CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Big Smoke

Local/Surrounding Club fitters

Hello Everyone,
    I would like to know from everyone here that got "fitted" not just lie,length,grip size,heads, etc etc, that were reccommended but the FLEX and the SHAFT(S). When you did receive your reccomendations from your Club Fitter based on 'their" knowledge and understanding of the shaft they are reccommending to all. Has anyone seen their Club Fitter hit a Golf Ball and to see if the can actually hit a golf ball and understand how to make the golf ball move left to right or right to left on command. just curious if they are just talkers out there or are the fitters who understand the stress the shafts go under on all shots what we the golfers are needing from out NEW equipment.
    All feed back will be greatly appreciated

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'm not sure I see where you're getting at.

Knowing why something happens and being able to make it happen on command are two very different skills. Tiger Woods, for example, is a very good golfer but it is unlikely that he is as good a clubfitter. The reverse can also be true.

If your fitter understands the relationships between what he sees in your swing and resulting ball flight who cares if he can hit draws/cuts on command?
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I'm not sure I see where you're getting at.

Knowing why something happens and being able to make it happen on command are two very different skills. Tiger Woods, for example, is a very good golfer but it is unlikely that he is as good a clubfitter. The reverse can also be true.

If your fitter understands the relationships between what he sees in your swing and resulting ball flight who cares if he can hit draws/cuts on command?
    I agree.. Just because you work in the pit doesn't mean you have to be a good race car driver.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Big Smoke
    Chris, let me take a guess here, you are Club Fitter?

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    Same kind of idea here...
    the guy who helped with my boot fitting, installed, profiled, and sharpens my skate blades does not own a pair himself. He is recognized in the city as one of the best at what he does.

3 Wood Skiddlydidly is on a distinguished road Skiddlydidly's Avatar
    I don't see any reason a club-fitter would have to be a good golfer.

I would imagine that most club-fitters are golfers, but skill at one certainly wouldn't translate to the other.
    Sucking at golf is it's own reward.

5 Iron mysticalwarrior is on a distinguished road mysticalwarrior's Avatar

Fitters

Wow
    all I can say is one of the winningest coaches in swimming ona world level never knew how to swim until his athletes took pity on him and gave him lessons. No where is it mandatory or neccessary for anyone to be truly accomplished at sport to enable you to teach it or coach it So why would a club fitter have to be an accompolished golfer. Most of tale up club building for various reasons. Me I took it it up tp prove apro wrong. His attitude was they were good enough for me what makes you any different he was 6 foot tall and im 5foot 6inches pushing it with shoes on. And yes I was right and he was wrong but he was an expert and a great golfer.
    So what would you rather have a good golfer or a good fitter.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. Michael View Post
    I agree.. Just because you work in the pit doesn't mean you have to be a good race car driver.

exactly, just because geoff has a million posts doesn't mean he could run ottawagolf
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Big Smoke
    With that logic, as mentioned up above, Why would anyone go and take lessons from a Golf Pro then.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Why not? Not all CPGA's are great golfers. A lot of them rarely golf anymore because they are so busy with teaching and running their pro shops. I had a great lesson from my old club pro and a few days later I was watching him hit the ball and he was really struggling, but his lesson was really good. Those you can't teach. Same for club fitters. Being able to fit and make clubs has nothing to do with being able to hit perfect shots, they just have to be able to understand what club characteristics are needed to help you have the best opportunity to hit perfect shots. I don't think I understand what you’re REALLY trying to get at, sounds like you have a hidden agenda or a point that you're trying to bait us to. Just spit it out.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    I don't think I understand what you’re REALLY trying to get at, sounds like you have a hidden agenda or a point that you're trying to bait us to. Just spit it out.
    Hey, put those words back in my mouth!
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Why not? Not all CPGA's are great golfers
    That's a different story. all you got to do is finish in the top 10 and renew your yearly dues
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
    Chris, let me take a guess here, you are Club Fitter?
    Nope.. nor am I a great golfer.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Remember though, there is a difference between a club fitter and club builder. Hell, I can even build clubs, but I wouldn't dare try to fit someone for a set.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

fitter

Took the words out of my mouth as well Read the part about the swim coach
    Just because you can golf doesnt mean you make a good teacher ON that matter how many teachers did you have in high school who were bad and shouldnt be teaching but were. Again its not how good you golf its how good you see things and can relate to what the person is doing right and wrong that makes you a good teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    Why not? Not all CPGA's are great golfers. A lot of them rarely golf anymore because they are so busy with teaching and running their pro shops. I had a great lesson from my old club pro and a few days later I was watching him hit the ball and he was really struggling, but his lesson was really good. Those you can't teach. Same for club fitters. Being able to fit and make clubs has nothing to do with being able to hit perfect shots, they just have to be able to understand what club characteristics are needed to help you have the best opportunity to hit perfect shots. I don't think I understand what you’re REALLY trying to get at, sounds like you have a hidden agenda or a point that you're trying to bait us to. Just spit it out.

To be a teaching pro you have to have a decent level of ability to be able to show the idea you are trying to convey. How can you teach a draw or a hook or getting out of the sand if you can't hit the shot???

I personally do not feel that a fitter has to be a scratch golfer but his game has to be at a cerain level as well. Of course a scratch golfer with great teaching skills can certainly tell the golfer how to correct a swing flaw and fit accordingly. Fitted clubs do not correct swing flaws.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I dont neccessarilly agree with you chief I know all to well how to make a draw but am unable to due to the arthritis in my hands and shoulders and back. But I could explain and tell and have some one do it when I cant its all about passion when it comes to teaching and ability to convey the message across to to others who cant do it.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    To be a teaching pro you have to have a decent level of ability to be able to show the idea you are trying to convey. How can you teach a draw or a hook or getting out of the sand if you can't hit the shot???
    Chief, I would submit that Warren Grant is one of the top teaching pros in the area - and he is in a wheelchair. He may have had the ability to "hit the shot" before his accident, but since then he has obviously learned to convey his ideas without actually demonstrating them in person.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Chief, I would submit that Warren Grant is one of the top teaching pros in the area - and he is in a wheelchair. He may have had the ability to "hit the shot" before his accident, but since then he has obviously learned to convey his ideas without actually demonstrating them in person.

Thanks Terry... Wonderful example...

Thanks Terry I couldnt remember his name for the life of me

Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. Michael View Post
    Thanks Terry... Wonderful example...

There are always exceptions to the rule and there is always someone who will bring them up. If he can do it well he must have been around the game for a long time. If he can convey his ideas without demonstrating it well then is then an excellent communicator and has a great knowledge of the golf swing. At one point in his life his handicap must have been below 7 or better. When I was teaching something else there was another guy who coachd some juniors and brought them up to a very good level. He did not know jack squat about technique and would hardly ever give any advice. But he had them hit gazillion balls and they got good. Certainly not because of his teaching skills.

[quote]
    I dont neccessarilly agree with you chief I know all to well how to make a draw but am unable to due to the arthritis in my hands and shoulders and back. But I could explain and tell and have some one do it when I cant its all about passion when it comes to teaching and ability to convey the message across to to others who cant do it.
    [/QUOTE]

The draw was just an example. Would you take a chipping lesson from a guy who can't break 90 on a regular basis and skulls one out of 5 chip shots? There are some assistant pros out there who have no business in teaching. I guess it's OK for teaching lil ol Bertha but not for a 7 handicap if you catch my drift.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information