100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

Fish tanks (all info weclome)

I'm thinking of getting one. I have no clue where to start? Fresh, salt? How big of a tank? What kind of fish? I don't trust salesmen so maybe some of you have been through this already? What tank do I need if I want really exotic expensive fish? What if I want those crazy fish with the teeth?? How much and I look at here?? What would be the maint. per month on a tank? thanks boys and girls
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I don't know a lot about it but my friend just started a tank and is using plants to filter the tank much nicer then having a mechanical filiter I would look into this.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

will do, great idea. Thanks
    willy

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    will do, great idea. Thanks

I saw it and it is pretty cool. He has snail to clean the glass and shrimps to eat the snails.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    First thing you need to do is figure out how much time and money you want to spend.
    Freshwater tanks are cheaper to set up and maintain.The fish are also less expensive.Keep in mind the bigger the tank...the bigger the work load.
    Saltwater tanks are great to look at,the fish are beutifull.I would recomend a yellow tang and a Picaso trigger fish,maybe a lion fish.These fish are NOT cheap.You could be looking at 100.00-200.00 range for each!!!
    You will also need a certain amount of live rock to help keep the tank clean,also expensive.Add the special pumps and skimmers involved in these tanks,and salts etc...and it addes up fast!Stray away from maintenance just once and your dead so to speak.Anyway you look at it...fresh or salt its a full time job,i know
    If your like me and lazy...get freshwater setup around 20 gallon.Avoid goldfish.
    Angel fish and mollies are hearty breeds and live long.
    Hope this helps
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

wow, great info man. Thanks!!! fresh it is LOL
    willy

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I have had both freshwater and Saltwater from 20 Gal to 280 gallon. I found the the easiest to keep clean was the 280 Saltwater. Now, it was easier because I had the appropriate filtration and changed the filetermedia regularly, I also had the right mixture of fish including ugly bottom dwelling scum suckers

My recommendation is to read up on them (especially the diseases) and find a reputable store to buy your fish.

Freshwater fish can also be 'fun' but definitely not as colorful.... much easier on the budget though!

From what I know of you, stay away from getting them caus eyour not home often enough to take proper care of them! You miss feeding them for a couple of days anfd the little ungrateful buggers tend to go belly up in the water
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    I'm thinking of getting one. I have no clue where to start? Fresh, salt? How big of a tank? What kind of fish? I don't trust salesmen so maybe some of you have been through this already? What tank do I need if I want really exotic expensive fish? What if I want those crazy fish with the teeth?? How much and I look at here?? What would be the maint. per month on a tank? thanks boys and girls

By fish with teeth....you mean Piranha???? If so...Had 8 red bellys. Pritty easy to take care of as they are fresh water. As most fish they will grow with the size of the tanks.

to clean just use your net to move them to one side of tank...add a sheet of glass down the midde and clean the one side were the fish are not. They wont really bite you as long as you dont make sudden movement or try and grab them. have a nice scar on my palm from reaching into the plants were one was.

If you want a few you should get them all together young...if you do go to add some make sure you change everything around in the tank as they are territorial and will kill the ones you add.

Black Piranha's are crazy....you might want to stay away. you can really only have one as they will kill anything that moves. Also have the top of the tank covered well, they will jump out! These are quite rare and alot more $$$ then red bellys

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    You will find all the info you need and more here. http://ovas.ca/

oh man, i want some crazy killer fish!!! I want to drop a mouse in there and see what happens. Is there anything you can do to make the more violent than they already are? Without being cruel to them..
    willy

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    oh man, i want some crazy killer fish!!! I want to drop a mouse in there and see what happens. Is there anything you can do to make the more violent than they already are? Without being cruel to them..
    I dont think they can get any more violent! a mouse would be quite messy! Should only feed them other fish.

If you have other pets I dont recommend getting piranahs. thats why I got rid of mine.....did not want to take a chance, as my cat liked to jump up and chase them around the tank! It only takes seconds and the cats paw would be torn apart!

