100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road

Sony Open /Michelle Wie Predictions?

Michelle Wie is playing in the Sony Open this week. Any predicitons as to how she will fair?
    I believe she will make the cut this time.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I don't think she will make the cut, she didn't do it in any of the other men's tour events she's played in, but I am sure she will learn a lot and hit more than her share of impressive shots. If she continues learning and playing the way she has over the last 4-5 years, she will one day. If she makes the cut at the Sony, all the power to her and she'll have proven that she can play at that level.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    All the power to her, but it will be interesting to see how much TV time they give her regardless of how she does (lots). With players getting extra tv airtime just because they are female, it brings to light the motivation for doing this. It is not about giving her a chance to compete at the highest level. It is about ratings. They are turning the PGA into a circus. Last year it was the "Anika Sorenstam Show"

I am all for the ladies playing in PGA events if they are up to it. But I don't want to watch them on TV unless they have a hope of contending. It's just like watching anyone who is on the cut line. It's only interesting when it's happening at Q school.

It also bugs me when Tiger trails by 10 shots and gets 50% of the airtime. The star is more important than the game. They should follow Ian Leggatt for every shot. I did at the Eagle Creek Classic in 98 and saw some awesome golf

My prediction; missed cut, tons of coverage Thurs and Fri.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I agree with Dan on the coverage part - both as it relates to Tiger when he is 10 shots off the lead (10 years ago the same was true of Greg Norman in any tournament) and also the anticipated overdose of Michell this week.

I do think she'll just make the cut - especially if she fired her caddie-father - as she has lots of local knowledge and she knows what to expect after having played in Monday qualifying for this event last year.

[QUOTE=Dan Kilbank] It also bugs me when Tiger trails by 10 shots and gets 50% of the airtime. The star is more important than the game. They should follow Ian Leggatt for every shot. I did at the Eagle Creek Classic in 98 and saw some awesome golf
    QUOTE]

They actually followed Tiger to the range last week after hios round, while the rest of the guys were still on the course.
    The simple reason is ratings - the hard core golf fan I'm sure would prefer to see actual shots rather than Tiger practising, Tiger scratching his butt, rubbing his eyes, yawning etc. Problem is the other people who are flipping through the channels might stop & watch a bit if Tiger is on the screen. Outside of Canada nobody cares to watch Ian Leggatt or even knows who he is.
    It's a catch-22 - the sponsors are putting up the money, and of course want as many people watching as possible, regardless of the reason, and have no interest in the integrity of the game.
    I do agree, it's become a circus & there needs to be restirctions on sponsors exemptions - otherwise why not let Bill Murray or Micheal Jordan play?

Outside of Canada nobody cares to watch Ian Leggatt or even knows who he is.
    Which is too bad. With Tiger TV the lesser known golfers remain lesser known, unless they are women, or girls.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    I guess I'll put my 2 cents in, she won't make the cut and yes like most people have mentioned already they'll still be following her around tomorrow when she's 8 or 10 or whatever over par. It's all about money, sponsorship and ratings unfortunately. I wish her all the best but she is only 14.
    Rory Sabbitini couldn't take the pressure of coming in last and Wie doing better than him and had to withdraw after a 78 today
    Last edited by fireice; 01-15-2004 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Sabbitini withdraws

The first 12 minutes of coverage tonight. Looks like that's it for today. She finished at +2. I am impressed with both Michelle's play, and the decision of the network to not overdo the coverage of her round. My faith is restored (until tomorrow) If she makes the cut. It would be a big story.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    What really impressed me today about Michelle Wie was the composure this 14 year old evinced in responding to questions both in the booth and in the press tent. Emontionally and socially she is way beyond her early teens. You go girl!

Andru
    I have no problem with the All Tiger All the time theme. He's the reason there were 72 million plus earners on the PGA tour last year. Admit it. A tournament means much more when Tiger is in the field.

Michelle Wie. She won't make the cut, even though she plays and practices the course everyday. It's her home course. She played very cautious today. Hitting the middle of the greens and taking her pars. Tomorrow she'll have to fire at some tucked pins. Expect a higher score. I hope she beats someone.

She's a unbelievable talent. Though I believe she has more size than game. She's hits it long but there are junior girls with better all around games.

Tiger has earned the hype. Michelle has not. I'm still waiting for her to win the US Womens Junior Amateur. She'll probably win it this year.

I wish I could play and practice everyday.

Ty Webb
    I predict she will shoot +2 on the first day.

