100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

Smile golf resuming....

Without diminishing the tragedy of the WTC, because it was significant, and far bigger than the distraction of the endless stream of games and sports...

I'd like to say that I'm rather happy that golf is resuming this weekend. At the same time, I realize that there are going to be a great number of golfers that are distracted by the enormity of the event, and that their calibre of play may be affected.

At the same time, I think it speaks volumes for the free world, that we don't let terrorism affect us in the way that the perpetrators intend, and that we emerge with the same resolve we began with, and continue in our way of life in contrast to the effect that the terrorists intended.

spidey

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

Angry Winner of 2001 Ryder Cup - Afganistan

As far as I'm concerned postponing the Ryder Cup for a year is a major victory for terrorists everywhere.

I'm saddened by this as a golf fan but more so as a human being. By cancelling this year's Ryder Cup we are increasing and prolonging the impact that these s.o.b.'s have on our lives.

The Ryder Cup could have been a major rallying point for Americans and others and could have helped so many people begin to move on with their lives and start to heal. Instead the record books of golf history will forever be stained by this horrific event.

4jag

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    This event is likely to affect almost everything we do. This was not just any old style terrorist attack. This was pure evil, at a whole new level. The bar has been raised, and I am just afraid of how they will try to top it. Nothing will remain as it was for long. The world has never seen such concentrated evil. Twice as many dead as at Pearl Harbour!

While the Rider Cup's bi-annual schedule is a strong tradition, I for one would not want to be seen as aligning against the US in any way at the moment, even in sport. I am sure Olympics would have been rescheduled as well in a case like this.

I have opened a "Not Golf" forum, if you wish to discuss other aspects of this NYC incident and other issues not related to golf.

Thread Information