100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

Who would you build your NHL team around???

You can't take crosby and you can't take ovechkin....

If I'm a GM and I'm building a team around a player and building for long term I go with someone young. I might even build around a goalie. I think marc andre fluery is showing signs of being the goalie everyone said he might be. I would love to start with loungo but Fleury is almost 6 years younger and I think he is going to be better than R.L.

I might even want to start with mlakin, but I would give the edge to fleury
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Much better options out there than Fleury, although Malkin wouldn't be a bad choice.

But the list is getting longer each year. For me, I'd like a player that would show leadership on and off the ice:

Mike Richards
    Dion Phaneuf
    Jonathan Toews

Just to name a few. The future of the NHL is looking bright. And with the expected arrival of Stamkos and Tavares in the next couple of years, the young NHL crop will only get deeper and stronger.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Much better options out there than Fleury, although Malkin wouldn't be a bad choice.

But the list is getting longer each year. For me, I'd like a player that would show leadership on and off the ice:

Mike Richards
    Dion Phaneuf
    Jonathan Toews

Just to name a few. The future of the NHL is looking bright. And with the expected arrival of Stamkos and Tavares in the next couple of years, the young NHL crop will only get deeper and stronger.
    Yeah I realize fleury isn't as good as the guys mentioned below but I just have a feeling he is going to be a sick goalie in a few years... probably even the best goalie in the NHL at some point.

Of the people you listed I wouldn't put any of them above malkin although phaneuf would be on my short list
    willy

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    Yeah I realize fleury isn't as good as the guys mentioned below but I just have a feeling he is going to be a sick goalie in a few years... probably even the best goalie in the NHL at some point.

Of the people you listed I wouldn't put any of them above malkin although phaneuf would be on my short list
    You obviously don't think winning the Stanely Cup is important, cuz Malking has completely disappeared in the finals.

lol, one series. Its not a big deal. Its his first cup finals, the guy put the team on his back when corsby was gone. He is big and strong and can fight through the trap, checks.. he will be fine. You realize he, hosa and corsby were pretty much tied in points prior to this series? One bad series and you think he will never play well in the finals again? Look at hosa, sucked for us and is almost leading the payoffs in points
    willy

lol, one series. Its not a big deal. Its his first cup finals, the guy put the team on his back when corsby was gone. He is big and strong and can fight through the trap, checks.. he will be fine. You realize he, hosa and corsby were pretty much tied in points prior to this series? One bad series and you think he will never play well in the finals again? Look at hosa, sucked for us and is almost leading the payoffs in points

But many could say the same about Fleury. One good series does not make him possibly the best goalie in the NHL in a few years. He's been solid during the playoffs, and he's really only looked so good because his defence is soooo bad right now. I have yet to see anything from Fleury that would make me think he'll be one of the best in the NHL. I can see him being a solid a NHL goalie, but I doubt one of the best.

And I wouldn't be so quick to dimiss Richards. He had an ubelievable season for the Flyers, and he's only getting better.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

But many could say the same about Fleury. One good series does not make him possibly the best goalie in the NHL in a few years. He's been solid during the playoffs, and he's really only looked so good because his defence is soooo bad right now. I have yet to see anything from Fleury that would make me think he'll be one of the best in the NHL. I can see him being a solid a NHL goalie, but I doubt one of the best.

And I wouldn't be so quick to dimiss Richards. He had an ubelievable season for the Flyers, and he's only getting better.
    its just a feeling.. which are usually right Fleury will win the vez atleast 3 times before he retires
    willy

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    i have said before that if i had to choose a young player to build a team around it would likely be Phaneuf. The guy is dead solid and will be one of the premier defensemen in the league for many years to come. Not only that but he's on the ice for nearly 30minutes a game.

Baxter
    Davevandyk,

That is a good choice...Young solid D man are hard to get and keep...I would go with a Goalie...Luongo would be my 1st choice....Than a D'man and last a forward...You can get by with a complete team of 2nd and 3rd liners as long as you have the Keeper...

Pitching Wedge warbird is on a distinguished road
    Dion Phaneuf and Luongo, both are very rare!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Zetterberg and Datsyuk

Oh yeah, and Sundin 10 years ago. I would fix what the Leafs screwed up.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Zetterberg and Datsyuk

Oh yeah, and Sundin 10 years ago. I would fix what the Leafs screwed up.

You Leaf fans just can't let things go, can you?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    You Leaf fans just can't let things go, can you?
    Part of being a true fan is taking your team to task when things go bad, not just jumping ship and looking for greener pastures. My ankles are pretty weak, I prefer to stay on the bandwagon.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

I've changed my mind... I would go with Malkin, Fleury, Phaneuf and then longo... in that order.
    willy

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I've changed my mind... I would go with Malkin, Fleury, Phaneuf and then longo... in that order.
    You really are a whacko. One postseason and you're ready to anoint Malkin as the best player in the league? Even though he completely vanished as soon as his team was up against a real opponent?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    You really are a whacko. One postseason and you're ready to anoint Malkin as the best player in the league? Even though he completely vanished as soon as his team was up against a real opponent?
    He did do a disappearing act, but he also set up the winner in triple OT. Malkin is very good, and there's a good chance he'll learn from his mistakes in the post season the same way he turned around his season when Crosby went down.

I'd probably go with Phaneuf, but he's still learning too. He hasn't been worthy of the hype since his rookie year, but you can always excuse a young d-man. It took a while for Pronger to develop too. Richards is a real good player as well.

Thread Information