100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moderator

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road

I am getting continuous pop-ups and links to unrelated sites that are difficult to close upon opening the pictures in this thread.

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=34058

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    Image Shack is a free image hosting site that is very popular. They make $$ off of popup ads etc.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

So why is this tolerated on this site, when viruses have the same initial identity? Fortunately for us, as a moderator you are also a techie, Please, assure me that I am not exposed by such (in this case persistent) pop-ups. I am not just concerned with the irritation of pop-ups, but the technical integrity of the site.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo View Post
    So why is this tolerated on this site, when viruses have the same initial identity? Fortunately for us, as a moderator you are also a techie, Please, assure me that I am not exposed by such (in this case persistent) pop-ups. I am not just concerned with the irritation of pop-ups, but the technical integrity of the site.
    Terry, when you follow the link, you are no longer on this site and they have no control over popups.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    You can always move your mouse over the link without clicking it and check the address on the bottom of your browser to see if it's a site you want to go to.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    You can always move your mouse over the link without clicking it and check the address on the bottom of your browser to see if it's a site you want to go to.
    Thats what I do.... I also have popups blocked
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    I'm usually at my friends hosues so I click on pretty much any link that I'm sent
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Indio & speckler, thanks for your responses and your empathy your advice is "always wear a condum" (especially even if you are poor) . My problem is that this site should not be "cavet emporer". I should not have to worry about clicking on a link. Can I be sure from this site, that, I enjoy so much, links I open from it will not corrupt my computer.

sillywiily, go away

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    sillywiily, go away
    Nah, I don't think i will...

"Can I be sure from this site, that, I enjoy so much, links I open from it will not corrupt my computer.
    "

Yes, its called virus scanners, pop up blockers, adware and spyware removers. Tons of this stuff is free on the net. I don't know any good ones but I'm sure someone would be more than happy to provide you with some links
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Indio & speckler, thanks for your responses and your empathy your advice is "always wear a condum" (especially even if you are poor) . My problem is that this site should not be "cavet emporer". I should not have to worry about clicking on a link. Can I be sure from this site, that, I enjoy so much, links I open from it will not corrupt my computer.
    Dan has created a pretty safe haven here, but it's still a forum where people can post anything they want. The mods get to the bad stuff pretty quickly most of the time, but we users still have to be sensible about what we choose to open (unless we're at a friend's house, lol). That said, the links to Imageshack aren't bad, it's just a file hosting site. Popups are easily controlled by popup blockers that are widely available.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    Yes, its called virus scanners, pop up blockers, adware and spyware removers. Tons of this stuff is free on the net. I don't know any good ones but I'm sure someone would be more than happy to provide you with some links
    Amen...

It's one thing to expect total security from a site where you pay for a service (like your bank). But to expect it from a site which provides so much for free, then you are just being naive. Dan and the Mods are not the internet police, they keep the peace here, so if you want to click on links to external sites then don't come complaining that they aren't doing their job.

I have Firefox and AdBlock plus installed and I when I clicked on the links to the pictures nothing happened for me. Maybe that's me just being pro-active.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

spacler, I use a pop-up blocker and on-line spam & virus protection software that I pay for; but it did not kick-in for the link we are discussing. That is what concerned me. I know this site is not negligent, neighborhood-watch is also necessary.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Terry, when you follow the link, you are no longer on this site and they have no control over popups.
    Ditto...

This site allows members to use links to or upload images to the forum providing they respect site rules; however it's at your own risk. Popups are everywhere these days. To prevent this from happening please use the "block pop up" feature on your web browser.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

hoolio, agreed; should one not report suspicious activity, in our beloved neighborhood when, as in this case there is a culprit?

Chris, I know that you may know more about this subject than that whch you are renouned for "clubmaking"; but your reply does not instill confidence, because of your objection to my reporting an oboviously dangerous link in a new thread.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    Chris, I know that you may know more about this subject than that whch you are renouned for "clubmaking"; but your reply does not instill confidence, because of your objection to my reporting an oboviously dangerous link in a new thread.
    As it has already been stated, moderators are here to help control the content that is presented on this site. That being said it is impossible to guarantee that there will not be objectionable content available for short periods of time (i.e. between posting time & moderator detection), for this reason, as with all things in life, it is recommended that you use your best judgment when choosing to do something or not do something.

As always, it is also encouraged that members of the site report posts that they feel are not confirming to the rules of the site. This helps moderators get to the problem areas faster and keep the site clean.

As for this particular post, we see nothing wrong with the use of imageshack for posting images, and will not remove the image links from the site. If this changes, then the original poster will be notified and the images will be removed, but to date there is nothing that suggests the links are "oboviously dangerous".
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Nat Williams; thanks for the excellent reply

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Funny, nothing happen to me... I just look at the pictures.

McGoo, you shouldn't get a virus from a link unless you start downloading something. If you press on the link a few pop up might show up but no danger for virus... just close the annoying pop up.

Like mention before, install a pop-up blocker or ad-block ... it is easy to get one.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

thanks for the input

I have both.

But they not infallible. when links have spam, like this one are posted ,and get through the site and users defenses, they should be nuked, immediately, period.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Pop up ads are not spam. As stated we have no control over other sites. Links to other sites are allowed. There is nothing we can do to stop it other than disallow links which would be less than helpful.

We will remove links to offensive material. Party Poker ads don't qualify as reason to delete a link.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thread Information