+ Reply to Thread
    9 Iron N.V.M. is on a distinguished road

Golf channel, again

yah, woke up, raining, plopped myself in front of the tv, watching the Golf Channel. haha, pretty bad when i even watch the Product Infomercials.
    anyways, i'm watching this Dave Pelz/Jesse Ortiz 4 wedge precision CNC milled ad and cutting through all the BS that they're professing, Dave asks why do major manufacturers only provide 1 wedge(P) average in an iron set when most of your shots are within 100 yds? makes sense to me. so i guess my question is for the mid to low handicappers,is 4 too many or not?(i use a P wedge,53* and 58* myself).

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    48, 52, 56, 60 for me. i also dont carry a 3 wood or 3/4 iron

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Way to many for me.carry a 48 and 52 and can do pretty much everything.It makes me work harder and be more creative.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've been 4 wedges (48, 52, 58, 60) for years.

Don't forget that not too many years ago 48* was a 9i.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    At this moment, I carry the following wedges: 45, 48, 52 and 60 degrees. I will have the 48 degree wedge turned into a 45 (it has better groves than my old one), and then I'll be able to put an extra hybrid in the bag.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Many OEM's are offering sets of irons without a 3 iron and offer an extra wedge. Some offer no 3-4 iron and add in a gap and sand wedge. If you are buying a new set of irons then ask the dealer about this option.

I now carry a 52, 56 and I put in a 58 with 12 degree bounce for short shots and sand play.

My problem is in order to add a 5 wood, which I need I have to drop a club. So I think my 3 wood is coming out as I can use the 5 wood more often and hit it better from the fairway.

I have used that 58 degree wedge numerous times since I put it in my bag. So chances are it is staying there.

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I used to carry PW (46-47is), 52, 56 and 60 which meant I had to cough up a long iron (4 or 5 depending on course and wind) - not a bad thing really. But I found that I would tend not to use one of the wedges depending on how I felt that particular day. I have subseqeuntly re-configured. Had my PW bent down to 48* and carry a 53 and 58. I have also decided to stick with one club for most of the greenside stuff (depends on shot of course) and that is usually the 58.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Par Sparkplug is on a distinguished road Sparkplug's Avatar

how many wedges.

Many years with 4 wedges PW through to Lob.

Now down to three. got rid of the 52 and 56 for a 54. I can now add wood extra hybrid or put in the three iron but usually carry only 13 clubs. I just choke down on the hybrid to cover off my 3 iron distance.

I can't live without my lob wedge. Pitching, Sand & tight chips that is the go to club.

Keep in mind bounce as well. My 54 has 14 degrees and the Lob has 4 degrees. You can set up for your own course, of course or for preference or swing type or whatever. many theories abound but I do well with how I am set up on many different types of courses.

Funny thing my short game has improved dramatically since I went to three wedges. I have already got 20 or so rounds in this year due to a pre season trip down south and only carried the three. This is where I saw the biggest improvement over last year.

Pelz makes sense and so do many other pros who advocate 4 wedges. I can see why some pros are even using 60deg+ wedges given that greens are getting faster and faster but for me simplicity works.

I play with a 6 and he only carries a PW and SW and has a fantastic short game.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Pretty much 4 wedges (in different combinations) all the time. Usually 47/50/54/60.

I make more adjustments on the front end frankly. Driver/4W/hybrid/4i.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Lob Wedge Shank is on a distinguished road Shank's Avatar
    64/58/55/48

Depends a lot on the courses to be played, but I usuall have at least 3 wedges and sometimes 4 in play.

And I can shank em all

Bouche
    same here....4 wedges is key! 48,54,56,60

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Haven't had a 3 iron in my bag for about 16 years, use a 48,52,55 and 68 degree .

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Where did you get the 68?
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Where did you get the 68?
    ......Dunham sports, Called the last wedge made by pinemeadow. Believe it or not I've seen 74 degree wedges and that's really just bazaar. It takes some practice with it but it will do some things that 60 degree wedges just can't do.

Thread Information