+ Reply to Thread
    Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar

Anyone played Le Geant this year?

I played Le Geant yesterday for the first time and I was impressed with the layout, scenery, and amazing elevation changes. However, I was not impressed of the service and conditions of the course. It is supposed to be a premium course (ranked 34th in Canada's Best courses-Scoregolf).
    First of all when were checking in we noticed the carts did not have GPS, as it stated in the website. Therefore we asked for a yardage book and they said they did not have one?!? As we played the round it was hard to find sprinker heads with yardages.
    Second of all the first 2 holes are quite straight forward and the first thing I noticed was the greens were very shaggy. Also the fairways were quite shaggy and very soft and wet....(like early spring conditions) I couldn't believe this.
    I was so excited to play the 34th ranked course and Canada and was not dissapointed.
    Anyone else experience this?
    Bite, Bite!

3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar
    They didn't have GPS at all? That's weird, I've played there several times and they have always provided the handheld unit when you get your cart. It's not as nice as the GPS that Le Diable has but it does it's job.

As for conditions, it's still early in the season for them (Geant only opened on the 16th of May). You have to remember that this is a northern mountain course. With the amount of snow we had this year there is going to be a lot of water running down the mountains even now which will keep the course wet for a while.

Putter makeitrain is on a distinguished road
    I played both Diable and Geant a few weeks ago.

Diable was the nicer course in every aspect.

The range at Geant was the biggest joke I've ever seen for a so called top 100 course in the country??? and like previous posts...GPS was not available...unlike Diable - GPS was really nice there, a big screen mounted on the cart.

I also prefered the layout of Diable, I'm not a big fan of hitting a drive down the middle and then having to play a shot with the ball 2 feet above/below your feet like at Geant.

3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar
    I'm surprised that Geant didn't have GPS. When I last played there last fall they said that they would be upgrading to the better GPS like Diable has, but you would think that they would keep the old ones until they do.

7 Iron golfchick07 is on a distinguished road
    Maybe it is something about the amount of snow ect. up there because I played Le Maitre for the long weekend and they lost most of the greens and had 2 temps. The temps were water logged, the cup was full of water and the existing greens were like putting in a bunker.
    Spoke to the club manager and they have no idea why they were so badly damaged this winter.

Gap Wedge rowsie is on a distinguished road
    i was there may 24 weekend .. and yeah i hear what your saying about service and the playability of the course.. I first played there 5 years ago and they had both the handheld GPS and the yardage books,.,, this year when i went i looked and asked for the GPS and the guy looked at me like what are u talking about,,, i also asked for the yardage books and they say well we might have some somewhere but nope didnt get one,,, as for the course,, i dont believe it should be ranked 34th in all of canada,, nice course for sure but the reason the course is ranked 34th is because of where it is and the views and all of the elevation,, a member told me that when i first played it and i have to agree,,, when i played there a few weeks ago i thought the conditions of the fairways were good,, the only problem was they airrated the greens so they were bumpy but dont get me wrong they opened the course the day before,, what can ya expect,,, nice course and area,, but prolly wont go back until they upgrade the GPS or at least get yardage books,,,, im heding back that way in August for the long weekend then ,, and was wandering has anyone played la belle and la bete ?.. our group is thinking of trying those 2 courses next and wandering if its worth playing those 2,,

Pitching Wedge Instinct is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rowsie View Post
    i was there may 24 weekend .. and yeah i hear what your saying about service and the playability of the course.. I first played there 5 years ago and they had both the handheld GPS and the yardage books,.,, this year when i went i looked and asked for the GPS and the guy looked at me like what are u talking about,,, i also asked for the yardage books and they say well we might have some somewhere but nope didnt get one,,, as for the course,, i dont believe it should be ranked 34th in all of canada,, nice course for sure but the reason the course is ranked 34th is because of where it is and the views and all of the elevation,, a member told me that when i first played it and i have to agree,,, when i played there a few weeks ago i thought the conditions of the fairways were good,, the only problem was they airrated the greens so they were bumpy but dont get me wrong they opened the course the day before,, what can ya expect,,, nice course and area,, but prolly wont go back until they upgrade the GPS or at least get yardage books,,,, im heding back that way in August for the long weekend then ,, and was wandering has anyone played la belle and la bete ?.. our group is thinking of trying those 2 courses next and wandering if its worth playing those 2,,
    Well I'm heading to greyrock and playing La Belle Saturday and La Bete on Sunday. I'll give you an update Monday when I get back.

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    I played La Belle and La Bete last weekend, before Playing Geant.
    We have been going up there the last 4 years for our annual teacher tournament.
    I have to say that La Belle and La bete were in the best conditions I've seen.
    Usually Belle has slower greens, however, this year they look great and roll real good... but not a nice as La bete.
    Thoughts on La Belle, as played by a longer hitter from the whites...
    - it is a drivers dream.. a lot of the par 4 are almost driveable... hit it straight and pitching or chipping for eagle.
    - # 6 is a tough hole.. how much do you want to carry over the hazard. 555yard par 5 dogleg
    - #15... is it a par 3 or 4? 250 yard down hill.. Perhaps a par 4 from whites and par 3 from blue.

La Bete-
    # 2 is a bad hole.. for a long hitter.. the only hole that I would tee-off with a shorter club then approach shot. there are island landing areas for your tee shot..
    Weird.
    Bite, Bite!

Thread Information