Pitching Wedge RailRoad17 is on a distinguished road
    Heck, I will not watch the Sony Open if it wasn't for Michelle Wie. And I think that goes the same for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by RailRoad17
    Heck, I will not watch the Sony Open if it wasn't for Michelle Wie. And I think that goes the same for a lot of people.
    Bingo - avid golf fans will watch a tournament whether Tiger or Michelle are in the field or not, but the networks need to focus on these players to get the casual fan to watch. The problem with this is, unlike football, baseball etc., the only people who watch golf on tv also play the game.
    Networks & sponsors can try all they want but let's face it, if you don't play golf it's boring as hell to watch.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    I would love to see Michelle make the cut but I know that would mean everyone else in the tournament would be ignored. If she misses the cut, at least we can get normal coverage of the last 2 rounds. It would be as bad as last week with Tiger getting all the attention even when he had no real chance of winning.

Maybe my buddy has the right idea. Every time Tiger is in a tournament, it would be broadcast on 2 channels, 1 would cover the tournament and the other just Tiger. Then everyone would be happy.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by larry
    Maybe my buddy has the right idea. Every time Tiger is in a tournament, it would be broadcast on 2 channels, 1 would cover the tournament and the other just Tiger. Then everyone would be happy.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Tiger has his own channel before long.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Well, just mentioning his name almost hijacked this thread! :o

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road
    If Michelle, Annika, whomever, plays in a PGA Tour event, who loses? Who wins? Surely the gains are more significant than any perceived loss.

What do Phil Mickleson, Robert Gamez and Scot Verplank have in common? They all won Tour events as amateurs on sponsor's exemptions.

Who is the longest hitter on Tour? Hank Kuehne. How did he get on the Tour last year? Sponsor's exemptions. And then he played well enough on these sponsor's exemptions to earn his card for '04.

Has anyone forgotten that Tiger played in the LA Open as a mid teenager? How did he get in that tournament? Did anyone object?

Michelle qualified for the Sony because she has played well enough elsewhere to "earn" an exemption from the sponsor. Good for her and good for golf. Heck, she made 5 of 6 cuts on the LPGA Tour last year and played in the final group on the Nabisco and one other. She is the future of ladies golf, who obviously has the ability to perhaps pass Annika's amazing accomlishments, and she may just become better than some of the men who have Tour cards. We are getting an opportunity to see this young phenom develop her skills now, thanks to the sponsors, and for that I am grateful.

Would you rather watch a Michelle develop as a player, or a Ty Tryon?

While she is unlikely to make the cut today, she will beat a large number of the male, professionals. She deserves to play the Sony, at least until an "M" is put in front of PGA.

Having said that, however, I believe that she will have a better chance of developing her game, and a confident winning attitude, if she plays amateur golf primarily, combined with the 6 LPGA Tour events, in which she will be allowed to play.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by natgolfer
    Who is the longest hitter on Tour? Hank Kuehne. How did he get on the Tour last year? Sponsor's exemptions. And then he played well enough on these sponsor's exemptions to earn his card for '04.
    You can add Tiger to the list. He gained his tour card the same way as Hank Kuehne - by playing on sponsors exemptions at the end of the seasion following his 3rd US Amateur.

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    You can add Tiger to the list. He gained his tour card the same way as Hank Kuehne - by playing on sponsors exemptions at the end of the seasion following his 3rd US Amateur.
    How could I forget? (Easily)

Tiger trivia. What was his first Tour win? What bizarre circumstance happened in that tournament which may has allowed him to win?

Pitching Wedge RailRoad17 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by natgolfer
    How could I forget? (Easily)

Tiger trivia. What was his first Tour win? What bizarre circumstance happened in that tournament which may has allowed him to win?
    The leader was disqualified for some stupid reason. I can't remember his name though.

Sand Wedge McGavin is on a distinguished road

My 2 cents

I would have to agree with Natgolfer. Sponsors exemptions have been around forever and have frequently been given to golfers who had no realistic shot at winning. Its only now that they have been given to 2 women that it has become a big deal.

I am a huge golf fan and I would have watched regardless but it would have been far less interesting without Michelle Wie. Here is a 14 year old girl who came within a shot of making the cut at a PGA tour event. She is a phenom, and we were very close to witnessing a great achievement, an achievement that would have made golf history... does no one see this??? Would you have rather been watching Stephen Allan and Jerry Kelly?

Quote Originally Posted by Andru

She's a unbelievable talent. Though I believe she has more size than game. She's hits it long but there are junior girls with better all around games.
    Name a few....

Quote Originally Posted by McGavin
    I would have to agree with Natgolfer...
    I know this thread got split into 2, but please don't post the same message in 2 threads. Thanks.

Thread Information