CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Who's Got Some Free Time?

After my two recent rounds south of the border, I've come to the realization that somewhere over the winter I developped a major swing flaw. Not sure how that's possible considering I didn't play over the winter.....

But here's the issue:

I have lost 30-40 yds with my driver, and my once nice slight fade has now turned into major slices. Also, I keep hitting high and on the toe with my fwy wds, something I've never done before. These clubs are slicing violently as well.

But here's the kicker, my iron play is fine. Still have the odd mis-hit with it being early in the year, but the wood issue is very concerning.

So my question is for anyone that has a good eye of the swing and a sound knowledge of the swing, would you be interested in joining me at the range to try and help me sort this out. My swing doesn't feel like I'm doing anything different that I have before, but the results are nowhere near as good as they used to be.

I will buy you a bucket of balls, or a beer or two, a sleeve or two of some nice balls. PM and we can talk.

I'd pay for a lesson, but I really don't have the time and cash to do that.

Hoping someone can help me, thanks.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    I can't help you with your swing, well I actually consider myself a decent teacher but I'd rather not in case I make your swing worse, but I have the same problem as you're describing. I rarely slice or pull my irons anymore, but I always lack consistency with the driver! Pull, slice, no distance, pop up. I'm actually going to take a set of four lessons focussing mainly on this. Let me know if you find out about some magical fix.

Quote Originally Posted by jsttaylor View Post
    I can't help you with your swing, well I actually consider myself a decent teacher but I'd rather not in case I make your swing worse, but I have the same problem as you're describing. I rarely slice or pull my irons anymore, but I always lack consistency with the driver! Pull, slice, no distance, pop up. I'm actually going to take a set of four lessons focussing mainly on this. Let me know if you find out about some magical fix.

Well I don't expect a magical fix, but I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong. I don't think I've ever been the shortest hitter in a group, but for all three rounds so far this year I've been at least 20 yds behind everyone I've played with. And sometimes 50 behind guys I'm usually 10-20 ahead of. Frustrating to say the least.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    See a CPGA pro. A lesson will cost a hair more than 2 buckets of balls (for you and your helper) and a few beer and you will get professional analysis instead of a well meaning amateur. Most pros will address a specific issue if you go in with that goal. Is there a pro at your club?
    Last edited by Kilroy; 04-28-2008 at 09:47 AM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    See a CPGA pro. A lesson will cost a hair more than 2 buckets of balls (for you and your helper) and a few beer and you will get professional analysis instead of a well meaning amateur. Most pros will address a specific issue if you go in with that goal. Is there a pro at your club?

Not that I'm aware of. I'd like to see Joe again, but I'm sure where he's at and if he can even do evenings.

If you are referring to Joe Dubinski I think he's at Kanata.

Maybe I'll look him up.

BigFlopper

Joe the Pro

Yeah, he's at Kanata, 592-1631. I was there yesterday. He's the teaching pro there now.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Geoff---your a year older and have more to think about---your thinking too much
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Joe is at Kanata and is available Sat.10am-5pm, Sun. 7am-1pm, Mon.2pm-7pm and Tues. 2pm-7pm
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. Michael View Post
    Joe is at Kanata and is available Sat.10am-5pm, Sun. 7am-1pm, Mon.2pm-7pm and Tues. 2pm-7pm

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    i was having the same problem Geoff, my irons were solid, but my driver was slicing violently as well which i never did. Sane as you i would hit a sweet fade, i closed my left foot for a more closed stance setting up for a draw. Before i would open up my left foot and wanted to induce the fade. I now hit the same trajectory as last year with the same result with a slighter more closed stance.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Note to self: I do not want Geoff as my partner in Belleville. Just kidding!!
    I'm sure it's something simple Geoff. Take the CPGA route and you'll have it fixed in no time.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Note to self: I do not want Geoff as my partner in Belleville. Just kidding!!
    I'm sure it's something simple Geoff. Take the CPGA route and you'll have it fixed in no time.

The most frustrating this was watching all these guys tee off before us who had terrible set ups and what looked like improper weight distribution and shifting, yet they would all hit long, high draws. Whereas, I was doing everything I thought was right (as tought to me by Joe) and I couldn't get a ball further than 240-250 and nowhere near straight.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    The most frustrating this was watching all these guys tee off before us who had terrible set ups and what looked like improper weight distribution and shifting, yet they would all hit long, high draws. Whereas, I was doing everything I thought was right (as tought to me by Joe) and I couldn't get a ball further than 240-250 and nowhere near straight.
    Dude, get it looked at and stop stressing over it. It's probably something so simple that it will take a pro 5 minutes to fix. Stuff happens man. Don't sweat it.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    My tried and true method for hitting it further.... Swing harder. Not a good tactic to utilize when suffering from massive slices off the tee though.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    yeh joe is focusing solely on lessons now but has a young family so hes only at the course sat-tuesday as someone stated

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    My tried and true method for hitting it further.... Swing harder. Not a good tactic to utilize when suffering from massive slices off the tee though.

