100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar

Talking The zaniest shot you've ever seen/hit

So, out golfing this weekend with my brother. First round of the season and we're both a pair of duffers on our best days. My brother left himself with a long shot over the water for his approach on #13 Vieux Moulins.

He shanks it left into the water, we both know it's a goner... but instead of disappearing in an impressive splash, the ball instead kicks about 30 feet into the air and lands on the front left of the green. Best we can figure he hit a just barely submerged rock. We spent about the next hole or so laughing about it.

Easily the wildest shot I've seen.

A close second was a round I played at Manderley where I hit no less than 5 shots into the trees, only to have it kick out onto the fairway each time.

So, what's the craziest golf shot you've ever been party to?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Made par last year from 30 yards down the cartpath behind #11 at Loch March.

Hit the pin dead on from 120 yards under the trees on #5 south at Meadows. The ball never got more than 6 feet off the ground. Par.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I've posted this one a few times but it is still the strangest I have ever seen. Playing with a few buddies at Emerald links. On #8 par 3 he pulls his shot big time left, it hits the big tree, bounces right onto the green and rolls into the hole for an ace..... gawed the beer was good that day
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    1. OB
    3. huge slice but luckily it was a dog leg right and it landed close enough to the cup to make par

why I was using driver?? trying to cut the corner but instead I pulled it and sliced it
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Years ago I was a member at the local 9 hole muni. On the 8th hole, a short Par 4 there was OB on the right. There was railroad tracks that ran along that side. I hit a slice off the tee one day, it hit a rail car that was used to haul cars and came back in bounds. Easy par from there

Last summer at STG&CC I drove off the first tee. Par 4, 401 yards. Ball took a bad hop off the left side of the fairway and ended up under two big pine trees in the left rough. 145 to the green. Hit a low punch shot with some draw. The ball headed right to the centre of the green. When we got to the green we could only find 3 balls. None were mine. Mine was in the hole for a DUECE! I couldn't do that from the centre of the fairway but from under two pine trees off the pine straw, not a problem
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Angel Cabrera

The craziest/best i ever saw was Angel at the Predident's Cup match against Woody Austin. Angel left his tee shot off to the right into some trees with overhanging branches. He had a narrow sight line to the green but a frontside bunker protected the line. I thoughthe would punch out up the fairway and try to wedge it in close to save par but no, This is what he did. He asked for quiet, only a handful of us spectators were there, the rest were 1 hole ahead watching Weir/Woods. He hit an iron which stayed about 10' above the ground for about 30yds and just below the branches which lined paralel to his line. It rose very slowly but as soon as it cleared the last tree it caught the wind and rose up over the bunker and landed just to the back of the green. It was the greatest shot I had ever seen.

What was really funny was that his caddy had gone ahead after the tee shot to find his ball and was waiting for him and when Angel arrived he asked "Morte?" or is it dead? I said to myself , Uhm, YES, its dead but his caddy shook his head empahatically and said NO. Obviously his caddy has seen similar shots from this man.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    In my first club tournament last year at renfrew, on the 1st hole I hit a good drive, but it was a bit of a hard draw, and wound up just left of the cart path beside the green in some fairly substantial fescue. After I identified my ball, I signalled my fc to pick up my provisional, & I was liking my chance to play a nice pitch with my sand wedge (I was only maybe 20 yards from the pin) on the green. I didn't spend enough time looking at the lie (turns out the ball was suspended a good 2 inches above the ground in the fescue), took my swing, and watched as the ball went straight towards my handsome face! It sailed straight up past the visor of my hat, over my left shoulder, where I caught it flush with the shaft of the wedge on its follow-through, and I fired it about 30 yards into the driving range!
    I made an 8 on the par 4. When we were talking about it afterwards, another buddy was asking me "how did you make an 8 on #1?" I said "I got up & down".
    Andrew

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    In my first club tournament last year at renfrew, on the 1st hole I hit a good drive, but it was a bit of a hard draw, and wound up just left of the cart path beside the green in some fairly substantial fescue. After I identified my ball, I signalled my fc to pick up my provisional, & I was liking my chance to play a nice pitch with my sand wedge (I was only maybe 20 yards from the pin) on the green. I didn't spend enough time looking at the lie (turns out the ball was suspended a good 2 inches above the ground in the fescue), took my swing, and watched as the ball went straight towards my handsome face! It sailed straight up past the visor of my hat, over my left shoulder, where I caught it flush with the shaft of the wedge on its follow-through, and I fired it about 30 yards into the driving range!
    I made an 8 on the par 4. When we were talking about it afterwards, another buddy was asking me "how did you make an 8 on #1?" I said "I got up & down".

Hard draw hunh???? Is that a nice way of telling us you hooked it?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    There was someone in Renfrew still surprised that you made an 8?

