CorporateGolfXtra 2024
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Putter Tomk is on a distinguished road

renfrew golf club

Played renfrew on Sunday the 27th of April. The course was in good shape but the greens were very slow and in need of cutting.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomk View Post
    Played renfrew on Sunday the 27th of April. The course was in good shape but the greens were very slow and in need of cutting.
    Thanks for that, I was just about to ask in Anticipation of my Saturday game. I'm sure they will cut the greens by then.

Bouche
    Looking for a good course early in the season?? Casselview is the place to go. I would say their greens a rolling at a 10 right now. Mint shape. A must play!

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Metcalfe Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy963 View Post
    Played Metcalfe today and it was in good shape. The 2nd hole still has a temporary green (new one isn't ready yet), but other than that they were in pretty good shape.

The course was also dry, which it usually isn't in the spring. Definitely their best spring since I've been a member there (6 years).
    I am a fan of Metcalfe but heard early that they would have three temps until June so decided not to bother until then. As I recall #2 (as you said), #4 (new green) and #6 (re-done green) were to be out of service for a while. Did you play the new greens on the last two? How were they? #4 was looking good last fall and #6 needed new subsoil due to a clay/drainage problem (or so I was told). How long until #2 is open for use?

3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar
    #2 is the only temp green. The new one is supposed to open is a couple weeks. It looks good so far, but I haven't been up close yet to give it a good look.

#4 is still playing to the old green until June when the new one will open. The funny thing about this is that #4 was always one of the worst greens in the spring, but since they've started the replacement green it's actually been in pretty good shape, almost as if it knows it's getting replaced!

#6 was open at the beginning of the season. It's not great yet but hopefully there are no problems this time. When they re-did it in fall 06 they got some bad soil which led to having to redo it again last fall.

Some of the greens have a few spots that were hit with snow mold, but overall they are in good shape. #16 & 18 which were new greens last year are actually the best so far this year.

I would wait a couple weeks though if you've waited this long. By then there will be no temporary greens and they should all be rolling great.

Thanks Paddy. Glad to see #16 & 18 are coming along. Knew they would be good but thought that they may have rushed them a little. Found them hard and a little thin. May see you out there some Monday morning.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Underated

Played Madawaska for the first time yesterday---all I had ever heard was "not good". If you want a good test on how to keep your ball on the fairway--then this is the place to go---just wait until the trees are in full leaf Greens a little slow and the rough could be a little shorter but it's still early---real friendly folks---but what else can you expect up the valley Will definitly go back Oh--and the membership is priced right.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Putter Golf Drunk is on a distinguished road

Stonebridge Fairways - Poor Condition

Played Stonebridge on Fri and very dissappointed with the fairways on the back nine. It looks like a tractor was used that couldn't handle the slopes and left the fairways in a mess. I would hold off playing the course until this is repaired. Discounted green fees of $50 were appreciated and staff very friendly as usual.

I still don't understand why #13 is not a par 3? It's quite possiblely the stupidest par 4 in Ottawa and doesn't belong on such a great course.

Bouche
    Played Arnprior Saturday (My most hated course because I cant shoot 70's on it) and it was in great condition. The fairways looked nice from the woods and the greens were fairly slow but rolling true. Played Hammond on Sunday and played much better (4 birds). This is only the second time I have played that course and it has much improved. Fairways are lush and the greens are in great shape. Tough course in the wind and its very close to golfers living in the east. Not sure on the prices because I was playing in the slammer tour.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Played Cedarhill yesterday. Very nice track. Conditions were very good considering it just opened a couple days ago. Greens were slower but rolled nicely. This course is underated I think. Its fairly long from the blues and plays tougher than you think. Going back soon.
    "Get your smile on!"

7 Wood Newbie is on a distinguished road

Outaouais COnditions

As usual the Outaouais is in terrific condition! Man these guys know what they are doing... Fairways lush and greens are in top notch shape already.

1 Iron Bidou is on a distinguished road Bidou's Avatar
    Played Anderson Links on Friday, it was terrific.

2 fairway sections (4 & 15 I think) were a little iffy but other than that it was great.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Anyone play Vieux Moulins lately? Thinking of playing tomorrow and wondering if it's in decent shape....

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Played Les Vieux a week ago and the greens were still bumpy and slow, maybe they have been cut since then. The greens were harder than in past years.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

3 Iron Gray1512 is on a distinguished road
    Played it on Monday. The fairways were a bit patchy, but other than one or two patches the greens were in good shape. I think they had been cut recently.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Anyone play Vieux Moulins lately? Thinking of playing tomorrow and wondering if it's in decent shape....

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I also played it last week, the greens weren't lightning but I'd played slower this year. For LVM it was in good condition.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Played it this morning. Like everyone above said, the fairways are a bit patchy, greens are ok. Not great, but ok. Tee boxes are not good, but I don't think they ever are there.

Played Bearbrook this morning---had a decent round--its a damm shame that they don't do more to keep that place up---it has a lot of potential. If they would put up proper distance markers--pull the weeds out of the traps etc etc it would help a lot. They are doing work there but it's really slow----the greens do need to be cut and the rough is a little long. There are some bare spots but it's not going to kill the round. I really wish I had the money For 12.00 a round I am not going to complain---have you checked your gas tank lately?

