has hit a golf ball. And so whole cycle starts all over again...

Unfortunately the above scenario is very common. For those who do not play ready golf, this is often how they "allow faster groups to play through" - and it generally makes pace-of-play worse for everyone behind them.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    - Play "ready golf". Save the honour for tournament play.
    As Dan quoted back in 2005 (not sure the original source but it's not mine). I find that the biggest problem with pace of play is exactly this, being ready to play when it's your turn.

The Rules of Ready Golf (March, 2001)

Introduction

We all know what Ready Golf is, don't we?

It means playing our shots when we're ready. Right? WRONG?

Ready Golf means THINKING AHEAD so that you're READY TO PLAY when it is YOUR TURN.

Ready Golf applies EVERYWHERE on the golf course -- on the tees, on the fairways and on the greens.

On The Tee

Ready Golf, we often hear, means that the person who is ready at the tee should hit first. That is simply not true. Ready Golf means that the player with the honors should be READY to HIT FIRST. If the player with the honors isn't ready, only then should someone else hit first.

On The Fairway

Golfers are typically at their worst AFTER they have hit their tee shots. How often do you see players watch other players hit first, and start thinking about their shot only when it's their turn? How often do you see drivers of carts wait for their partners to hit before driving to their own balls? How many times do you see four golfers walk to the player's ball that is farthest from the hole and wait for that player to hit, then move down the fairway to the other balls as if they were a caravan?

Ready Golf means that ALL golfers should go to their balls as soon as possible and get READY to play their shots. While waiting to hit, PLAYERS should SURVEY their shot, SELECT their clubs, TAKE them from their bags, and STAND at their balls READY to step up and make the shot when it is their turn. That's Ready Golf!

Ready Golf particularly means that the DRIVERS of carts should DROP OFF their partners, let them CHOOSE their clubs (take extra ones if required), DRIVE to their own balls, and then get READY to play. DRIVERS should NOT wait for their partners to hit the shot, and then drive to their own balls to make their shots.

All players should GO TO THEIR BALLS as soon as possible. The only time players should wait for other players is if the first player's ball is in front of the other players' in such a way that the other players could be hit by the first player's shot. In particular, a CARAVAN of players should NEVER CONVERGE unless their balls are all in the same location. The only time players should stop in a group and wait for a player to hit is if the line of flight of that player's shot prevents the other players from going to their own balls.

Hint: Walk down the sides of the fairway to reach your ball, determine your club selection while waiting, and then move towards the center to your ball. You can usually get close to your ball and get ready to play the shot, while players behind you can still make their shots.

Helping To Find Lost Balls

It is important that everyone try to help out to find a lost ball in order to keep playing moving. But players should do it AFTER hitting their shots, not BEFORE. How often do you see four or five players searching for a lost ball, while NONE of them are getting ready to hit?

Use common sense. The player who is closest to the pin and scheduled to hit last should be the first to help the player whose ball is lost, while the players who are farthest away from the pin should PLAY THEIR SHOTS FIRST. When the players farthest away have played their shots, they should resume looking for the lost ball, while the players who are closest should get ready to PLAY THEIR SHOTS. In this way, slow play is not compounded because of a lost ball.

Entering And Exiting Greens

How many times do you see players leave their clubs in front of a Green? When the players finish, they then walk to the front to get their clubs. ALWAYS, and we mean ALWAYS, leave clubs at the back or side of the Green closest to the next tee. If a shot is played in front of the Green first, the player should move his or her clubs to the back or side of the Green before playing the next shot. NOTHING is MORE ANNOYING than watching players walk to the FRONT of a Green to retrieve their clubs AFTER everyone has putted out. AND don't stand around chatting and writing down scores either. After the group has putted, go to the next tee, so the group behind can play their shots.

Speeding Play On The Greens

Emulating the pros around the putting green has done more to slow down golf than any other single event. How often do you see players waiting until it is their turn to play, and then walking around the putt as though they were putting to win a green jacket at the Master's?

Playing Ready Golf around the Greens means getting READY to putt BEFORE it is your turn! Players should line up their putts WHILE other players are putting, so they're ready to putt when it's their turn..

Ready Golf also means putting CONTINUOUSLY if the ball is not in someone else's line, and if the player does not have to spend a lot of time surveying the putt. If you miss a putt by one or two feet, for example, and have an open stance to make the next putt, you should MAKE the putt INSTEAD of MARKING the ball and waiting for another turn -- unless it is a tricky putt and you want extra time to survey it. In that case, mark the ball and survey the putt while someone else putts. When it is your turn, walk up to the ball, take your stance and make your putt.

