CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road

Repairing Aeration Holes on the Green

I think I know the answer, but.... are you allowed to repair aeration holes on a green? I think you're only allowed to repair pitch marks, and not even spike marks.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    You are not allowed to repair aeration holes but if a local rule is in place if the ball settles in one of the holes the ball may be placed at the nearest spot not nearer the hole. You have it right

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    even if there was no local rule and I paid $50 to play a course.. if my balls in in an Aeration hole... I'm moving it w/o penalty
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    even if there was no local rule and I paid $50 to play a course.. if my balls in in an Aeration hole... I'm moving it w/o penalty
    If there are aeration holes, perhaps they should not be charging $50.

Now let's see:
    (1) Improving line of play - 2 strokes
    (2) playing from a wrong place - 2 strokes. Because the breach was not a serious one, we won't disqualify you, this time.

What are you lying now?

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Ha! Courses NEVER offer the revelation that their greens have been punched. That would mean that the golfer would say, no thanks, I'll play somewhere else!

Now let's see:
    (2) playing from a wrong place - 2 strokes. Because the breach was not a serious one, we won't disqualify you, this time.

What are you lying now?
    I would declare it a practice round... and wouldn't play by offical golf rules.. I would play by depe J rules
    willy

I would declare it a practice round... and wouldn't play by offical golf rules.. I would play by depe J rules
    careful...you might get accused of simply "playing golf" instead of "being a golfer." For shame...

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Now let's see:

What are you lying now?
    Do you guys know of any course that offers this service?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

I guess you figured by now the foregoing was "tongue in cheek"? But it begs a question.

The game is designed to be played on certain surfaces and handicaps etc are calculated by that condition. So--how come a player can be penalized on the green when the surface is obviously "ground under repair"?

Now if you took this all to the exteme---how can you really get a proper handicap for two players playing 2 different courses with the same slope and rating---the only difference being that course A is in top condition and course B is in bad shape. The two players are (for arguments sake) 14 or 15 HC?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I guess you figured by now the foregoing was "tongue in cheek"? But it begs a question.

The game is designed to be played on certain surfaces and handicaps etc are calculated by that condition. So--how come a player can be penalized on the green when the surface is obviously "ground under repair"?

Now if you took this all to the exteme---how can you really get a proper handicap for two players playing 2 different courses with the same slope and rating---the only difference being that course A is in top condition and course B is in bad shape. The two players are (for arguments sake) 14 or 15 HC?
    One basic tenet of the game is to play the course as you find it, good, bad or indifferent. Obviously, if one plays a course in bad shape, and another plays a course that is in Augusta National condition, all other things being equal, the scores will vary and one player will naturally have a higher factor than the other. What does it matter as long as the number accurately reflects how you played that particular golf course?

How would you lower the Handicap System standards of the well conditioned courses to meet the standard of the poorly shaped ones, or visa versa?

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    careful...you might get accused of simply "playing golf" instead of "being a golfer." For shame...
    The difference between the two is etiquette, with the emphasis on consideration for others.

Remember this?

I had a word with the golf Gods and they don't mind at all if you want to putt with your glove on. But man, there are plenty of things that do anger them. They started with all the obvious sins: cheating, slow play, not replacing divots or fixing ball marks. Once their tirade was underway there was no stopping them. Riding a cart when you could walk. Loud people. Anyone older than 20 wearing a baseball cap backwards. Hitting a wild tee shot and then immediately playing a provisional before the rest of your group has teed off. But you know what they hate most of all? When golfers lose their temper and stop enjoying the beautiful game. That really makes them mad.

These are people who play golf. Notice how it has nothing to do with age,(well almost) sex, ability, handicap, bank balance, occupation, public, private or semi private membership?

BC-I understand your answer (well maybe)--Are you saying that even though there are standards set for the game---when it comes to handicapping-standard conditions don't apply. If so; then rules governing cetain conditions should not apply ie--ground under repair---you get to improve your lie in this instance: also the rule--"lift clean and place" under certain conditions. I don't think that is "play the course as you find it".

Maybe the rules are too complicated for most of us? I'm just confused and I read a rule book----well you know when

mac, I'm with you. I find some of the rules confusing but I do try to follow them to the best of my ability. My goal is to a) have fun and b) improve

Life is stressful enough and I don't need to stress about golf.

If I were playing a course that had aerated greens I would almost 100% call it a practice round. I don't need the stress of my cap going up because of the course conditions. I'll still try to follow as many of the rules as possible but something extreme like that.. I will pull my ball out of the aeration hole and move it over 1/4 of an inch.
    willy

mac, I'm with you. I find some of the rules confusing but I do try to follow them to the best of my ability. My goal is to a) have fun and b) improve

Life is stressful enough and I don't need to stress about golf.

