CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Handicaps

Voters
264. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-5 I'm making money playing golf

27 10.23%
  • 6-10 I HAVE broken par

52 19.70%
  • 11-15 Maybe if I spend just a little more?

79 29.92%
  • 16-20 Good enough to like it

43 16.29%
  • 21-27 I can hold my own

45 17.05%
  • 28+ Some day I WILL break 100

18 6.82%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Handicaps

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I just took my five best scores from last year and instead of giving myself a triple bogey on bad holes i gave myself a double bogey. My handicap changed from 20.1 to 16.9

So do I have to change to the new scoring for 10-19 handicappers?
    NO!

Record max tripples until your handicap gets to 18
    THEN make doubles your max.

You have to use ALL your last 20 scores, not just selected ones.

Also it's your course handicap that is used when calculating ESC see Handicap Factor vs Course Handicap
    Last edited by Kilroy; 04-07-2010 at 06:57 AM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Could somone explain in simple terms how I do so and what benefit it provides me and / or my playing partners? And when asked what your handicap is, do you use the figure with or without the ESC, and when (i.e. is one used for tournament and one for common daily use?)
    You only have one valid handicap. It uses ESC or it is incorrect.
    Have a read through this Handicap breakdown?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    NO!

Record max tripples until your handicap gets to 18
    THEN make doubles your max.

You have to use ALL your last 20 scores, not just selected ones.

Also it's your course handicap that is used when calculating ESC see Handicap Factor vs Course Handicap
    hahaha. Okay so I was doing it right the first time.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Pablo, I am very skeptical that you are doing it right, make sure you use the course handicap for each of the differnet courses you played for each of the games you have scorecards for last year, not just the 5 you mentioned. For example Chateau Cartier is a different slope than Vieux Moulins so your HC for that course will be different. I suspect your HC is under 20 for sure, I have seen you play twice and you are not a 20 HC.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I suspect your HC is under 20 for sure, I have seen you play twice and you are not a 20 HC.
    pablo mate,
    are you really a single digit player sandbagging as a 20+ just to win your bet with Dan...uhmmmmm

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Funny, that is exactly what he said to me when I played with him last week, he said yikes, I need to recaculate my HC, he is definitely not an 18+ handicapper, this I can assure you. Methinks Dan may want to review Pablo's socrecards to double check the figures, especially if there is a bet on the line
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

i will cooperate with any audit. my scorecards are available to all who wish to see them.

Golf is a game of honour. Besides, karma would completely destroy him if he fudged on this one.

Kilroy, go for the audit, bring him to his knees!!!
    Lefty Lucas

just for fun i downloaded a handicap software for tracking canadian handicaps, entered all my scores for this year (6 rounds), entered the course info, and my handicap is 19.0 if i shoot an 84 @ Meadows in my next round my handicap drops to 16.9. it's nice to see all that hard work and studying paying off.

17, the only trouble with that is you now only get a double not a triple for ESC.
    Lefty Lucas

So I guess me giving you 8 strokes last year was an abberation beyond belief, thank goodness for that clutch putt on 18!
    Lefty Lucas

17, the only trouble with that is you now only get a double not a triple for ESC.
    so once i cross the 19 handicap zone, do i go back to my scorecards and recalculate those using doubles? or do i just leave those alone and score doubles going forward?

Just going forward.

So I guess me giving you 8 strokes last year was an abberation beyond belief, thank goodness for that clutch putt on 18!
    i dont know why you think i'm a good golfer Luc, every time i play you i shoot 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Just going forward.
    thanks! sorry for all the questions, i just want to get it right.

Well lets see, you were even with me at Les Vieux pretty well and you did have some bad holes at CC but overall I said you were a 16 hc and you just showed that if the recent scores were used you would be a 17 so there you go.
    Lefty Lucas

Originally Posted by leftylucas

So in fact 3 fewer strokes at CC would have meant a sound thumping as you would not have had any strokes after #12!!
    Lefty Lucas

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Realistically, the lower cap player will almost always be at a disadvantage. The higher your cap, the easier it is to get better, and the more likely it is that your cap hasn't quite caught up with your playing potential. However, as your cap gets lower, improvement starts to slow down, and the cap becomes a better reflection of your true ability. The system isn't perfect, but its the best we have.

