CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Handicaps

Voters
264. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-5 I'm making money playing golf

27 10.23%
  • 6-10 I HAVE broken par

52 19.70%
  • 11-15 Maybe if I spend just a little more?

79 29.92%
  • 16-20 Good enough to like it

43 16.29%
  • 21-27 I can hold my own

45 17.05%
  • 28+ Some day I WILL break 100

18 6.82%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Handicaps

2 Iron JimmyW is on a distinguished road JimmyW's Avatar

Handicaps

By the sound of it here (and on the course) everyone seems to be a 10 handicap or better, except that they seem to be having a bad day when you're paired up with them. As Spidey (I think) alluded to one time, everybody seems to hit it "250 all the time" and they must have just moved the 150 peg closer to the hole after they cut the fairway last time.

Just wondering, what IS the hdcp of the people who are good enough to stop in for awhile and post their thoughts on the board. I for one am a 21 over (93 give or take) which means that it takes me just one more stroke per hole than the best guys out there-with a couple of bad holes thrown in (and the odd par here and there).

JW

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

handicaps

well i can not say "I HAVE BOKEN PAR" but my handicap is a 10 and have broken 80 about 16 times this year and usually shoot between 75-82. This is a ten!! You dont have that category.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

index

My current index is 10.1. I was as low as 8.8 earlier in the summer. Broken 80 3 times this year (all at Cloverdale from the blues). Usually post a mid 80's score from the tips of the courses I play. I can count on my adjusted gross score (nothing more then a double) lowering my score by a few strokes for the purposes of calculating my index.

Word to JimmyW, shooting a 93 on a par 72 doesn't make you a 21 handicap.

I use www.statmasters.com to calculate mine.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

lol... everybody's a 10?

hmmmmmm...

Well... I've had a good year. I've gotten it down to about a 9. I play a lot of rounds on an unrated course, so I could be anywhere from a 7 to a 10. I've never been under 11 before, but this year with new sticks and playing in a Thursday league, plus a few extra rounds per month, I've managed to improve my fairway% and my greens%, and drop my handicap. I've more than doubled my best year for birdies this year, and I've been under 80 more than 20 times.

In the league, my average is 3-over for 9 holes, but it's not really a handicapping system.

spidey

If that's the case I'm a ten twice!

4jag:

Sumbitz! I checked out Statmasters, and it looks like I'll have to be sick some rainy Thursday afternoon w/ just me and my last 20 scorecards.

Yes I know 93-72 does not = 21 (and this is for RulesNut too, I read the handicap info that Gary posted approx a month ago), but I'm just an avid golfer who last year yippeed when I broke 100 and has now pegged as low as 87. Every year I hope to lose 5-7 strokes and I'll be happy.

I'm just making a point that you don't have to have the far-away 300yd stare of a scratch golfer to take it seriously -I know some players (and OGC members) who golf just as avidly, if not as well as the best out there.

I also thought I'd post a poll to see what the mean, mode and median average was of the people who read here-if not who post. I know of some not-so-good (in their mind) golfers who don't say anything or ask what they might consider stupid or inane questions because they think they might get flamed. But if they look and they notice that the board looks about even they might open up a little more. I know of a number of people who peek in regularly, but never post.(Hey, this from a guy who asked if it was legal to bend a putter shaft-and found out later that USGA had looked at it)

Okay I'm getting off my soapbox now.

JW

stupid questions.........

I hope to see more people comming in and posting rather than just viewing. I think this is what Dan would like to see happen, especially when golf season is two months form being done. I hope we can get more people involved in the forum and keep it up throughout the winter months as well.
    As far as handicaps.... I play every orund with guys that range from 1 to 30 handicaps and all our rounds are a blast. As long as you enjoy the game and dont take 6 hours a rounds, the more the better!!!!

Personally, I don't think there are any stupid questions. As long as you ask a question that doesn't defy logic or common sense, then there isn't anybody here who has a right to challenge your eagerness to learn!

I encourage anybody who has any kind of question or comment. Normally, I'm a pretty quiet guy (yeah, I know it doesn't show here). If you play with me, you'll find out... I say "Hi", I ask if you play much, if you're from town, and perhaps comment on the weather or the conditions, but then, I kinda settle into my game, and my thoughts. I'll talk, but I'm not much of a talker. - a typer is a different story....

Besides... everybody has a great story from a round they've played. Even the newbies can tell us about great blunders from supposedly good golfers that caused red faces.

spidey

Dutchie
    Well, I just voted and found out I am the first to post a +28 handicap (+31 to be accurate). I've beaten 100 twice this year, once at Gatineau (96!) and once at Cloverdale (last weekend!).

