100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar

How do **you** play this shot?

You're lying on the fairway about 10 yards off the green. Your ball is a couple of feet below the level of the green and there's a ridge / rise just short of the green that's slightly above the level of the green. The pin is cut about 10 feet onto the green. For those of you familiar with Stonebridge, I'm talking about #18 (formerly #9 East... the 'chipping area' area just to the right of the green.

I've been in this position several times and I don't think I've been very successful most of them. I've probably done best when I've taken something like a 9-iron and bumped it into the area just short of the green and hoped it popped up and on somewhere close. What I'd like to be able to do is fly it all the way to the green and have it stop... of course, I'm no Phil Mickelson.

So, how would YOU play the shot? Open up the face on a lob wedge and hit the high flopper? Putter? Bump and run? Back in your stance... up in your stance?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Is it into the grain or down-grain? If it's down-grain I'm going to pitch a 56 or 60 to the top of that rise and let the ball roll down to the hole. If it's into the grain I'll bump a 7 or 8 into the slope and let the grain kill it so it releases slowly over the rise. If it's mid-summer and really dry MAYBE I'll consider putting it, but not likely.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Lob Wedge Shank is on a distinguished road Shank's Avatar
    It's a tough shot no matter what your approach is. I would play it much the same a LobWedge described and hope for the best. Just pick a spot where you want the ball to land and let it roll out from there. The more green you have to work with, then the lower the loft of the club. Certainly there is a degree of luck involved as to how good the result is.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'd bump it into the slope with my 8 iron............they pray

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I'd bump it into the slope with my 8 iron............they pray

Who prays? You have people pray for you on the golf course, wish I could have some pray for me. Or at least exorcise my demons....it would all be good.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I normally play some kind of small pitch shot but don't take any turf with it. I'll address it center of stance with a lob wedge and stay nice and low clubafe open a bit. Take a few practice swings just grazing the turf. What I like to envision is the ball rolling up the clubface giving it loft and alot of spin but still played softly. Works most of the time.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Who prays? You have people pray for you on the golf course, wish I could have some pray for me. Or at least exorcise my demons....it would all be good.
    By "they" I mean any and everyone who is standing around within shank distance.............

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    For me, you have to play the chip/pitch shot to land on or near the crest and let it roll to the green,for me, that is easier than pitching it to the green and hoping that it stops near the pin. It is an easier shot for me to judge where to hit the bump than to lob onto the green but this is a subjective answer.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information