I have a lot of stupid shots that I can't recall due to my wild nature off the tee, but I do remember a nice birdie I made on the 6th at Renfrew. I hit my drive onto the upslope of the front of the 5th tee block and rather than take an unplayable to try to have a normal shot at the green, I opened up a 7 or 8 iron and hit a big swooping cut straight up into the stratosphere which ended up about 12 feet away from the hole. Rolled in the little curler to card a routine 3. The number of double bogies I've made from a similar position on that hole kind of dwarfs the lone 3, but who remembers the doubles?
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    I just have to say that Sakuraba's post is the funniest I've ever read. You can even picture his face as the ball flies past it and then he hears the club strike the ball again. Adam Sandler should have put a shot like that into Happy Gilmore.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Hard draw hunh???? Is that a nice way of telling us you hooked it?
    My hook on that hole heads straight for the driving range, doesn't bother messing around in the fescue.
    I think I was playing for a fade
    It was very strange keeping my eye on the ball & watching it rocket right up at me!

Another doozie I had was at the Canadian a few years ago at a big corporate tourney & I hit a drive a little thin, and it wailed right into the little steel diamonds they have as the forward tee markers & it came sailing right back at us & banged right back into the ball pocket of my bag on the back of the cart.
    Not to mention the now infamous hosel shot at Kingsway last year where I nearly decapitated lefty lucas, Johnston, Gropper & Andy4par!
    Last edited by Sakuraba; 04-30-2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: maybe I should get some lessons?
    Andrew

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    I saw a hole in one where the guy hit it into the trees, we heard "crash-bang-tock" and it came shooting out sideways. We thought he just got a members bounce and it went onto the green, but it was in the hole when we got there.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Meadows South will always have some memories of classic shots for me.

The first on #4, the short par 4. This guy hits his ball and then jumps out of the way as his sculled shot ricochets off of the ladies tee marker and flies right back at him.

The second was on #9. It was a front flag and I was sitting 15 feet away waiting to for my eagle putt. The match was tied and the other guy was sitting in the fairway/greenside bunker just short of the green. He thins one of out of the sand and it screams out low and hard, skips once on the green , hits the flag hard and drops in the hole for eagle. I miss my putt and lose the match on the last hole.

It is indeed a cruel game at times!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Speaking of shots straight up in the air, that reminds me of the Evergreen course in Dryden, Ontario... teeing up for a mid length par 3, managed to get right underneath the ball such that it popped straight up at around eye level. With my quick reflexes I caught it before it hit the ground

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Last year at the Ottawagolf fun day at EC, on a par 5 (I think #13)I hit a drive straight down the middle. Second shot has something like 200 yards left.

I picked up my hybrid and hit the ball flush. The only problem was that is was pushed right. There is a large tree short and to the right of the green. The ball hit the tree and ricocheted onto the green leaving me with a long eagle putt. I missed that putt and made a Birdie.

McGoo and Xtour were laughing while Spackler (my FC) was shaking his head while laughing.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Just remembered noback's 3 on the old #11 (now #2 Black). Skanks his driver about 190 off the tee, shanks a 2 iron under the trees on the right near the top of the hill, hits a worm-high 3 iron down the hill from 120, bounce bounce JAR! Birdie.

And then there was Pops' "lay up" on #1 West at Stonebridge a few years back. Standing in the middle of the fairway with a perfect lie. He makes a beautiful swing with a 4 iron, gorgeous follow through. The problem is, he tops the ball and it barely goes 30 yards. We still laugh about that one.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Mtn. Crk #14 is about 135 with a farm down the right.

A) I Skulled my tee-shot right thru the open barn door, only to find the back door was also open. Right under the fence & there I was on the next teebox. Missed the cows too.

B) My first birdie on that hole was a rebound off the roof of that same barn to 20'...

Luv that hole

File these under "He's Stubborn"...

'Tin-Cupped' #7 at Loch March once. Put 4 balls in the pond before getting my 9th shot on the green. 2 putts for a nice tidy 11.

Yanked 4 balls OB off the 18th tee at Falcon Ridge before my 9th stroke hit the fairway. 4 more strokes to find the bottom of the cup. Finished my round with a stellar 13.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Hole #9 at Calabogie late on the fall of 2006 - my wifes second shot rolled down the frozen hill toward the pond. She thought she had lost it but when we approached the green we saw that the ball had somehow rolled onto the half of the pond that was frozen and was blown to the other side by the wind. It rested in a playable lie next to the green.

My zaniest shot was my third shot from the drop zone at Oaks of Cobden #4 (After splashing my tee-shot deep into the pond). Hit my TM Three Wood Rescue to an inch of the hole.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    My zaniest shot was also at view moulins Hole 14 Totally pushed my tee shot into the hazard but hit a rock bounced to the green and stopped no more then a few inches away. Also took me and my FC a few holes to stop laughing about it.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I personally thought that the birdie that you pulled off out of the bush against the boys from Toronto last year was pretty zany. Certainly our opponents didn't expect you to birdie the par three from the deep grass from well left of the green. I still remember the look of dismain and shock on their faces when you dropped that shot. Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    My zaniest shot was also at view moulins Hole 14 Totally pushed my tee shot into the hazard but hit a rock bounced to the green and stopped no more then a few inches away. Also took me and my FC a few holes to stop laughing about it.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Thread Information