The first time I ever picked up a golf club was August last year, after I had immigrated from the Netherlands where golf is not a big sport, to say the least. All my friends back there laugh when I tell them I've picked up golf!

I aim for a 24 handicap next year so I can play when I visit my family in Holland. Otherwise I need a 'golf license' which only comes after paying a lots of $$$.

Dutchie

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Ah, Dutchie, welcome to the dark side

Don't put too much preassure on yourself to knock it down too quickly, it does not always happen that way. Setting goals is very good, but self imposed preassure to improve is the cause of a lot of aggrivation. Let that start and it is never good enough, no matter how good you get. (ask Tiger about this)

I myself have played for 9 years and have seen it go down slowly and steadily for a long time. Then over the last two years it has jumped back up. My current goal is to get back to where I know it can be :

The guys on the golf channel refer to "20 handicappers" as a class that needs soooo much help, when in truth the majority of golfers (including occasional players) cannot break 100.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

Welcome to Canada & golf

Dutchie,

I've heard of the 'golf license' idea in some European countries. I believe you have to take a course and pass a playing ability test before you can golf on regulation courses? Is this true, can you expand?

thanks,

4jag

Dutchie

Cool golf licenses

To be able to play at any course in the Netherlands, you need a golfing license. Obtaining this certificate can be quite a lenghty process, as it consists of three parts.

First, you have to show your local golf pro that you can hit the basic shots. This means to hit 5 drives, 5 chips, 5 bunkers of which 4 shots have to be reasonably succesful, and 5 puts from about 25 feet to be holed in 15 shots in total. The pro will than sign you up for the theoretical part of the exam.
    The theory part consists of 20 multiple-choice questions about golf rules and etiquette, of which you have to answer 15 questions correctly. If you pass this you can do the final test: the (in)famous on-the-course test. Here you play four par-fours, and you have to shoot at maximum 10 over over your best three holes.

Because there are waiting lists for every step, the whole process takes easily six months. This is, of course, if you can play to begin with. If you are just starting out, you'll have to take a bunch of lessons, because you can't just go out and play (because you don't have your license yet!). After a while the pro may decide you're good enough to play on your own on your home course, in preparation for the tests. It is easier to get your driving license!

Although this is the Dutch case, I think nowadays most European countries have a similar system.

Of course tourists never have a license. You can play most courses if you have an official handicap of 24 or less. Some courses are open to everyone, but beware! I played one and it didn't have greens or bunkers, they just mowed the grass in a farmers field and dug a few holes.

Obviously, there are questions if this makes the sport too elite (which it still very much is in the Netherlands). The Dutch Golf Federation argues that it is needed to control the high number of people that want to play, and golf courses . Maybe it would prevent this beer-guzzling foursome playing off the blue tees while they hardly hit it passed the reds I came accross not too long ago from playing. Or this guy that came in my fairway, didn't wait and #*@#!! :mad shanked his shot on my calf. But good marshalls can help a lot in this matter, and a license doesn't mean you behave well (as we can see on the streets everyday). Most people pay up to 1000s of dollars to pay for lessons and membershpis to get their license, and I think that one reason why the license program is gonna stay.

Dutchie

The price of golf makes it elitist already. Tennis is the same. You can't play tennis unless you go to a club and they're not cheap. OTOH, you usually can't piss off dozens of people on a tennis court.. there are only 3 others to begin with, and usually you have to know them to get into their group.

I think golf should be open to everybody to attempt to get in, but at the same time, I'd like to know that all these boors on the golf course at least had to READ the etiquette before they come.

I played with a friend of mine the other day. He's been preparing to play with me for years. He still didn't know to stay off the line of other players... or his own line either for that matter. Didn't know the rules for lost ball OB, and thought that a mulligan was an official rule if it's agreed by all players in the group.

spidey

5 Iron Dustin is on a distinguished road

!

Well i voted "+28".
    This is my first year golfing and i have gone from shooting 140 to shooting 105-110.

I have never calcualted my handicapp but i do know it must be high, shooting 105-110 and hey a few bad rounds i can still get to 115-120.

I do play fast for score, i have never slowed anyone down since most of my shots are from close and putting.

Mabye i also shoot so high because i love playing at the hard courses like diablo and Maitre lol.

Well what can i expect for my first year!!! I love this game.

Just my 2 cents.

Dustin

This is VERY rough, but I was fiddling around with my handicapping software to see what handicap factors would be for someone who only knew thier average score, and a score they would be happy with. Since handicap factors are calculated from your best 10 of your last 20 games, the "Good round" score is really the one that counts. That should not be your best ever round, just scores you are pleased with (below average).

