100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Talking Best Mosquito/black fly repellant

So it's that time of year again when the bugs are hungry for our blood. In your experience what is the best repellent?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    ..........I vote for somebody in your group smoking fine cigars.......well it worked last year with Twoody .
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. Michael View Post
    So it's that time of year again when the bugs are hungry for our blood. In your experience what is the best repellent?

I brought cigars last year as well, but I kept on losing them. Everytime I'd go to hit the ball I'd have to put it down then walk away and forgetting it..
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    I look for the insect repellent with the most amount of "deet" in it. Usually use "deep woods" or "muskol". Keep a bottle of it in my bag all year round!!
    Never dreamt I would ever get so hooked on this game!!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Watkins. It works. I have a tube in my bag, and I just bought a little clip-on bottle of it the other day.

My only beef is that it is pretty greasy, you must wash your hands thoroughly before golfing. I do the intense application, then wash hands, then rub the back of my neck with the back of my hands so I don't get bites there.

I am extremely attractive to biting insects for some reason (could be the fabulous moustache) The watkins is pretty serious, contains deet, but also something more sinister. I forget what exactly.
    Andrew

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    bg458 owns the cigar shop in carlingwood mall... shameless plug LOL

someone posted one last year, 99% deet or something??
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Anything with 28-29% DEET is fine. Watkins is great stuff, but as Sakuraba says, greasy stuff.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Ace TWoody is on a distinguished road TWoody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    ..........I vote for somebody in your group smoking fine cigars.......well it worked last year with Twoody .
    Bugs don't like Cubans . They also don't like the smell of bounce sheets and you'll see me wiping down with them and carrying extra in my bag this weekend.
    TWoody
    Member of the TGN Team
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TWoody View Post
    Bugs don't like Cubans . They also don't like the smell of bounce sheets and you'll see me wiping down with them and carrying extra in my bag this weekend.
    TWoody
    And no static cling!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Insect reppelent

Chris, the secret to this is swinging the club with the cigar in your mouth.Works fine for me.LOL.

quote=Chris St. Michael;254917]I brought cigars last year as well, but I kept on losing them. Everytime I'd go to hit the ball I'd have to put it down then walk away and forgetting it..[/quote]

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Just for laughs have you been getting anywhere as much rain up there as we have in Pa. I think it has rained 5 out of 7 days each week for the last month. If it has rained a lot in Belleville it's going to be buggy, and I might add soft scoring conditions see every cloud has a silver lining if your a golfer

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Wadkins--hands down---Le Baron sports----near CJOH on Merivale Road
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    [/QUOTE]look for the insect repellent with the most amount of "deet" in it. Usually use "deep woods" or "muskol". Keep a bottle of it in my bag all year round!![/QUOTE]the military also uses a formula with a high concentration of Deet.
    The higher the better end of story nothing else comes close.
    check "snopes" for all the UL mosquito solutions

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    You use to be able to get Army issue with 99% deet, it was pretty harsh stuff, had a bottle leak through my kit one time and it melted plastic and stained everything. Kept the bugs away, but you smelled like bug spray for about a week afterwards. They stopped using it because it was linked to cancer, I think I'd take the bug bites.

Quote Originally Posted by TWoody View Post
    TWoody
    Lance are you Cuban? I don't think he is, so I'll have to go with the bounce sheets.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    You can buy mosquito "sheets" now. I think they are OFF. Try Zellers or Wal-Mart. Too bad they don't make a combo bug spray/sun screen.

Bouche
    OFF Kids insect repellant....the one that has an orange smell j/k that stuff is crap but it makes ya smell good

They stopped using it because it was linked to cancer, I think I'd take the bug bites.
    not sure about that...

www.deetonline.org

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    it was the % of deet that was lowered. As mentioned above, you used to be able to get 95% deet in deep woods, but now it is limited to soemthign like 23%, they have looked at the % and desicded it was harmful.

in the end, many people have many theories on what stops mosquitoes, but really, deet is the only truly effective performer.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rancherJ View Post
    not sure about that...

www.deetonline.org
    I'm not a scientist or a doctor, I know that there were health risks and it had to be dramatically lowered. Looks like it wasn't linked to cance just neurological damage, so I guess that's ok . They don't make it any more either way.

I'd trust some of these sites rather then deetonline, which looks like it's probably sponsered by manufactures.

http://www.environmentalhealth.ca/spring03hazards.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/001586.html

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    Just for laughs have you been getting anywhere as much rain up there as we have in Pa. I think it has rained 5 out of 7 days each week for the last month. If it has rained a lot in Belleville it's going to be buggy, and I might add soft scoring conditions see every cloud has a silver lining if your a golfer
    Not a lot of rain here Frank. Maybe once a week. With that said it should start sometime today and end by Thursday.
    http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0056
    The weekend is sizing up to be great.
    TWoody
    Member of the TGN Team

Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. Michael View Post
    Lance are you Cuban? I don't think he is, so I'll have to go with the bounce sheets.
    Chris are you saying you'd only smoke Lance if he was Cuban. A little prejudice eh!
    TWoody
    Member of the TGN Team

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    You can buy mosquito "sheets" now. I think they are OFF. Try Zellers or Wal-Mart. Too bad they don't make a combo bug spray/sun screen.
    I have bought combo bug spray/sun screen at Zellers & Wal-Mart before. Can't remember whether they stock it with the suncreen or the bug spray, but it is available.

I'm not a scientist or a doctor, I know that there were health risks and it had to be dramatically lowered. Looks like it wasn't linked to cance just neurological damage, so I guess that's ok . They don't make it any more either way.
    The deet online website has some excellent links to the Mayo clinic,New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of Toxicology to name a few. Good ol' snopes is great place to look too. BTW I don't believe in Global warming either
    :-p

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rancherJ View Post
    The deet online website has some excellent links to the Mayo clinic,New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of Toxicology to name a few. Good ol' snopes is great place to look too. BTW I don't believe in Global warming either
    :-p
    The term "global warming" should be banned because its so misleading. Its really "climate change" that should be talked about.

you hear "Global warming my butt" when it snows in May or it cold too long, but noone was mentioning global warming when it rained for a week and was +10 in January.

OK to clarifyI don't believe in "Climate change"
    caused by man climate change that is

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I used to use the 95% deet when treeplanting ... cover your hard hat in it and you don't even need to put any on your body.

fyi I wouldn't do that w/ a golf hat that you like. After 1 month my hardhat was scarred/melted all over from the Deet ... it's pretty harsh stuff. Can't imagine what it would do to fabric over a long period.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm old enough to remember the 1st time the "trucker" style baseball hat was prevalent, and the %98 deet muskol would literally melt the mesh of those hats on contact.

I just find the watkins doesn't smell (as bad) & does the same job.
    Andrew

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I have herd something about Listerine original flavor is great as bug repellent. Nice sent too. I’ll try it eventually.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I heard about a new repellant that is much more effective than Deet. Unfortunately I didn't get the skinny, but I did hear that it's under testing now and may be made available soon.

I know, that's very vague but I just caught the end of the broadcast on the A-Channel morning show the other day. Anyone know more about it?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thread Information