If I were playing a course that had aerated greens I would almost 100% call it a practice round. I don't need the stress of my cap going up because of the course conditions. I'll still try to follow as many of the rules as possible but something extreme like that.. I will pull my ball out of the aeration hole and move it over 1/4 of an inch.
    Your handicap factor is based on your best games, presumably played under a variety of turf conditions. There is no doubt that if the greens have just been punched with a large tyne and proper dressing has not been applied, the roll of the ball will be affected. A good local committee will be on top of situations like this and make the allowable local rule that if a ball lands in an aeration hole that it may be dropped through the green or placed on the putting green, out of such marks. We do this at Greensmere and play is negatively affected, very little.

Preferred lies are sometimes allowed if turf conditions are so adverse that fairness is impossible or if, in the eye's of the greens staff, the course needs protection. Occasional spring time conditions in the Ottawa area see extensive ice or fungus damage and preferred lies are instituted until conditions return to fair. I emphasize FAIR, not perfect. The problem with preferred lies is that many golfers get used to fluffing up the ball making it easier to make good contact and often score lower because of this. The better scores do not reflect the golfers true potential and often hurt the golfer when he suddenly has to play the ball down in competition.

If there are breaks in the irrigation lines and the greens staff need to dig and fix, then it may be unfair for a golfer to have to play from such a position. Therefore, an optional free drop is permitted, again to promote fairness. After heavy rains, is it fair to have to play a ball out of a puddle or have to stand in one up to play a shot? Again, to promote fairness, a drop is allowed. However, if casual water is NOT visible, before or after the golfer takes his stance, he gets no relief. Squishy ground is NOT a reason to get free relief. Fairness is maintained.

Golf is a tough game to play well, and learning the rules is a never ending challenge, but it is also part of the enjoyment of the game, at least for some of us.

Dont' get me wrong lyle, I really enjoy the rules section of this forum. I've learnt alot and now with all of these guys becoming officals and posting questions and scenerios daily, I'm learning more. Its true the handicap is based on 10 of your best 20 rounds but if you have a brutal round the first round gets bumped and if that is one of the ones that was counted... now another one that initally wasn't in your top 10 counts... and the cap goes up. This is why I would declare it a practice and try some new shots If I'm playing I'm playing for real, if I'm not playing for real I'm playing to get better

FUN and Improve.. hope I can do both this year

I had fun last year but didn't have a blast hopefully that changes this year
    willy

The difference between the two is etiquette, with the emphasis on consideration for others.

Remember this?

I had a word with the golf Gods and they don't mind at all if you want to putt with your glove on. But man, there are plenty of things that do anger them. They started with all the obvious sins: cheating, slow play, not replacing divots or fixing ball marks. Once their tirade was underway there was no stopping them. Riding a cart when you could walk. Loud people. Anyone older than 20 wearing a baseball cap backwards. Hitting a wild tee shot and then immediately playing a provisional before the rest of your group has teed off. But you know what they hate most of all? When golfers lose their temper and stop enjoying the beautiful game. That really makes them mad.

These are people who play golf. Notice how it has nothing to do with age,(well almost) sex, ability, handicap, bank balance, occupation, public, private or semi private membership?
    I don't know what that quote is from, but John Morgan (from England) played a year on the PGA Tour and he played every shot with his hat backwards, and he was over 20. He was a golfer.

I don't know what that quote is from, but John Morgan (from England) played a year on the PGA Tour and he played every shot with his hat backwards, and he was over 20. He was a golfer.
    The quote is from someone who obviously has high regard for both the game and those with whom he plays.

Many golf organizations, including our local OVGA, effect a dress code and a code of conduct for tournament play that reflects his ideals. While insisting that players have the peak of their hats facing forward, their shirts tucked in, and showing respect for the course, fellow competitors and officials may be old fashioned ideals to a few, most feel otherwise. The big picture is far more important than one exception.

The quote is from someone who obviously has high regard for both the game and those with whom he plays.

Many golf organizations, including our local OVGA, effect a dress code and a code of conduct for tournament play that reflects his ideals. While insisting that players have the peak of their hats facing forward, their shirts tucked in, and showing respect for the course, fellow competitors and officials may be old fashioned ideals to a few, most feel otherwise. The big picture is far more important than one exception.
    It is the manner in which you refer to people, the labels you throw around. I don't walk into the grocery store and think, I am so proud to be a golfer. I play golf, you play golf. Some play better than others, and it doesn't make one any more of a "golfer" than the other. Guys who play on Saturday mornings with their hats backwards and a case of beer in the cart aren't any less of a golfer than you and your buddies.

We should probably continue this discussion in a thread not titled "repairing aeration holes in greens"...

It is the manner in which you refer to people, the labels you throw around. I don't walk into the grocery store and think, I am so proud to be a golfer. I play golf, you play golf. Some play better than others, and it doesn't make one any more of a "golfer" than the other. Guys who play on Saturday mornings with their hats backwards and a case of beer in the cart aren't any less of a golfer than you and your buddies.

We should probably continue this discussion in a thread not titled "repairing aeration holes in greens"...
    Perhaps the point is being missed.

Thread Information