CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Eagle Rusty is on a distinguished road Rusty's Avatar

Yardage books for Ottawa Golf Club courses?

Hi;

I was thinking about how nice a yardage book would be for the courses that we play as members of Ottawa Golf.
    Does anyone know of a source for the purchase of yardage books for the area? I am comptiplating making some myself, I figure it would be alot of work, but it would be fun in a sick sort of way.

I tried to use my handheld palm, but the sun was so bright I couldnt see it.

Do you think that the courses would have an objection to someone doing this, and possibly selling them at the proshop or online?
    While the ones that are provided by the courses are helpfull I would like something more detailed, for example how far from the back or front of a fairway bunker to the front or rear of the green.

The only downside would be waiting behind someone spending 5 minutes trying to decide if thats a full 7 iron or an easy 6 iron. :reallymad

Anyway its just a thought, any ideas as to whether this is out to lunch or not would be appreciated.

Rusty

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    Hi;

I was thinking about how nice a yardage book would be for the courses that we play as members of Ottawa Golf.
    Does anyone know of a source for the purchase of yardage books for the area? I am comptiplating making some myself, I figure it would be alot of work, but it would be fun in a sick sort of way.

I tried to use my handheld palm, but the sun was so bright I couldnt see it.

Do you think that the courses would have an objection to someone doing this, and possibly selling them at the proshop or online?
    While the ones that are provided by the courses are helpfull I would like something more detailed, for example how far from the back or front of a fairway bunker to the front or rear of the green.

The only downside would be waiting behind someone spending 5 minutes trying to decide if thats a full 7 iron or an easy 6 iron. :reallymad

Anyway its just a thought, any ideas as to whether this is out to lunch or not would be appreciated.

Rusty
    Have a look at www.golfwits.com. They have a soaftware package that you can create your own yardage books, Mapwits, or if they have the course, you can print one. Unfortunately Kanata is the only Ottawa course that I could find there, but they will make one for a price Not 100% accurate, but pretty close.

http://www.golfwits.com/searchresults.asp?id=3754109# - Click on eyardage book, it'll pop up a window.

It's a lot of work mapping out a course with a laser sight, or pacing off, not sure if it would make money or not, it might be worth a try though.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Thumbs up Great idea

Great idea, but probably a lot of work!

There used to be a yardage book for Emerald Links (East & West) available for free at the course and at the Airport Driving Range. Some other courses may have these available as well, or something close to it. Some of the course maps on this site are pretty detailed.

Dan used the original plans for Stonebridge to build the Links 2003 course, so I would assume the yardages in his virtual course are accurate.

And of course, The Marshes has GPS in their golf carts - so it wouldn't be too hard to do for their course.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

9 Iron scottymac is on a distinguished road scottymac's Avatar
    i have already tried this and did not get a good report from club owners

even @ no cost to them !!!!! dont get it

it is a lot of work!!!! we did one course and it took us 4 weeks
    SCOTT

3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    i got myself a laser finder this year, and I'm putting together a course book for manderley as we speak..

If it turns out alright, I'll let everyone on here know, and if someone is willing to host, then i'll gladly make it available for download...and possibly available for online viewing

it would be great if we could get a nice course book 'share' going....they are very useful, and not too much work goes into making them assuming you just mark as you play over a few weeks.

also, i have built a nice template for mapping if anyone is planning on mapping their home course and would like a head start.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Cool.

Now riddle me this - what the heck is "Burns Park Golf Course - Championship Course"??? Burns Park Golf Course location is listed as 7000 Campeau Drive. I'm assuming that this the original name of Kanata Golf and Country Club (previously Kanata Lakes GC). Better yet, is this some mythical track that one can only access by uttering a cryptic password while standing on one foot on a specific unmarked parking spot in the middle of Kanata Centrum?

The Burns Park map doesn't really bear much resemblence to the existing track... come to think of it though, I kind of like "Burns Park". Maybe we should start calling it that - create our own secret society - if there isn't one already that is...

Here's the link: http://www.golfwits.com/searchresults.asp?id=3754109
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information