100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

A question for any mechanics out there

K, so I took my car in for an oil change, fuel top up, and inspection today, ahead of my drive back to Ottawa. As expected, there were a few things to fix, but most were minor and I don't have the cash to be getting unnecessary repairs.

The fuel filter and spark plugs are going, so I will likely get those replaced. The other thing I need some advice on is the thermostat. I'm driving a 94 Grand Am, and apparently the thermostat is stuck open. My temp gauge is constantly reading fairly low, and I'm told that this is causing the car to work harder to get the heat up, causing bad fuel efficiency. Is this something I should pay the money to get fixed, or is it a minor thing? More importantly, does this mean that if my engine is getting too hot I won't know it? Thanks, any advice appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Car novice

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    More importantly, does this mean that if my engine is getting too hot I won't know it? Thanks, any advice appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Car novice
    I am no car mechanic but if the temperature gauge is fairly low your car is not overheating. It is just the opposite. If you lived here in the winter you'd freeze your derriere off. Get an estimate on a thermostat change. In old cars I believe it is a pretty simple procedure and does not amount to big bucks.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Can't see it to be a big expense... Just ask around or better do it yourself.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Covenent is a mechanic and could answer this question, though I don't see him posting here anymore.

You're driving from Victoria to Ottawa. If I was in your position, I would replace the thermostat. You'll have to do it eventually anyway, and putting it off is not a decision I want to regret when I'm stuck in the middle of Saskatchewan (which has just been hit with a big snowstorm).

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    When a thermostat is stuck open, the car does work harder and that is not good for the engine. The reason it is stuck open is because of dirt and grime in the system. If you have grime and dirt in the system, it could just as easily get stuck closed too and that would be baaaaaaaad.

Depending on where your stat is located, replacing it is not a big deal. It is a bit messy, since coolant will spill, but it is easy to do. And thermostats are not that expensive.

I would change it. At the very list I would buy a stat and some coolant and throw it in the trunk in case I got stuck in the middle of the road and had to do it myself.

Thanks for the advice. I had been leaning towards getting it replaced, as I've had a few friends have trouble with the cooling system on older cars during long distance drives. But it's always good to get confirmation from people who know what they're talking about.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hey Jonf--I agree with Rez---it should not be a big deal---you really don't need a dealership to do the job---it's fairly straight forward. If the thermostat stays open --no big deal---but if it sticks closed and your engine has aluminum heads your in for major problems. Change it--and relax--it's a long way home
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    As an ex mechanic i recommend you get this done pronto.

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Getting the thermostat change is a must if you are planning on driving that distance. It is not a big job and should not be very expensive, on some cars it would be no more expensive than the oil change. What motor is in your grand am, I believe it would be a 2.8, 3.1 or maybe 3.8. If it is the 3.1 as I had in one of my grand prix's then it is a very easy 2 minute job, right on top of the engine and you don't lose any antifreeze at all. If the thermostat were to stick shut you could very well overheat your engine and warp the cylinder heads or worse. With it being stuck open you won't get very good heat in the car if needed during that long drive. Save yourself alot of grieve and get it repaired!
    Never dreamt I would ever get so hooked on this game!!

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Sorry i didnt see this sooner.Im hoping you had it fixed before driving back?If not the fuel expense would have cost you way more than the t-stat replacement
    A stuck closed stat will prevent the engine from reaching operating temp.Causing more fuel to be injected(rich running)And yes..it can reverse itself and stick closed which would overheat the engine.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Made it back fine, and the car ran like a dream. I was getting double the mileage to a tank of gas after getting the thermostat replaced (a combination of highway driving and the repair). Over 5500 kms, I definitely got my money's worth and then some from the repair.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Hey, happy you made it back with no probs...

Did you have a chance to golf anywhere?
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Thread Information