100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

Putting (strange awesome advice)

has anyone heard this before? I was at the range and saw a guy measuring the distance between his feet (inside to inside). I watched him putt from all over the green. I threw 6 balls different distances away from the green. Stood at hole and walked to his ball to measure the distance to his ball. Then he would seperate his feet by a certain number of putter head widths. His lag was amazing. Anything that didn't go in was a tap in. He has a set distance (in putter heads) between his feet based on the distance of the putt. If the putt is uphill he adds more space between his feet. Now, when he was putting I saw that he was bringing the putter to the inside of his right foot and then through the ball and to the inside of his left foot.

Has anyone heard or this before, tried it before? I thought it was pretty smart. Seems like it makes the hardest part readin the breaks.. something at which i rock
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The distance you use on your backswing relates to the power of the shot.
    He's just setting the feet at different widths and using that as a measurement. Seems to work for him, but most people use a consistant stance and go inside or outside their back foot. Same thing really.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I have been using a technique for about 20 years now, take the putter back 1 inch for every yard to the hole or to the point gravity will take it to the hole. You may have to add an inch or 2 on uphill putts. This would be for a normal public green with just average speed. When you go somewhere where they have fast greens you will take 3 balls on the practice green to a flattish spot 10 paces from the hole and take the putter back 10 inches and stroke the ball smoothly, repeat 3 times without looking up. When you look up all three balls should be near each other and at a distance that you can calculate the speed of the greens from. Say the balls went 13 yards or paces, then you would know the speed of the greens are 30 % faster than normal so for a 10 pace putt you would take the putter head back 7 inches and stroke the ball smoothly. It's really all about consistent acceleration of the putter head, and the further back you take the putter head the more time it has to pick up speed. It takes time to get used to taking the club back various distances, I used a ruler when I started on the practice green till I got a feel and sense for the distance. It's funny but if you don't take it back quite enough your brain will tell your arms and shoulders to accelerate just a little faster or even slower if need be. The one trouble I get in is over accelerating at times and then I'll have a 3 footer coming back, but I can feel my mistake. When you have a three foot putt or one pace you don't want to take the club back one inch cause chances are you'll jab at the ball instead of stroke it so you have to experiment and see how far you can take the club back and stroke slowly and smoothly, it may take 3 inches with a slow steady stroke instead of the accelerating one. This is not for everyone, many use their eyes and feel the distance in their stroke and this is great but for analytical people controlling the distance of the back swing is normally easier than feeling. Hey give it a try, if you decelerate your putter you will not get this technique very easily.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Wow. Thanks for this. It is awesome advice.

Bouche
    incredible....i will be trying this on the practice green tomorrow. Ill let you know how it goes.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    incredible....i will be trying this on the practice green tomorrow. Ill let you know how it goes.
    Did you get a chance to try it ? Did it help you any ?

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    tried it today...and I must say my speed and length were awesome. Thanks for the advice

6 Iron Old Man is on a distinguished road
    This is something that might help on the practice green before each round .

Thread Information