100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Finally the pics

OK, so we dropped by to see if Elvis wanted to play, could not wake him so we headed out for Tombstone--The OK Corral is at the end of the street on the right---the only problem was--the gun fight was on the next street over--not in the corral. Anyway into the car and on to the Great Saguara Forest in Tucson. Man, some of these suckers are huge---can't believe I drove 3900 miles and this was the first thing I wanted to see It's quite a site when you see nothing but cactus after cactus. From here drove up and through Phoenix and stayed in Camp Verde for a couple of days and did some sightseeing trips around the immediate area---first stop was in Jerome--a revitalized mining and ghost town. About 25 years ago the copper mine was not making a huge amount of money so the town literly became a ghost town---the hippis from Phoenix and Nevada moved in and bought complete buildings for 200.00. They set up artists shops-restaurants etc and ended up with a tourist attraction. Now guess what---with the price of copper rising the powers that be are re-opening the mine and guess who is sitting on "gold" mine Should have grown my hair and moved to Jerome. More to come
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

more

Ok--so on to Sedona--this is what greeted us as we drove in, this is called Bell Rock--about 1000 feet high--we climbed about halfway up and called uncle. We were at about 5000 ft above sea level and I could not believe the effect it had on my breathing. The next shot is what we woke up to each morning. It seemed that every time we turned around there was another picture to take---just an unbelievable site.

Well we finally got to the golf course---how do you concentrate while playing with sites like this? This next pic if at Stoneridge near Prescott---needless to say if you miss the fairway---get another ball----apparently it is rated as one of the hardest 10 in Arizona---I had my best game on it--and no I didn't play from the tips---that would have been 7000 yds. We then went back to Phoenix and the TPC---this is the wall of fame---everyone's name is here. The grass was so lush you could smell it growing. More to come

more

You have all heard the song "Home on the range where the Antelope play" well our next game was at Antelope Hills Well this picture explains why it's called what it is. We did some more touring and golfing--of course the Grand Canyon---there is no way any picture can do it justice---imagine that the river you see in the picture is 5500 feet below you From here we moved into the painted desert--again pic don't do it justice and also visited some of the ancient Hopi Indian ruins. From here---"I forget what day it is by now" we are off to Vegas as Diane has tickets to see Tom Jones--I know I know already!!!

Apparently the show was OK---I lost 20.00 but had the experience---can honestly say "been there-done that" Next

last

Then on to Arches Nat'l Park---this is where a lot of the old westerns where shot an most recently Code Talkers. This first pic is the butte where the final scene of the movie was shot. Again this is an area that no matter how many pic you take --you have to be there. From here we headed north-east to Denver and then on to Colorado Springs and the Royal Gorge for a couple of days before heading home. 15,000 kms and 1000.00 in gas---one hell of a trip and we wouldn't have missed it for the world--still sorting pics but I think you get the picture

PS--this last pic is what I left before leaving----now they know we are from the north!

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Wow big mac, sounds like an awesome trip!! What wonderful pics, thank you for sharing them. I have never seen any of those sites before. I thought the grand canyon was full of water!!! And tell Diane I am very envious..........Tom Jones, I have liked him since I was a kid........which is a long time!!!!
    Never dreamt I would ever get so hooked on this game!!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I know you have tons more of pictures, but thanks for sharing these with us. As well I'm sure the vastness and beauty of the landscape cannot be totally captured in a picture. At some points it must have been breath taking. Thanks
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Looks like an amazing trip bigmac. The scenery is spectacular. Must have been awesome golfing there! Give my best to Diane I hope she comes out to a forum day.

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Hey bm if you have any pics of the road runners could you please post them here, I have never seen one!!! Thanks
    Never dreamt I would ever get so hooked on this game!!

Just for you Kerri

These buggers were hard to find---this is the best I was able to get---ask Diane about the other one --it's a long story but she will be more than happy to recite it for you---and anybody else that wants to listen

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Great pictures, the landscape looks unreal. Must have been a great trip.

Thanks for the comments folks---was a great trip--you just don't realize how big this continent is or how awesome the sights are---makes you feel good to live here--north or south of the border.

Thread Information