CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter jules77 is on a distinguished road

Project X 5.5 vs. 6.0

I am playing Nakashima NP-1 irons, and of all the stupid things I pulled my Nippon shafts and put in PX 5.5's based on my club fitters reccomendation. Sometimes we should just leave well enough alone. Every iron that I have the px 5.5 (3-PW) I constantly hit left. My driver and wedges are as usual, generally right on the money, or if anything a light fade that never gets me in trouble. Im a 1.6 handicap and used to shooting 70's all the time, and hit 12-14 greens per round. I tried my club head with a 6.0 px today on a launch monitor and was hitting it right down the target line consistently. That being said I found the feel and weight of the 6.0 to be boardy and a lot of work to swing. The Nippons I was playing were the N.S. Pro 950GH which is lighter than both of these, and they were stiff flex. While I hit a lot of greens I was not getting the ball close enough and thought a more accurate and better shaft for my level of play would be an improvement. Now I am shooting in the 80's because I am hitting the ball left of everything and my short game is just winded from working so hard all the time. So I guess the question is really, should I switch to 6.0 and hope I get used to the feel? I felt like I was very in-sync with them and my club fitter said my club head speed was actually higher with them even though the swing looked smoother. Any suggestions or comments would be welcomed! I am a hurting unit right now, feeling like a wounded duck...

also my ball striking has been a little off at times with some thin shots, and also some fat shots which is not normal for me. I m figuring it's comfort level and maybe they are kicking too much for me.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Have you checked your lie angles?

my club fitter said that might be a way to straighten it out by flattening them out a bit. After doing some reading, I was thinking that maybe hard stepping them might be an option as well.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    Have you checked your lie angles?
    Den is correct. When a completly different shaft is put in to play from your previous ones, a lie check is a must. A different weight and flex profile will surely ave some effect at impact.

The lie angles were adjusted after the re-shaft. I will check them again this week...

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Ask for your old shafts

tried my club head with a 6.0 px today on a launch monitor and was hitting it right down the target line
    Try them outdoors.

So I guess the question is really, should I switch to 6.0 and hope I get used to the feel?
    Get used to a boardy feeling no thanks.

also my ball striking has been a little off at times with some thin shots, and also some fat shots which is not normal for me
    Stiffer shafts won't help with that. Why don't you go back to your cubfitter and have him you try different shafts other than the 2 mentionned above. Obviously the shaft bending properties of the new shafts do not suit your style of play. Never mind clubhead speed. How can one increase clubhead speed with a heavier club?It will only increase with a lighter club that you 'can' control. Or get a second opinion if you know what I mean.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    Den is correct. When a completly different shaft is put in to play from your previous ones, a lie check is a must. A different weight and flex profile will surely ave some effect at impact.
    Les. I am just being curious. Let's say you have 2 dynamic shafts. One is an A flex and the other one an X flex. In terms of toe droop how many degrees of lie angle difference between the 2 can one expect?????
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Les. I am just being curious. Let's say you have 2 dynamic shafts. One is an A flex and the other one an X flex. In terms of toe droop how many degrees of lie angle difference between the 2 can one expect?????
    To many variables at work here. First of all, the Dynamic line has not had an A/L flex in production for years but when it was available, it had a .580 butt and a lot lighter than the R/S model so there are 2 variables right of the bat. An awful lot would depend on the the caliber of the golfer and his swing mechanics and is ability or lack of to adjust to the 2 different shafts. Tempo is another biggy. You get the picture. IMO there is no way to generalize an answer to this question.

Thread Information