100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar

Iron covers... yay or nay?

Anyone swear by these to protect their precious irons, or are they just more trouble than they are worth on the course? If you use them, which kind did you get? At Golf Town, I've seen neoprene, clear plastic and hard plastic with a little grip thing at the bottom which looks like it would scratch the irons (which would definitely be counter productive). The clear plastic is an interesting idea, especially for different wedges, as what you see is what you get - usually the genero neoprene, have a PW and SW cover, but no GW or LW. But after inspecting the clear plastic ones, they seemed to stick together quite a bit, which might get very annoying trying to get the clubs in and out of the bag.

I am having a hard time deciding whether I want to go this route to safeguard the new Ping G10s. I was using hand-me-downs before, so I didn't really care that they were clattering around in the bag against each other. I'll soon be using an Ogio Edge bag, so there will still be a bit of chatter as the irons bounce around in the little iron slots, but not as much as with my old bag, where I just sort of chucked everything in wherever there was room (usually by the end of the round, 90% of my irons would be in one cavity).

Cheers!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Ping clubs are cast and damn near indestructible. I wouldn't worry about iron covers for your clubs, just clean them after every round.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I think they are a must if you walk. It saves your clubs and gets rid of that awful clanky sound when you walk. Now that I use a 3 wheeler, I find that I probably don't need them any more but I've used them for so long that it's just second nature to pull off the cover, place it in my pocket and then take my shot. I wouldn't bother unless you have forged

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    I think they are a must if you walk. It saves your clubs and gets rid of that awful clanky sound when you walk. Now that I use a 3 wheeler, I find that I probably don't need them any more but I've used them for so long that it's just second nature to pull off the cover, place it in my pocket and then take my shot. I wouldn't bother unless you have forged
    What type did you go for?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I agree with dbleber - They are a must if you have forged irons

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    One negative on iron covers. They can absorb moisture and will eventually cause rust spots to appear on your clubs if you keep them in the iron covers all the time.
    On Pings the iron covers themselves are more likely to be damaged than the irons they are protecting. Rumor has it that the same steel used in Ping irons is what the U.S. Military uses for armour piercing missile shells.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I agree with dbleber - They are a must if you have forged irons
    Thanks for the input...

I just realized there is another thread on the topic in "Other Equipment". It's probably a more appropriate spot for this discussion, let's keep it going there.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width="100%">GolfResource > Equipment > Other Equipment </TD></TR><TR><TD class=navbar style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; PADDING-TOP: 1px" colSpan=3> Do you guys use iron headcovers? Do I need them? </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thread Information