100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

IF scotty cameron was no more?

If he retired and they stopped making his putters... what would you guys switch to?? Or you would just drive up the prices of all his old stuff?
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    I would start my own company and would hire his marketing guys!!!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    There is no shortage of equally good putters, in very similar styles, out there that could fill the Scotty gap.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    There is no shortage of equally good putters, in very similar styles, out there that could fill the Scotty gap.
    such as?
    willy

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Also, the reason I posted this in this section was because the question is more for the guys like hacker with 8 sctties who sleep with them in his bed
    willy

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Bettinardi, Ping, Odyssey, Slighter, 350 milled, etc.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Slighter or Ping

Are you desperately trying to get your thread count up Silly? Seem to be posting a LOT of little questions lately.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    There are a ton of great quality putters out there.. I am currently using a TP Mills and love it!! There are other quality makes that aren't so to speak OTR such as Slighter, C&L, Byron, Bettenardi....
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Ping used to be as dominant on tour as Scotty is now. He'll get replaced at some point too, it's all cyclical. There are a lot of quality putters out there now though. I have a Mills and love it. I know Tom is fooling around with a copper Byron. Whitlam, C&L/350 Milled, Slighter makes great custom stuff, Sizemore, Bettinardi, Machine, etc., etc. Lots of great milled putters from mainstream companies too, Titleist and Mizuno obviously, but also Ping Redwoods (which are incredibly customizable through WRX), Odyssey Blacks...

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    "fooling around with a copper Byron" huh?

Actually, copper milled from 1 solid copper billet, sound slot, 360 gram headweight...and now that I'm getting used to the sound, I'm starting to love this putter!

Not sure if I'm going to sell all of the Cammies. After all, they are beautiful sticks!

lol. And with "Tommy" stamped on the bumper, how can you lose? Copper is so soft by itself, you don't find it too mushy with the slot?

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Ping Redwood Answer.

Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    Slighter or Ping

Are you desperately trying to get your thread count up Silly? Seem to be posting a LOT of little questions lately.
    I don't really have any REAL golf questions, I more like to know about what my friends like, what they don't like ect. I'm a people person
    willy

3 Iron tko is on a distinguished road tko's Avatar
    I know it's old but I sitll love my Ping Zing 2i. I'm a big fan of some more standard looking YES! putters as well.
    "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know."

Baxter
    Silly,

To answer your question...I would be buying the old stuff rather than switching to some thing else.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    such as?
    my Byron
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Odyssey Black #2 right now for this cowboy....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    such as?
    I had Scotties for 10 years..... Now i'm with Gauge Design/Dave Withlam putters. The putters from his company are outstanding and not made in thousands. You have to spend over a grand + to get a Scotty putter as well made as these. Lots of guys are still throwing money at Scotty putters because of the hype and the "i gotta have one in the bag" for what ever reason.
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by btasse View Post
    I had Scotties for 10 years..... Now i'm with Gauge Design/Dave Withlam putters. The putters from his company are outstanding and not made in thousands. You have to spend over a grand + to get a Scotty putter as well made as these. Lots of guys are still throwing money at Scotty putters because of the hype and the "i gotta have one in the bag" for what ever reason.
    And here I thought that putting was impact point, face angle, club head path and weight. Where's my Bullseye? Corey Pavin has it.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    I'll forward your eye-rolling to the #1 player in the world. He seems to like his Scotty...

Hey..... I'm not saying that Scotty does not make great putters. He makes a few great putters for tour players which these players are getting by the bunch bunch to play for nothing (same as all other putter makers by the way). If you look closely there are very little difference between the best putters make by companies. Ask anyone of them how much it costs to make a putter and they will tell you less than a couple of hundred bucks. Putting has to do with feel and making putts...... If you like a putter (whether it's $10 or thousands of bucks) then go for it.

Bouche
    I just got my first Scotty!! cant wait to try it although its nothing special....just a futura but regardless its my first

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I have owned two Scotties in the past year. Neither lasted more than a month in my bag. Why? I did not feel they were any better than other putters I have owned. One I sold to Sillywilly and the other I traded back in towards a new TaylorMade putter.

I was just not that impressed with my Scotties. Sure they were nice putters, but so are TaylorMades, YES, Pings and other OEM's. I currently have a Daytona I in my bag and really like the feel of this putter. I also have a CGB Fontana and really like it too.

Putters are a personal club. You love yours, I love mine. Over the years I have putted well with flatsticks I paid less than $30 for. I can remember buying my first Ping Anser years ago for $30 and I thought I was on top of the world. Used that putter for years and made many great putts with it too.

Let me say this. If Tiger switched over to a YES model do you think the sales of YES would jump through the roof? Of course they would.

The golf market is driven by susccess on the tour. Tiger uses a Scottie, everyone wants a Scottie.

Tiger uses a JOSMOE PUTTER then everyone will rush out and buy a JOSMOE.

"Win on Sunday, sell on Monday"
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I wonder if everyone will change to an old ping grip since that's what Tiger has on his SC putter? :

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I wonder if everyone will change to an old ping grip since that's what Tiger has on his SC putter? :
    The used Newport 2.5 I bought this spring ( and unloaded this spring) had a Ping grip on it. I put a Scotty grip on it.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    I have been less than impressed with the 'newer' scotties compared to the earlier models. The newer ones are milled from a single block of steel. While impressive in it's own right, I feel this shift from the traditional 'welded neck' is due more to increasing production capacity then improvement in putter quality.

I am not certain this trend will be as successful as he may anticipate.
    ________
    CHEAP GLASS PIPES
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
    I have been less than impressed with the 'newer' scotties compared to the earlier models. The newer ones are milled from a single block of steel. While impressive in it's own right, I feel this shift from the traditional 'welded neck' is due more to increasing production capacity then improvement in putter quality.

I am not certain this trend will be as successful as he may anticipate.
    You have it backwards, it's the older putters that were 'one-piece milled', though the new Selects are as well. Some of the newer putters were friction welded, spinning the neck against the putter head at a high rate of speed to attach it. This is a cheaper process than milling from a single billet of steel. Ping uses a process called 'skim milling' where a rough putter head shape is cast and then milled to the finished product. There are lots of different techniques.

Quality and feel is more associated with the 'one-piece' milling than the practice of attaching a neck to a head (or skim milling), though some manufacturers (TP Mills for one) only produce welded neck putters.

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    Then why is it that I have yet to find another scotty that putts as well as my SD 1.5?
    ________
    LAMBORGHINI URRACO
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:44 AM.

bbad
    The 6 inches between your ears won't let you

Quote Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
    Then why is it that I have yet to find another scotty that putts as well as my SD 1.5?

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    i just switched to scotty about 3 weeks ago and i noticed a night and day difference over the odyssey putters
    if i had to switch, id pick up a taylormade spider

Thread Information