While there are no time rules associated with putting, a rule of thumb is to get off your putt within 20 seconds from when it is your turn. This means you should be able to approach the ball, take your stance and make your putt within 20 seconds. Obviously, you can only do this if you SURVEY the putt WHILE other players are putting. When you putt, you should always take your time, so you make a smooth, unhurried stroke. Ready Golf DOES NOT mean RUSHING.

If you prepare in advance to putt, you can take your time AND play Ready Golf.

Farthest From The Hole

There is no reason Ready Golfers can't play in the order of who is farthest from the hole. In Ready Golf, the person farthest from the hole should be READY to play first. There are, however, a few common sense exceptions.

In a foursome in which one or two players are walking and one or two are using carts, the players with the carts should hit FIRST if they reach their ball first and are Ready to play.

When someone hits a shot, but is still farthest from the hole, players should hit BEFORE that player if they are Ready. Here are two examples. If a player hits a tree or some obstruction with a second shot and is still farthest from the hole, the players closer to the hole should hit first to speed up play.

If someone is off the Green in a sand trap and hits it furthest from the hole, the other players should not wait for that player to walk around the green to play the next shot. Play should continue until that player is READY to make the next shot. In fact, NOTHING is more DISCONCERTING than watching three players on the green WAITING while the fourth player cleans up the sand, walks to the ball, surveys the putt and then plays.

Summary

Ready Golf means BEING READY to play, not playing when you're ready. Here are some simple rules.

1.Walk to your ball as soon as possible, so that you can choose your club and think about the shot in ADVANCE, not when it is your turn.

2.When driving a cart, drop off your partner first, let your partner choose his or her club, and then drive to your own ball to get READY to play.

3.When a ball is lost, hit your shot FIRST and then help look for the lost ball.

4.Walk down the SIDES of the fairway to reach your ball and then APPROACH it from the center. NEVER play in a caravan, moving in a group from ball to ball..

5.When on the Green, line up your putt BEFORE it is your turn, and putt out immediately instead of marking, if you are not in someone else's line.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    What I've never understood when playing in a group of golfers of relatively the same skill and distance level, why do we all stand and watch our partners hit their ball? When I play with people I know and we've all hit our balls relatively the same distance, I don't wait for them to hit if they are the same distance away as I am. As long as no one is in each others way we should all hit as soon as we are ready. Play ready golf on the tee box too. First one up and ready, fire away. Same with putting. If one person is 2 feet from the hole and the others are all 15 or more, putt in your 2 foot putt while everyone else reads theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    As Dan quoted back in 2005 (not sure the original source but it's not mine). I find that the biggest problem with pace of play is exactly this, being ready to play when it's your turn.
    Great find, Garth. One of the best articles on ready golf I have ever read. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jsttaylor
    What I've never understood when playing in a group of golfers of relatively the same skill and distance level, why do we all stand and watch our partners hit their ball? When I play with people I know and we've all hit our balls relatively the same distance, I don't wait for them to hit if they are the same distance away as I am.
    I think watching other people hit their ball is a good thing, as long as you've already done your own pre-shot stuff first and are ready to play. It reduces the time spent looking for a potentially-lost ball if 4 people saw where it went.

... and I hope you're not suggesting its OK to hit your ball at the same time as someone else, because that would be very poor etiquette. Nothing screws me up more than the nearby sound of a golf club on a golf ball when I'm halfway into my backswing - you can't help but flinch and a very poor shot usually results. If people would just be ready to hit when its their turn, the round will move along nicely.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'm not sure if I agree 100% with the "Rules" of ready golf. I know that if I were the "short" hitter in the group I'd be very annoyed if my FCs just kept walking ahead of me to their own balls before I had a chance to play my shot.

IMO proper etiquette out-weighs pretty much everything else on the golf course.

Another pet peeve of mine is how singles and two-somes expect a four-some to play at the same pace that they are. If you are booking as a single or a two-some you should expect 1 of 2 things:

1. To get paired up with other players
    2. To do a lot waiting, especially on the weekends when the course is filled up.

I know that a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I feel that the days of the 4 hour round are gone, especially on the weekends. I can't remember the last time that I've played a round in under 4.5 to 5 hours

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    i wonder more and more about marhsalls,

rarely do i see a marshall tell a player to pick up their ball. If there is an open group inform of you, you are too slow, and if you can not pick up the pace, and groups are waiting behind you, you should be forced to pick up and move on, that is one of the main responsibilities of a marshall.

many players ignore marshalls, specially at private clubs, but directors need to impower their marshalls to force players to pick up, or be removed if it becomes necessary.

IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by golfott View Post

rarely do i see a marshall tell a player to pick up their ball. If there is an open group inform of you, you are too slow, and if you can not pick up the pace, and groups are waiting behind you, you should be forced to pick up and move on, that is one of the main responsibilities of a marshall.

many players ignore marshalls, specially at private clubs, but directors need to impower their marshalls to force players to pick up, or be removed if it becomes necessary.

IMHO
    Excellent point!!!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    What about tee times reserved say earlier in the day for lower handicap golfers.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    What about tee times reserved say earlier in the day for lower handicap golfers.
    I can't really see that happening.....the majority of golfers have higher handicaps and this is a money driven industry

Besides, the point has already been well made that a low handicap doesn't necessarily equate to a fast pace of play

Quote Originally Posted by golfott View Post

rarely do i see a marshall tell a player to pick up their ball. If there is an open group inform of you, you are too slow...
    That's a pretty broad generalization.

Maybe 2 or 3 tee times were open before you started. Or maybe your foursome was behind a 2-some with nobody in front of them. Or maybe your group is walking and the group in front has carts on a course with some long walks between holes. Or maybe the group in front are "speed golfers" who don't putt out, never hit provisionals, play "I'll just drop one" golf for any ball they can't find in 5 seconds and generally race around in their golf carts like madmen trying to beat their previous record for fastest round.

I don't think anyone should be forced to match the pace of the fastest group on the course. I think if you play ready golf, you will not be slow. Its really is that simple.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    LOL I once had a Marshal give us a hard time that there were 3 open holes in front of us. Thing is it was a shotgun, we were the lead group and we were playing in great time.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I said it once and I will say it again, Marshalls (most) lack the proper training and tact. As for playing at pace I always put my cart toward where teh enxt tee box will go, I also do not hold back in telling some one in my group to speed up or to do something to help speed things up (like bag palcement). I ahve often seen players who are just short of the green btring their bag there, chip and then leave the bag without thinking that they will have to go back away from the hole to get their bag. This is only about 20-30 seconds delay but times 18 holes, times # of players doign it, get the picture.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    LOL I once had a Marshal give us a hard time that there were 3 open holes in front of us. Thing is it was a shotgun, we were the lead group and we were playing in great time.
    If its a shotgun, wouldn't you always have a group infront of you... right from the first shot?
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Not if you are the lead group and there are less than 144 players. There will be some empty holes.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    If its a shotgun, wouldn't you always have a group infront of you... right from the first shot?
    Not necessarily. There could have been less than 18 groups.

EDIT: Damn that Kilbank guy is quick. Its like he's always around!

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Not necessarily. There could have been less than 18 groups.

EDIT: Damn that Kilbank guy is quick. Its like he's always around!
    its like he works here or something LOL
    willy

It's a rough job, but someone has to do it.

I'll bet, golf everyday at 8am, come home and make sure the board is working, play with your helicopter and cash the cheques
    willy

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Another one I didn't se in here is if you are carting park between the balls and each one of you get out and go to your balls, whoever is ready first go ahead and hit. No sesnse driving to each ball individually. Then whichever one is done first drive the cart. Also if you are like me and not sure which club you want to use till you get over your balls then take 2 or 3 of the clubs you think you might use. Ready golf is a great way to play!!
    Never dreamt I would ever get so hooked on this game!!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    No offense but you are flogging a dead horse here. Beating your head against a wall

You can speed your game up all you want. However if that foursome two holes ahead is slow then everyone is slow.

Hows this time for 18 holes, 6400 yard course. Threesome tees off at 7:30 AM, walks off 18 at 11:00 AM. That is how you play golf.

I see this all the time, 10 practice swings, then WHIFF. Then go through the whole process again.

1 minute to read the green, after it is your turn to putt, then 3 jack from 15 feet.

Standing in a fairway on a Par 5 with 250 to the green, after spanking your big stick 220 yards. Do ya think you can hit that 3 wood 250 off the deck?

Lack of respect for other golfers is also part of the problem. Some people have the attitude that "I paid for this round and damned if anyone is going to make me rush. I could care less if it takes 4 1/2 hours or longer"

I play with a guy who shoots in the 90's on a Par 70 course and we can get around in 3 hours if no one is ahead of us. So the excuse of being slow due to high scores is BS.

Be ready to play when it is your turn and get on with it. As I said this is like flogging a dead horse when it comes to getting people to play golf quickly.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Sand Wedge karupt411 is on a distinguished road
    my beef is Par 3's. The way I've been shown to let faster players through is for your group to hit your balls on the Par 3 and mark them and move off the green, and waive the faster group behind to hit. The faster group then putts out and says "thanks" and moves on to tee off the next hole. Your group then putts out the hole. The problem is that no one ever marks their ball on a Par 3 and waives people to hit on.

Maybe that will change now.

Thread Information