CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lob Wedge Daniel is on a distinguished road

Do you guys use iron headcovers? Do I need them?

Hey guys,
    I am a beginner and trying to buy things that I need for golf.
    I have recently bought a carry back with 14 dividers, so they might not be needed.
    But, I am still wondering if they are useful.
    Thanks in advance.
    Daniel

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    They are definitely not "required" since all they do is prevent dings on the irons. This is usually only a problem for forged clubs.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    They also prevent bag chatter when walking with your bag over your shoulders !!! The main reason why i'm looking into them.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    they also slow down the pace of play and annoy everyone in your 4some (in my experience.. I had them )
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    How long can it possibly take to put a cover on, or take it off.... If that slows the pace of play, there's some problems. You can even put it on as your walking....

Bouche
    lmao silly....maybe the guys you play with but ya if you are a golf hoe....you will likely want them LOL

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    most of my friends are anal though. They can't wait 2 seconds for anything. Its all about finishing in 3 hours LOL. I pretty much do whatever i want, play however i want and to hell with what they think. They have a problem with me playing two balls.. find another FC or pay for my rounds so you can tell me what to do and what not to do but if I'm paying.. I'm playing (how ever i want)
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Hmmm.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Hey guys,
    I am a beginner and trying to buy things that I need for golf.
    I have recently bought a carry back with 14 dividers, so they might not be needed.
    But, I am still wondering if they are useful.
    Thanks in advance.
    Daniel
    Oops, guess I should have checked this group before posting almost the exact same question in General. I'll direct traffic this way.

My situation: Ping G10s, soon to be Ogio Edge Carry Bag. I typically use a pull cart, but for par 3s, or 9 holes I might sling 'em. I am on the fence whether to bother with the iron headcovers.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The G10s are not forged so there is no need for iron headcovers.

Even if they were forged I would say don't bother.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Just something else to take off and forget somewhere, then have to go looking for!! Might be a good idea when they are rattling around in the trunk of your car, but on the course I take all my head covers off and put them inside my bag till the game is over!!
    Never dreamt I would ever get so hooked on this game!!

Quote Originally Posted by kerisb View Post
    Just something else to take off and forget somewhere, then have to go looking for!! Might be a good idea when they are rattling around in the trunk of your car, but on the course I take all my head covers off and put them inside my bag till the game is over!!
    I like this idea.

Anyone have a set of headcovers they aren't using, or perhaps a partial set? I actually found a few covers in my basement... black neoprene, missing 4, 7, and something for my loft wedge (I don't think any of the sets include three wedge covers... just P and S).

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kerisb View Post

By doing that with all your clubs Kerry--don't you get "ring around the collar" That's what I call it on Dianes clubs. A nice set of Wilson's Graphite with the shafts all scratched and nicked where her irons knock against them in the bag. Driver/3 and 5 wood. I keep telling her but........
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Putter Golfnutz is on a distinguished road
    You've just spent hundreds of dollars on new clubs and you are asking if you should be protecting them? The answer of course is YES. If it pisses of someone in your group then keep doing it and it may affect there game. They are your clubs, protect them.

3 Wood Skiddlydidly is on a distinguished road Skiddlydidly's Avatar
    If I had expensive forged clubs I wouldn't hesitate to use them.
    Sucking at golf is it's own reward.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I did not for the first few years then a buddy said I should. No special irons but metal on metal still wears and the noise is a pain in the a***. I have the dividers too and with the push cart there is not too much clickity clack but if I was carrying then they would be banging all the time. I try to wash my clubs ever round or two depending on the dirt I dig up and if it was particularly messy I will rinse out my covers as well. Sell them real cheap at GT and I am sure at NB's too. Biggest point to remember is not to store clubs with them on unless both are completely dry. If not then go to the "how do I remove the rust" thread....I just put the covers on a boot drying rack and over a vent... in 20 min they are dry. May be too labour intensive for some, but why not protect your toys?

