100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge Bnesco is on a distinguished road

Worst Masters Ever

Is the cold weather and the snow making me think I just wasted 4 hours watching the worst Masters in recent memory or was it really that bad???

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I would have to agree that it lacked that tension filled back 9. I would agree that it's nice when anyone other than the usuals win, but it's better when there is a good chase on the back nine. Definitely not one of my favourites.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I agree with ya. That was an incredibly boring afternoon of golf to watch.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    That's funny, I kind of enjoyed watching Tiger get more an more frustrated...

There were some bad shots, some good shots and I would never find the Masters boring.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The winner shoots a 75 and still wins by three? I'm happy for Immelman, but that was a terrible afternoon of golf. I think they made some grave mistakes when they lengthened and tightened the course, it's just not an exciting tournament anymore.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    It was so exciting that I had to go clean the kitchen for fear of wetting myself.

As much as some people get sick of "Tiger Mania", you have to admit that had some of those putts gone in, and he started creepin' up on Immelman on the leaderboard, we could had a much more exciting finish. He seemed to be the only one in the field capable of giving it a run today and the engine just wouldn't fire for him.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road

7 Wood Itchy is on a distinguished road Itchy's Avatar
    A bad Masters is better than any other non major IMHO. I enjoyed it, honestly don't get to see these players play in a testing wind very often (at least in the US) and being from the prairies, I am always amazed how poorly they handled it.

Anyways, I love the Masters, I have watched everyone since 1979 faithfully, so to me there is never a "bad Masters".
    I golf therfore I swear

Baxter
    I enjoyed it..Perhaps hoping Tiger could make the Charge allowed me to enjoy it more than other...After it was out of reach it was also nice watching a guy trying to hang on...When he it in the water on 16 I thought he was in a lot of trouble..He did a good job holding it together after that tee shot..
    Didn't bother me that he won...I wished it was Tiger but he just could not get it going... O'well maybe next year for the Slam..

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    1st time i can remember where i turned it off b4 it was done.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    the most exciting part was when TI put it in the water... made me think for a second but then I came to my senses
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Oh well--there's always next year. Got a little bit excited---lasted all of 2 minutes

Our courses had better open soon--getting bored---again!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    If Tiger had pulled the rabit out of his hat and fought back it could have easily been one of the best Masters....Oh well The Players is next...that's always a good tourney.

Putter gwgm is on a distinguished road
    I know what you mean. I was all set to be glued to the couch... but when Tiger couldn't make a putt and no one else made a move (positive) either, I headed out to fertilize the lawn. Immelman and Snedeker were great stories, but there was no drama. Sure made all that 'Grand Slam' talk look silly.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    I was thoroughly entertained today. Then again, this is my absolute most favourite tournament of the entire year. I found that watching Immelman do everything to keep it together on the back until 16, and then do anything he could to not keep dropping the ball.

I wasn't impressed with the lack of shot making that was taking place during this Masters, I found it very lack luster that way.

Fallys
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    There is no such thing as a bad Masters tournament.

It is the biggest golf tournament of the season on one of the toughest golf courses in the world. Immelman and Snedeker were tied early in the final round, and one guy held it together while everyone else either folded under the pressure or didn't have the game to make up for their mistakes in the previous rounds. The win for Immelman was well-deserved.

The Masters lasts four days, and sometimes the drama does not occur on the back nine on Sunday. Immelman's approach to the 15th green yesterday that spun off the green but held up on the bank instead of going in the water was the shot that defined this tournament. When I saw him calmly walk up to the green, go through his normal pre-shot routine like it was a just a normal shot, and then a hit a delicate little chip to save his par - I knew then that he was going to win. That is the kind of mental toughness that it takes to win a tournament of this magnitude.