Also if you do get them and they jump out dont pick them up with your hand if they are large....they have a 3 times harder bite reflex when out of the water! This would take a massive chunk pritty quick!

omg, you should be in sales!! Everything you said makes me want to get these fish LOL
    willy

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Fish tanks are very beautiful, and what you can do with a salt water tank is endless. They become an addiction though, the costs to maintain them can be minimal but if you are like me and like adding to them constantly then the cost can be phenomonal, not to mention the price of the really nice fish are outrageous. I would suggest finding a used tank on Kijjiji or something and just trying it to see if you really like it. It is not for some people. And as someone else mentioned if you are not home alot, anything can or will go wrong with the tank. And one little disease from a new fish can wipe out all of your fish in no time. I would also suggest reading up on having fish tanks cus the mixture of wrong fish and it just won't work. As for me I like the more tranquil fish and the live bearers, I have been known to stay up all night with my fish when they were giving birth, just to make sure the babies didn't get ate!!!
    Never dreamt I would ever get so hooked on this game!!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    omg, you should be in sales!! Everything you said makes me want to get these fish LOL

Maybe a small fish bowl and a Guppy would be more your style
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Good grief ---why did I know he would go for the piranah ---Silly at the butcher counter---"any scraps for my fish?"
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Just get a couple of those fighting fish at the pet store, I think they are less than $10, then get one of the tanks with the divider in it, remove the divider from time to time and watch the fish fight. Plus you dont have to clean the water that often, then can live in a filthy mess.

Signed,
    Michael Vick

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Good grief ---why did I know he would go for the piranah ---Silly at the butcher counter---"any scraps for my fish?"
    haha, I'm going to feed them live food man!! I'm going to drp a rat in there
    willy

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    hey, i currently keep a 60 gallon freshwater tank and a 10g salt water tank.

The 60 gallon tank cost me:
    tank": $100 (used)
    stand: $60 (metal)
    lights for plants: $150
    gravel: $80
    Filter: $75
    drift wood and rocks: $50
    fish and plants: $50
    total about $565 give or take as you ad to it slowly.

10g saltwater
    tank - $10
    stand - $10
    Lights - $180
    live rock - $60
    filter & pumps - $90
    sand - $30
    coral - $200
    Fish (2 clowns) - $50
    snails and hermits - $30
    salt mix - $50
    RO/DI water - roughly $5 a week

total $710 - and theres probably some other random stuff i missed.. .and this is only for a 10g tank... saltwater is crazy expensive.. but that being said its my favorite tank and i love it.

If i were you i would start a fresh water tank. And not a small one. go to www.ovas.ca and see if you can find yourself a good sized used tank. as big as you can afford as larger tanks are easier to maintain and keep healthy as the larger water volume is more stable. something in the range of 30-60gallons. I wouldn't got less then 30 gallons.

DO FILTER THE TANK MECHANICALLY.. do not try that plant filter. not recommended for people just starting out. an aquaclear hang on back filter is fairly cheap and works great.

do plan on spending atleast 30 mins a day doing ods and ends on your tank to keep it clean and your fish happy.

do plan on doing a 10%-20% water change every week to keep the water clean and the fish alive.

do lots of research before you buy anything. Freshwater is a little more forgiving but still killing a tank full of fish can be expensive and frustrating. READ READ READ READ READ all you can.

its a lot of work but the tanks look great in the living room and its very rewarding to see a tank thrive.

Good luck.

my name on the OVAS forumn is sdivell so if you end up joining it look for me there.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    My wife is an executive on the OVAS site. If you have any questions they can easily be handled there. They also have a classified section to pick up used stuff.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g8r View Post
    Just get a couple of those fighting fish at the pet store, I think they are less than $10, then get one of the tanks with the divider in it, remove the divider from time to time and watch the fish fight. Plus you dont have to clean the water that often, then can live in a filthy mess.

Signed,
    Michael Vick
    Hilarious. I had one of those Beta fish that we got as a centrepiece at a wedding. You could get that sucka all worked up by putting a mirror in front of him.
    Andrew

i got one at a wedding to but gave mine some beer.... not sure if he died or not, I was to wasted to remember
    willy

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Hilarious. I had one of those Beta fish that we got as a centrepiece at a wedding. You could get that sucka all worked up by putting a mirror in front of him.
    I'm laughing so hard I'm crying
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information