Sort of thought this way. Was thinking perhaps I wasn't following through, so tried swinging a bit harder, didn't work.

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    I'm going to see Joe for a lesson (the first of many) on Saturday. Want me to see if I can set something up for you?

I was lucky enough to catch him today, as he is out in the rain playing right now.

Sometimes it seems nobody can get out on a golf course without this forum knowing about it

Sometimes it seems nobody can get out on a golf course without this forum knowing about it
    Ain't that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Section Thirty One View Post
    I'm going to see Joe for a lesson (the first of many) on Saturday. Want me to see if I can set something up for you?

I was lucky enough to catch him today, as he is out in the rain playing right now.

It would be appreciated. See what you can find out, thanks.

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    It would be appreciated. See what you can find out, thanks.
    Not a problem at all Geoff. Hopefully he can do for my game what he did for yours.

I'll get you a fee schedule and his hours of availability. From the conversation we had on the phone, it appears that the post above with the days/hours is more or less accurate.

Not a problem at all Geoff. Hopefully he can do for my game what he did for yours.

I'll get you a fee schedule and his hours of availability. From the conversation we had on the phone, it appears that the post above with the days/hours is more or less accurate.

Anything you can find out would be great. Thanks. He might not remember me, but just tell him I'm Jamie's friend, that should jog his memory.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    As others have said get a pro to look at you. But the ball flight does not lie - slice means the club face is open to the path the club head is on when it contacts the ball. Start with that and work backwards from there. Hitting off the toe smells like one of two extremes - blocking (body out racing the arms) or not shifting weight to the lead side properly. I will see these things happen in the spring with the driver until I get back in sync.

BTW, are you hitting any occasional duck hooks?
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by byerxa View Post
    As others have said get a pro to look at you. But the ball flight does not lie - slice means the club face is open to the path the club head is on when it contacts the ball. Start with that and work backwards from there. Hitting off the toe smells like one of two extremes - blocking (body out racing the arms) or not shifting weight to the lead side properly. I will see these things happen in the spring with the driver until I get back in sync.

BTW, are you hitting any occasional duck hooks?

I haven't hit a hook with a driver of fwy wd in about 3 years, seriously. Not even the odd, out of the blue hook. Nada!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    After my two recent rounds south of the border, I've come to the realization that somewhere over the winter I developped a major swing flaw. Not sure how that's possible considering I didn't play over the winter.....
    I believe that comes from not playing over the winter...

You're probably just a little rusty, and so you've naturally reverted to a swing that feels normal and right - and we all know that a proper golf swing is nothing like that!!

By now you've totally forgotten most of what your golf pro told you (it WAS a year ago, after all), so you need to see him again. Typically, he will shake his head and point out that you're still doing a lot of the same stuff you were doing the last time you went to see him ("weren't you paying attention, Geoff??").

He'll very patiently explain some tips and drills to work on (which will all sound strangely familiar to you), and you'll go to the range and practice them. Your swing will gradually improve until your golf swing is as good as its ever been - if not better. Then the golf season ends...

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I believe that comes from not playing over the winter...

You're probably just a little rusty, and so you've naturally reverted to a swing that feels normal and right - and we all know that a proper golf swing is nothing like that!!

By now you've totally forgotten most of what your golf pro told you (it WAS a year ago, after all), so you need to see him again. Typically, he will shake his head and point out that you're still doing a lot of the same stuff you were doing the last time you went to see him ("weren't you paying attention, Geoff??").

He'll very patiently explain some tips and drills to work on (which will all sound strangely familiar to you), and you'll go to the range and practice them. Your swing will gradually improve until your golf swing is as good as its ever been - if not better. Then the golf season ends...

You may be right, but I am concerned because this has never happened to me before to start a season. It usually takes a range session or two (already done), and a round and a half or so (already done as well) and I'm back to normal. I usually start the season about 10 yds or so shorter until the swing really gets grooved, but not missing 30-40 yds.

Highs and lows. We all have cycles. You may even have some distractions this year.
    See Joe and get your swing back on track. Good luck.

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road

Did you go out in that rain today section:O

Thread Information