This in no way is a substitute for tracking your handicap properly, but for those who have never done so, it might give you a general idea where you stand.

Since we are estimating handicap factors here, we must remember that a course with a higher slope than 113 will result in a slightly higher handicap for that course. (a 119 slope would result in 1 more point added to the handicap)

Looking at the chart, we see that if a player's average score is 90, and on a good day he will shoot 86, he would come out to about a 17 handicap factor.

Sc Good Avg
    99 | 30 | 26
    98 | 29 | 25
    97 | 28 | 24
    96 | 27 | 23
    95 | 26 | 22
    94 | 25 | 21
    93 | 24 | 20
    92 | 23 | 19
    91 | 22 | 18
    90 | 21 | 17
    89 | 20 | 16
    88 | 19 | 15
    87 | 18 | 14
    86 | 17 | 13
    85 | 16 | 12
    84 | 15 | 11
    83 | 14 | 10
    82 | 13 | 9
    81 | 12 | 8
    80 | 11 | 7
    79 | 10 | 6
    78 | 9 | 5
    77 | 8 | 4
    76 | 7 | 3
    75 | 6 | 2
    74 | 5 | 1
    73 | 4 | 0
    72 | 3

SpartaFan

Unhappy

I am the third 28+ handicap, I hope this won't be embarassing at the 2001 Open on Sunday. I have not had my handicap calculated but normally shoot 101-105 and have broken 100 twice this year.

It is good to see how other golfers are doing but at the same time the entire golf scoring system requires honesty, to get an honest score you have to play your ball from in that divot or under it as the case may be. I am not a member and play various courses with my wife and usually get paired up. Often I will notice the other golfers moving the ball on the fairway to get the best lie. This may be their way but I have always believed you play it as it lies.

Someday I expect to be shooting in the low 90s and may get to the 80s but today I still enjoy the walk.

SpartaFan

Pitching Wedge jeff026 is on a distinguished road

Red face All this talk about hadicaps !!!

What about you (the individual) and the game of Golf itself? To me, golf is the most relaxing sport i've ever played.
    However, I can understand how it can become very frustrating in a hurry... Why? because we're all worried about our HANDICAPS...
    If you want to lower your HANDICAP just work on the simple things. For example:
    1- Relax out there and enjoy the company of your friends.
    2- Practice your putting and chipping every time you have a chance
    3- Go to the driving range through out the whole season (not just in the spring)
    4- And most importantly: Never forget that : GOLF IN NOT A GAME OF PERFECT... and even if you can't "keep it in the short grass" its ok. You'll always go back again and again... anyway ...

Looking forward to see you HIGH and LOW Handicapers next Sunday
    Jeff026

To Sparta Fan:

If I play the way on Sunday the same as I played last Sunday @ Cloverdale, I won't be hard to miss- I'll be the one with the floaties, flippers and snorkel warming up on the 1st tee.

Ever have one of those days where you wondered why you got up @ 5:00am that morning, apparently just for the express purpose of losing a minimum of three balls - while explaining to the two people that you're golfing with that this is NOT the way that you normally play golf.

I'll agree with Jeff on this one. If you relax and play the way that you know you can play it can be -and should be- a very relaxing endeavour. However Jeff, unless I'm sadly mistaken, playing w/o keeping score is kind of like going on vacation w/o using a map. It's not mandatory but it is a very useful benchmark to find out where you are (and where you started from).

JW

Obviously Jimmy, everybody as a Handicap, however

I agree that you need to know where your game is at. If you keep score, you want to improve. But, there are some days you won't have your game the way you had hope. That's when you got to let it go and forget about your Handicap ... Don't get me wrong, I care about my Handicap too.
    Cio
    Jeff026

If you are tracking your handicap, you need to include your off days as well.

Lets just say you don't post rounds over 100, and normally shoot in the mid 90's. If you have a few rounds out of 20 in the 102 range and do not post them, your handicap is artifficially low. That is what I call a bragging handicap, which hurts you in a handicaped competition, by not giving you your full entitlement of strokes. This is the opposite of sandbagging, or claiming a higher than deserved handicap in order to win by taking strokes you have no right to.

Either way, the purpose of tracking it is to monitor your progress, and you cannot do that selectively. May as well not bother.
    :freak5

Handicaps

I don't know if you were referring to me Dan, but I do count all my scores. Other wise my handicap would be all wrong.
    When I said to let it go, I meant mentally, you can't get down on yourself ... when your having a bad day on the links. :o
    Jeff026

i agree

You are right on the money jeff026!