Putter young_modern is on a distinguished road
    I don't know anyone who uses them. I wouldn't bother if I were you.

7 Wood macspesh is on a distinguished road
    They look pretty cool, but it's just another widget to loose imho.
    When I'm focused on my upcoming shot, it breaks my rythm to stop, pull off the head cover...oops, just fell off my bag, have to walk back ten paces to pick it up etc.
    After I forgot my putter cover on the green for a 4th time (just had to run back a few yds to get it) I had enough and tossed it in the trash...very tedious. The 3-putts may have had something to do with the frustration too.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I don't use them.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Bet if you took a poll you'd find the above answers split along "age" lines. Those of us who are not planning to keep the clubs for very long would go for a "NO" where as those of us who may be happy with our clubs and hope to hang onto them for a while would be in the "YES" camp. I'm in the latter group as I bought my clubs as my retirement gift. Did not expect to play as much as I do but I still hope to hang onto these clubs for a long time and will protect them however I can.

Quote Originally Posted by macspesh View Post
    When I'm focused on my upcoming shot, it breaks my rythm to stop, pull off the head cover...oops, just fell off my bag, have to walk back ten paces to pick it up etc.
    After I forgot my putter cover on the green for a 4th time (just had to run back a few yds to get it) I had enough and tossed it in the trash...very tedious. The 3-putts may have had something to do with the frustration too.
    In the trash? Geeze, too bad, I'm looking for a putter cover .

The cover was ugly anyways, guaranteed you wouldn't have liked it. That's how I rationalized it

Hybrid Coreythebody is on a distinguished road Coreythebody's Avatar
    I have a set that i put on when they are travelling, once on the course, i have them on the irons i don't regularly use to help reduce the noise of them rattlin' against each other but take them off my "high-use" irons and wedges...
    5 Time OG Team member for Ryder Cup

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Iron covers. Worst product made in the golf industry. I have my own reasons for hating them.

I had forged irons and did not use them. I carried my clubs all the time and bag chatter was not a big issue. Plus I actually love the sound of my irons touching each other while I walk. To me that is one of the sounds of the game of golf. Clink Clink Clink as you walk the fairways.

Think about this, you are swinging an iron at 85 MPH or there abouts, slamming a ball with the face, the sole is slamming into the turf. Are you worried about damaging your irons when hitting a shot? If not why worry about damaging them while walking?

They also hold moisture inside.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by macspesh View Post
    Why not leave your putter cover on top of your bag or driver when you are on the green?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I've been playing for more than 45 years with forged clubs. The irons will survive without protective covers. There is another thing you should know. The iron covers will quickly identify you, rightly or wrongly, as a newbie to the game.

Welcome to the game, by the way, and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Why not leave your putter cover on top of your bag or driver when you are on the green?
    I did leave it on the bag but the wind must've knocked it off. I just found it to be a distraction when I just wanted to get off the green. Patience is a vitue and I can't say I'm a very virtuous guy.

Hybrid Coreythebody is on a distinguished road Coreythebody's Avatar
    Saying that having iron covers makes you look like a newbie is IMO ridonculous!

Do you have a cover on your Putter? how 'bout on your driver/fairway woods? Same darn thing...

All it really does say is that you care about the condition of your clubs..all of them.
    5 Time OG Team member for Ryder Cup

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreythebody View Post

Do you have a cover on your Putter? how 'bout on your driver/fairway woods? Same darn thing...

All it really does say is that you care about the condition of your clubs..all of them.
    Nobody should ever have iron covers. Ever.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Whether the protect-your-irons-at-all-cost-golfers should be regarded as newbies may well be unreasonable, even ridiculous. But rest assured, that they will be so regarded. Whether you believe such a reaction is ridiculous will not change this fact in any way. Personally, I couldn't care less what people put on their clubs. It's their business. So long as they play along at a reasonable pace, replace their divots, fix their ball marks, don't walk on anyone's putting line, and otherwise observe the etiquette of golf, then they will be open with welcome arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreythebody View Post

Thread Information