CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Relief from embedded ball

In taking relief from an embedded ball Bob measures and marks one clublength from the pitch mark no closer to the hole and then drops the ball. The ball strikes the ground 4-5 inches from the pitch mark and comes to rest within an inch or so of where it first struck the ground.

The rule says you must drop as near as possible to the pitch mark but nothing about what that constitutes. Has Bob made an incorrect drop and is now playing from a wrong place? Is the fact that he marked one clublength a violation of some sort?

Curious.

1dash1
    GarthM:

There is no requirement under the rules to go through an actual measurement. The rules merely require that the drop conform.

No different than your equipment. You're not required to measure the spacing between grooves, nor the angle of loft on your putter. Your clubs merely need to conform with the spacing and angle specified by the rules.

What the procedure for dropping does for you is give you some assurance of getting it done right, just as buying equipment from reputable manufacturers give you some assurance that it conforms with the standards. It is also a demonstrative way of informing the other players as to what you're doing. (If I see you measuring two clublengths from the rough, I'll guess that you're taking an unplayable. If I see you measuring one clublength from the rough, I'll guess that you're taking some sort of free relief.)

I've been instructed that the "rule of thumb" is approximately six inches EXCEPT when players are deliberately trying to extract an advantage by dropping it somewhere other than "as near as possible" to the original location.

However, I don't recall ever having to enforce the exception. The more prevalent problem is getting players to drop from shoulder height. I haven't kept any stats, but I'd guess that 10% drop too high, 10% drop too low, 50% get it right, and the rest are bordeline okay (could be improved).

So, the answers to your questions are:
    - The player's procedure is screwy, but no penalty for odd behavior.
    - The player's drop probably conforms with the rules. (Assuming that it wasn't intentionally elsewhere, that he was entitled to relief, that he dropped it no closer to the hole, etc., etc., etc., in conformance with Rule 25-2 and Rule 20-2.)

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1dash1 View Post
    So, the answers to your questions are:
    - The player's procedure is screwy, but no penalty for odd behavior.
    - The player's drop probably conforms with the rules. (Assuming that it wasn't intentionally elsewhere, that he was entitled to relief, that he dropped it no closer to the hole, etc., etc., etc., in conformance with Rule 25-2 and Rule 20-2.)
    But, had the player dropped the ball very close to the "nearest point of relief" (his incorrectly thinking he had to do this) I would have him re-dropping for sure.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    But, had the player dropped the ball very close to the "nearest point of relief" (his incorrectly thinking he had to do this) I would have him re-dropping for sure.
    Not sure I understand what you mean. According to the rule there is no "nearest point of relief" for the embedded ball other than "as near as is possible". Do you mean if he dropped at the outside of the measured club length? Personally I cannot see the problem assuming that the ball was dropped "as near as is possible".

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    Not sure I understand what you mean. According to the rule there is no "nearest point of relief" for the embedded ball other than "as near as is possible". Do you mean if he dropped at the outside of the measured club length? Personally I cannot see the problem assuming that the ball was dropped "as near as is possible".
    True, there is no NPR and the rule does say "as near as possible." From 1dash1's post above, RO's rule of thumb is 6" and that's reasonable. A club length could be 48" and could take the golfer from a side hill lie to one that is flat. The whole idea of the rule is to preserve the original lie and moving it up to 4' fails to do this.

But what do we do if the ball is dropped 1" from the original spot and rolls 4'?

I've been instructed that the "rule of thumb" is approximately six inches EXCEPT when players are deliberately trying to extract an advantage by dropping it somewhere other than "as near as possible" to the original location.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    True, there is no NPR and the rule does say "as near as possible." From 1dash1's post above, RO's rule of thumb is 6" and that's reasonable. A club length could be 48" and could take the golfer from a side hill lie to one that is flat. The whole idea of the rule is to preserve the original lie and moving it up to 4' fails to do this.
    Strictly speaking, the original lie of the ball was "embedded in its own pitch mark", so I don't see how you can say the whole idea of the rule was to preserve it. The rule will obviously improve your lie - your question seems to be how much improvement is considered "fair". Do you really want players to go there?

Thread Information