Congratulations to Trevor Immelman on his first green jacket. He put on a fine display of shot-making under difficult conditions, and I enjoyed watching it.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I have never seen so many putts missed from 6 to 10 feet (and some shorter). I almost expected the players to miss them...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The excitement that had become associated with the traditional back-nine charge at the Masters is a thing of the past. No more will we witness someone shooting a 30 coming in the win the Masters with a 65, as Jack did for his sixth green jacket in 1986. The present executive have so changed the course that this is no longer a possibility. This was evident last year, and this year's event simply confirmed it. Call me a traditionalist, but I preferred the old Masters to this boring version. In fact, I only saw the highlights and an occasional up-date because of my daughter's wedding, and I don't feel I missed anything. Shame on the course elders.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Having said many times before the Trevor Immelman has the best swing on Tour, I enjoyed watching him play, had some doubts that he would be able to hold on but was extremely happy for him when he did. His bonehead shots to 16 and 17 were typical of someone becoming aware of the pressure, but the sign of a champion is being able to control his emotions when he had to.

The irony to me is that the scholars at Augusta "Tigerproofed" the course, and were quite successful. The last two winners, Johnson and Immeleman, are both superior shot makers, which Tiger is not, and it was a "fairways and greens" game that has won both years. There may be a lesson in that for we mortals.

With the course playing so difficult, the affect of the additional pressure on Snedeker, Flesch, and Casey, caused their house of cards to crumble. The greens at Augusta are stupid, where the element of luck is way out of proportion and they obviously took their toll on Tiger, the best putter out there, as well.

So while this years Masters lacked the superficial excitement of those of years gone by, there is nothing like seeing someone win their first major by playing controlled golf, appreciating the experience and especially those who helped get him there. I only fell asleep once.

Gap Wedge rowsie is on a distinguished road
    Immelman didnt win the tourney in my mind,, everyone behind him just lost it and gave it to him.. one of the worst masters ive seen in awhile.. not entertaining what so ever,, i was watching it just to see when and where immelman would screw up.. thast how crappy it was ,, IMO,,,

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    No more will we witness someone shooting a 30 coming in the win the Masters with a 65, as Jack did for his sixth green jacket in 1986. The present executive have so changed the course that this is no longer a possibility. This was evident last year, and this year's event simply confirmed it.
    In my opinion, what was evident during last year's and this year's final rounds was very difficult scoring conditions that were largely due to the weather.

Will somebody shoot 30 on the back nine and 65 for the round to win? I'm not sure... Then again, how long has it been since it was done last? And how long before 86 was it done previously?

Let me put it this way... Augusta National has played at 7445 yards for the last 3 years. In 2006, Jose Maria Olazabal (not a long hitter) shot a 66 in the final round to finish T3. I certainly wouldn't say it's impossible for that 65 to happen.

Would you rather see Tiger / J.B. Holmes / Bubba Watson hitting Driver / Sand Wedge to #15? Personally, I'd rather see them hitting long irons and woods into par 5s. Risk / Reward... it's what it's all about in my opinion.

Ace Felix is on a distinguished road Felix's Avatar

Boring

From the start it was boring, no great shots other then Poulters hole out. I agree the course is a little to tough and not made for us people who love to see shot after shot after shot come so close IMHO

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    In my opinion, what was evident during last year's and this year's final rounds was very difficult scoring conditions that were largely due to the weather.

Will somebody shoot 30 on the back nine and 65 for the round to win? I'm not sure... Then again, how long has it been since it was done last? And how long before 86 was it done previously?

Let me put it this way... Augusta National has played at 7445 yards for the last 3 years. In 2006, Jose Maria Olazabal (not a long hitter) shot a 66 in the final round to finish T3. I certainly wouldn't say it's impossible for that 65 to happen.

Would you rather see Tiger / J.B. Holmes / Bubba Watson hitting Driver / Sand Wedge to #15? Personally, I'd rather see them hitting long irons and woods into par 5s. Risk / Reward... it's what it's all about in my opinion.
    You are so right. 15 is a much better hole now than it was when the big hitters were hitting driver sw in there. There are plenty of birdies and bogies made on that hole.

As far as not seeing the late charge... Phil birdied 4 out of his last 6 to win. The same year Ernie made two eagles on the back, and there were also a couple hole-in-ones. Obviously the wind had a huge impact on the ability to score.

I also find it hard to believe that someone didn't think Immelman deserved to win... the guy shot 68-68-69 on a very difficult course. He earned the cushion he had. He may have given some shots away but he made enough of them to win. He made a huge putt on 11, great birdie on 15 and a good sand save on 17.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I thought it was a good watch, would have been better if the three leaders did two strokes better, and not at the same time.

Thread Information