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Snuck off to Manderly at 5pm to try out my new contact lenses. Conditions seem to have improved from the 'terrible' rating that was given to it before. Tee boxes a bit patchy, but plenty playable. The fairways and greens are looking good. Greens aren't super-fast yet, but they're getting there. Greens and fairways were well trimmed considering a late day round, and the sand had been freshly groomed as well.

On the down side, the trees are really, really dense.

Bouche
    Played Camelot the other day and as per usual it is in awesome condition. Greens are fast and Fairways are next to perfect. Should be another great year at the lot and with there staff change the service is unbelievable!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Played Kingsway yesterday and was very disappointed in the front nine greens. I am not sure what happened but it looks like someone drove a small tractor on several greens when there was frost on them because you can see the tires lines burned into the green. Very bumpy and patchy, the back nine was not as bad. One encouraging thing, they had dug a 6 ft wide trench running from the 13th hole right to between the first and tenth holes. I assume this is to add badly needed drainage on the back which is always soaked after every winter and rainfall.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

3 Iron Gray1512 is on a distinguished road
    Played Chateau Cartier this morning. Excellent condition. First man out, round in 2hrs 40mins - you gotta love it.

Metcalfe today--great condition--even in the rain

Metcalfe

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Metcalfe today--great condition--even in the rain
    Thanks for the report BM. Booked for Monday so hope the weather holds off. How do the new greens on #2, #4 and #6 look? Got an e-mail from Metcalfe a week ago saying that their last temp, #2 was gone and the course was all regular greens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Thanks for the report BM. Booked for Monday so hope the weather holds off. How do the new greens on #2, #4 and #6 look? Got an e-mail from Metcalfe a week ago saying that their last temp, #2 was gone and the course was all regular greens.
    Hi Bruce--as yesterday was the first time in two years years to Metcalfe I was having a little trouble orienting myself--- The fairways on the new 9 being much better --filled in and thicker--a joy to walk. My only comment for the day was on the raised green (par 5) near the power line---it seemed a little patchy etc but as I recall I have never seen it in great shape.

Overall the course was really enjoyable and everyone we spoke to seemed to say the same thing---from where you and I live it's a great choice---no traffic hassel

There is one hole that I wonder about--(threw my card away)---you can't see the green---small apple trees all around left side and water ?? Very decieving hole

5 Iron Rick is on a distinguished road

Nation

Anyone played there recently? going out tomorrow.

3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Hi Bruce--as yesterday was the first time in two years years to Metcalfe I was having a little trouble orienting myself--- The fairways on the new 9 being much better --filled in and thicker--a joy to walk. My only comment for the day was on the raised green (par 5) near the power line---it seemed a little patchy etc but as I recall I have never seen it in great shape.

Overall the course was really enjoyable and everyone we spoke to seemed to say the same thing---from where you and I live it's a great choice---no traffic hassel

There is one hole that I wonder about--(threw my card away)---you can't see the green---small apple trees all around left side and water ?? Very decieving hole
    The par 5 with the green near the power lines is #6. It has been a problem for a few years now. Seems no matter what they do it never seems to be in great shape, but they are trying at least.

#2 new green opened on the 15th and I've played it a few times now. It's still a little slow but looks like it's coming along nicely.

#4 new green should be opening in the next two weeks. Last newsletter said beginning of June. Should be interesting with the big tree guarding the right side of the green. Won't be able to spray it out to the right and still go for the pin.

As for the hole with the small apple trees and water, I guess you're talking about 12? It can be deceiving, everyone thinks it will be easy because it's short but I've seen some good players make high numbers there. It's especially tough when the pin in on the back of the green where you can't see it off the tee. Your best bet it to look across the pond behind you when you tee off on 9, this way you know where the pin is on 12.

Metcalfe #12. UR right Paddy that is definately a "target" golf hole. When I first started playing there I had trouble getting to the cart path. Now that I can hit it a little longer you still cannot "grip & rip. Keep it in the middle and then if you have good control with your irons drop it on over the apple trees. If you can keep it right then you can bump and run. I'd say one of the harder greens on the course because of all the pin options, none of which usually favour the golfer. Would be interesting to see what the stroke average is on that hole.

^^^^^^^^Yep that's the one---screwed my whole game

3 Iron Simonlap is on a distinguished road Simonlap's Avatar
    Hey all,

Today at 4:30 decided to go play golf, Bearbrook being 5 minutes away, I went there. I have to say that I am VERY impressed with the work that has been done there. I've played it many times in the past years and today the course was in its best ever shape. The "sand" traps would definately need some extensive work before they would deserve being called sand traps and the fairways are a little patchy but like I said the course is definately in great shape (compared to previous years). Perhaps it has to do with the fact that it's for sale and they are trying to show the potential the course has... But in any case for the first time of my life I felt like playing at bearbrook I was playing on a golf course and not in a farmer's field.

Thread Information