I'm in a similar situation to nokids. I'm a 16.9 now (was closer to 20 at the beginning of last year), but on a good day I can shoot low 80s. I just have yet to play enough and find the consistency that that potential is reflected in my cap. So, when I play a good round in matchplay, it does look a bit suspicious. However, when I play a horrible round in matchplay, I don't hear anything from my opponent about how my cap should be higher. Funny how that works

Hi Jon, yes I have seen your good and bad days, its true. In my case with nokids he played inconsistently but was crushing the ball off the tee and his long irons were great so I had the eyebrow raised a few times to say the least. Especially since I obviously gave him a 3-4 strokes cushion, all good.
    Lefty Lucas

true jon, true.

Well lets see, you were even with me at Les Vieux pretty well and you did have some bad holes at CC but overall I said you were a 16 hc and you just showed that if the recent scores were used you would be a 17 so there you go.
    ottawagolf matchplay starts may 1st, i'll be sure to get in at least 5 rounds btwn 4/15 and 5/1 so my most recent handicap is reflected. then i dont want to hear any more talk about hc!

Audit, audit, audit!!!!
    Lefty Lucas

One more day for the free lunch!

As of Thursday (April 15th) start putting those scores in!

Before April 15 I 'tolerate' people whacking my ball back to me on the putting green when it's in close range. But as of Thursday, don't touch my balls! I'm living by Dan's signature. Don't gimme anything cuz I won't give you anything.

4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road
    Hmmmm, I'm in the exclusive "28+" club!!!!!!! I should get a key chain or something. I started using the HC tool on here last year or so, and thanks to a horrible summer last season, my handicap is currently a 31.

However, this summer something has just "clicked", and my 3rd round in i've already beat my best score last year by about 10 strokes..... (shot a 102 at Glen Mar on Monday). I also feel real confident that I can get to the point where I break 100 once in awhile...... that's my goal this summer, as I've yet to break 100!

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    It will come quick and pass like it was nothing. I remember breaking 100 last year for the first time, I was excited for about 15 minutes and then had my mind set on lower scores. Keep up the good work, and practice practice practice

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post
    Hmmmm, I'm in the exclusive "28+" club!!!!!!! I should get a key chain or something. I started using the HC tool on here last year or so, and thanks to a horrible summer last season, my handicap is currently a 31.

However, this summer something has just "clicked", and my 3rd round in i've already beat my best score last year by about 10 strokes..... (shot a 102 at Glen Mar on Monday). I also feel real confident that I can get to the point where I break 100 once in awhile...... that's my goal this summer, as I've yet to break 100!

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Getting to 100 was a memorable experience. I first broke 100 at Loch March (98) in an early morning round that took +/-3 hours. Last fall I broke 90 for the first time (5 years later) at Greensmere

I was shooting in the low 90's high 80's (9 hole rounds in the low fortiesX3) earlier this spring but have pulled something between my neck and shoulder and haven't been able to swing through for a while. Luckily business travel will keep me from making it worse by keeping me from playing for a week.

My handicap card:

I just went into my handicap card on Ottawa Golf, and instead of using 10 best scores it is now only using the 5 best scores. Also, all my rounds that I've played at the Meadows have been deleted. Did the Meadows not pay RCGA fees or something?

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Yea, what's going on? I'm not sure which round got removed but a good one did, and my handicap is up by almost 1 point now. Kind of silly if you ask me. Would be nice if they would give some warning before just removing someones scores, at least if they're keep an unofficial handicap then they could still record it and put in a manual one afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    My handicap card:

I just went into my handicap card on Ottawa Golf, and instead of using 10 best scores it is now only using the 5 best scores. Also, all my rounds that I've played at the Meadows have been deleted. Did the Meadows not pay RCGA fees or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Yea, what's going on? I'm not sure which round got removed but a good one did, and my handicap is up by almost 1 point now. Kind of silly if you ask me. Would be nice if they would give some warning before just removing someones scores, at least if they're keep an unofficial handicap then they could still record it and put in a manual one afterwards.

my h.c. went from 12.9 to 10.7

should i have just shut up and said nothing?

Thread Information