100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I'm sending this thread to "MythBusters" Those guys are always up for a challenge. Afterall they did prove a golfball with no dimples can only fly about 150 yds
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Slightly off topic, in last week's local newspaper, a former local golf pro noted that one of his teammates in a best ball tournament typically hits 375 yard drives. Not sure what his iron shots are like though.

Dave

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    I can do it...
    No you can't.

You need to bone up on your physics. Golf balls go as far as they do because the backspin creates lift. In other words, a back-spinning ball is like a wing.

If you hit a ball with top spin it would actually dive.

A ball with no-spin would travel on a ballistic trajectory.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    No you can't.

You need to bone up on your physics. Golf balls go as far as they do because the backspin creates lift. In other words, a back-spinning ball is like a wing.

Sure, you *can* hit a ball with topspin; I've done it more than I care to admit to. But in practice, for the exact reasons you mentioned, it doesn't go all that far

I guess that's true.

I should have said a "properly hit" golf ball can't have top spin.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    No you can't.

one world... putter, delofted upward stroke (more than one word)
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Bouche
    so a duck hook has top spin then?

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    Most of the people I have played with have been shorter hitters. LBH is the longest I have played with, I was usually ahead of him (if I didn't slice), but only by 3-4 feet.
    Charles, thanks for the nod here but you were more than 3-4 feet ahead of me on many occasions - on a few holes, you were a good 20-30 yds. I think we exchanged longest drives all round long.

That being said, you must have one of the fastest swings I've ever seen. No wonder you hit the ball so far...

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LBH View Post
    Charles, thanks for the nod here but you were more than 3-4 feet ahead of me on many occasions - on a few holes, you were a good 20-30 yds. I think we exchanged longest drives all round long.

That being said, you must have one of the fastest swings I've ever seen. No wonder you hit the ball so far...
    That is such a nice way of putting it. My usual partners call it "violent".

3-4ft was more on #2 - we both connected - literally a yard different
    Back at it.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    No you can't.

John.. I love it when you talk physics.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

So; what we are saying here is "the faster the ball spins-the farther it goes?" Now I just have to figure out how to make it spin faster without having to hit it harder I love these threads

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    So; what we are saying here is "the faster the ball spins-the farther it goes?" Now I just have to figure out how to make it spin faster without having to hit it harder I love these threads
    Not at all. The physics of ballflight (if you try to kiss me Chris I'll punch you) is very complicated.

For any given launch angle and ballspeed there is an optimal spin that will maximize carry distance. Change any one of the parameters and you get a different answer.

If you can hit the ball 180MPH then you need much less spin than someone who is only hitting it 120 MPH because the speed of the ball will keep it in the air longer.

Too much spin and you will get a ball that "climbs" in the air and then drops. Too little spin and you get one that never really gets into the air.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. Michael View Post
    John.. I love it when you talk physics.
    Better get in line, his future mistress is already lined up and she's got more "Personality" than you.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Not at all. The physics of ballflight (if you try to kiss me Chris I'll punch you) is very complicated.

For any given launch angle and ballspeed there is an optimal spin that will maximize carry distance. Change any one of the parameters and you get a different answer.

If you can hit the ball 180MPH then you need much less spin than someone who is only hitting it 120 MPH because the speed of the ball will keep it in the air longer.

Too much spin and you will get a ball that "climbs" in the air and then drops. Too little spin and you get one that never really gets into the air.

OK---believe it or not I understand. I have had balls go straight out and then "take off" almost like a plane.

Your saying there is too much spin on the ball? So how do you take spin off when your hitting with a 3wd.....I still have the same distance 215-220 as when it does not "take off"

Does it make sense here to compare the flight of a golf ball to a pitcher throwing curves-fastballs-sliders etc by placing his fingers in different positions to make the ball spin differently?

Your saying there is too much spin on the ball? So how do you take spin off when your hitting with a 3wd.....I still have the same distance 215-220 as when it does not "take off"
    How much spin you put on a ball depends on a few things. The biggest contributors are loft, angle of attack, and whether or not there is grass/water between the clubface and ball. I'm assuming the type of ball is the same here since different balls will also spin differently.

Usually if you are hitting down on the ball, i.e. downward angle of attack, you will put more spin on the ball. A flat or upward angle of attach will result in less spin for a club with the same loft.

Does it make sense here to compare the flight of a golf ball to a pitcher throwing curves-fastballs-sliders etc by placing his fingers in different positions to make the ball spin differently?
    Yes, that is a good analogy.

Thread Information