I too have had bad rounds but have to forget them so I can play better the next time out. What I find interesting, is that most of us who play, always forget that advice. I play with lots of guys who have a bad HOLE and let it take their game right off the charts. If they have a triple bogey on the first hole they figure their round is done, and then it really is cause they start worrying about their score. Although a triple bogey on the 8th hole is acceptable????

The reason they play bad after a bad hole is that they try and make up the difference right away. I have been there, done that and learned from it. NOW whenever I have a bad shot or bad hole, I try and forget it and focus on the next shot or hole. When I do this, everything usually falls into place and I can still play my game. Remember we cannot all go out there and par every hole alothough we know we can make a par on each of those at one time or another. MENTAL game IS a HUGE factor in this sport. If only we could do as we think!!

Greg Norman was onced asked by an announcer as he walked up the fairway, on a very off day. I believe he had thrown a decent lead out the window...
    "Gee Greg how are you feeling right now?"
    Greg responded... "It's a nice sunny day." and smiled.

Man, what I would give to have that level of composure on the course.

Attitude is the key but let's not forget

Courtesy ... as much as I play, I often hook up as a single with unkown golfers. If there one thing I appreciate in my playing partners is COURTESY... But some times I witness the opposite ...
    A negative attitude not only spoils your own round but your playing partners' rounds as well ...

: Something to think about
    Jeff026

Lightbulb

This weekend's handicap won't be courtesy or attitude...

It's definitely going to be ice crystals in the joints....

spidey

Thumbs up The weather will be fine ...

Hey Spidey, just pretend you will be playing golf in the Highlands of Scotland.

And I'm sure you'll come up with something to keep warm...

See you all (golf-nuts) on Sunday ... RAIN OR SHINE
    Jeff026

rain or shine

it will be a great day tomorow rain or shine
    although the latter is better
    just bring your woolies
    LOL

wineskins anyone???

APG
    Hi all,

I'm new to the game, this has been my first full season (60+ rounds) and I enjoyed every single one (almost).
    I saw my handicap go down from 45 in May to 26 in November and that can only mean more golf (or at least as much) next season.
    A question: do golfers commonly use RCGA's Equitable Stroke Control to calculate handicap ?

Hi APG, and welcome to OttawaGolf.

A question: do golfers commonly use RCGA's Equitable Stroke Control to calculate handicap ?
    Absolutely.
    During your round, you should markyour whole score, but apply ESC to holes that are over your "max" when computing your handicap.
    Have a look at www.gstatpro.com it does it all for you.

Talking wow

APG.............60+ rounds in your first "full" season???

Just imagine what the next few seasons will bring if you like this game???

You should also look at "OttawaGolf Tour" for some interesting rounds with fellow golfers with a bit of the competative insitinct about them. There will be 12+ handicapped events for all to join in 2003.
    Last edited by NoBack; 11-19-2002 at 07:19 AM.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Sand Wedge Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Jimmy' Version !

I have been playing golf for 30 years, my lowest handicap achieved was a 2, and I managed to do it on several occassions.

What constitutes an " Honest " handicap ? My opinion which is backed up by hundreds of " A " class golfers !

1.) Play by the rules !
    2.) Never assume a ruling, just like in life when you perceive things it is not always reality
    3.) Every player should have the rule book in their bags, and another in their bathroom, so when they are taking a dump they can inhale something other than the smell
    4.) If you are unsure of what the ruling should be, play another ball and when you get back to the clubhouse ask the Pro in other words play both balls to completion of the hole !!!!!
    5.) I like how many golfers assume what preferred lies means: It is not moving the ball from under a bush, or another example might be if there is a tree in front of you, it does not mean your preferred lie is to take relief:shakehead
    6.) In the middle of summer there is no such thing as preferred lies, unless it is obvious "GUR" ground under repair:undecided
    and if you are not sure of what decision to make ask the most knowledgeable playing partner
    7.) Do you know how to properly mark a ball on a green, everyone should learn this from day 1
    8.) Putt everything out, which means till the ball drops into the HOLE !!
    9.) If you accomplish all of the above for 18 holes, then and only then can you enter your score as " True " :SmileT-sh and you get this tee shirt, because you should be happy that you were honest for the first time in your life

If you want to strive to become the best golfer you can be than you " MUST " follow --8, if you don't want to become your very best carry on with what you are doing, but really how far does "BS" go nowadays. And if BS makes you feel good I feel sorry for your wife/girlfriend

Until the next time - Jimmy Ross

Thread Information