CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I miss Chuck's

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar

I miss Chuck's

I really do. Used to love to visit their stores.
    Plus I've noticed since Chuck Brown's has been gone, used clubs are not worth what they used to be. Once upon a time, if you could not sell your old sticks for a reasonable price you could always take them in to Chuckie's. They would give you a fair trade in value and you could get something you could use... maybe even out of their exensive used club stock. Maybe that is why they are not around any more but I sure appreciated the fact that the new clubs I bought there might actually be worth something on a trade in a year or two later.
    That also meant, if you saw a set of sticks you liked posted on OG at a reasonable price, you better grab them, or you'd see them at Chuckie's a month later for a hundred bucks more plus tax. It happend to me at least a dozen times...
    No knock against GolfTown. They are a great store and I use them regularly. But walk in with a trade in and they act like you just dropped a live rattlesnake on the counter . Quite frankly, I don't blame them.
    Anyway, just have a bunch of extra clubs laying around and pining for the good old days
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

accuform

Chucks

I agree - I really miss sliding in to Chucks on a slow day to go over their used clubs - taking them out for test spin and then probably adding them to the collection in my basement.

Ottawa Golf classified is the only alternative these days.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    so far whenever I've needed to trade some sticks Geoff and chris have given me fair prices

I'm surprised there are still some chuks around. Can't be very profitable for them anymore since GT starting opening up stores all over the place
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    so far whenever I've needed to trade some sticks Geoff and chris have given me fair prices

I'm surprised there are still some chuks around. Can't be very profitable for them anymore since GT starting opening up stores all over the place
    Uh.. I don't think there are any Chuck's still around... unless I've missed one
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    For me, Chuck's was one of those stores where I never really had a good experience. When I was there to buy and needed help or advice I could never seem to find anyone to help me... It always frustrated the heck out of me going in there, and usually I'd try the place out every now and again to see if things were different, but they never were. Not sure why, but that place gave me the willies.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    can't say i miss it much. their selection was pretty limited though i did find the staff helpful. it just felt dated in there, like they were running a golf shop from 20 years ago.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    Uh.. I don't think there are any Chuck's still around... unless I've missed one
    i thought there was on left, but I might be wrong. Nevada bobs will be next to go but I don't like their store much anyway
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    No kidding,i work 3 blocks away from the downtown store and was in there 5 or 6 times a week to get my fix.While it was getting pretty old and needed a makeover it was always my place to go to trade and get some demoes or used clubs to try out for a day.I miss the staff mostly and they new me by name and that makes a big difference than going to Golftown and not getting the time of day.I run into a few of the staff now anf then at Nevada Bobs and i look forward to becoming a new customer at the Orleans store.

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    I miss Chuck's just about as much as I miss my Mom's cooking, sorry Mom. It was a a Club-Ho's paradise and the atmosphere cannot be replicated by GT, although many of the Chuck's staff are still as helpful at their new employment location.

Lob Wedge jethro is on a distinguished road jethro's Avatar
    The beauty about chuck's was you used your visa and took the club's out to the course for a test spin,using a test area not the same,unless I'm wrong and gt lets us do that.Cheers.......GREAT forecast this week

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    While the selection was relatively poor and the service was not always what it should have been, CB's was a locally owned store, now replaced by a big box store with a stated goal of putting everyone else out of business.

Had Shannon closed the three stores and opened ONE large store in the east end somewhere, she may have been able to reasonably compete with the west end GT.

5 Wood parbreaker04 is on a distinguished road
    As a new employee of Golf Town and a fomer customer of Chuck Browns, my comment is this. Chuck's went down because of poor management and over paying for trades.I loved the store and the staff, we have quite a few ex employees at our new store.
    Used equipment prices are not set by the staff, and have you looked at retails on new equipment, Ping for example, you can buy G10 irons for $799.99 a year ago the retail was $999.99, as the US dollar has fallen so has used and new golf club prices.
    Our used product is sold to the US and we have no say on pricing, It IS WHAT IT IS!!!!!
    What I miss is going through the used stuff and seeing what might fit into my current set up.
    Thank God we have Ottawa Golf to trade and buy used equipment.
    If you think you could make a go of it, open a used golf equipment store, I bet you would last a week! New equipment is so affordable now and used equipment has gone the way of the used car, your value drops like a stone the minute you leave the store. Remember that after you buy those sexy new blades!
    I suggest you spend more time picking the right equipment,that fits you and sticking with it. This comment comes from a guy with 26 putters and three sets of irons LOL!
    Parbreaker
    Adams clubs work for me!!!!!!!!!

Baxter
    I liked CB..I always had good service...Maybe I was lucky. It did go down hill fast after MRS.CB past away...If I recall....There was a store in Montreal as well?? To bad,,,

As for the trade offers at GT...I wanted to smack the guy when he told me a certain club was worth only $30.00 by the book....They need to have a used club section and offer people a fair dollar on trades...and have it based upon what the person is buying. That is the only issue I have ever had at GT. I do find the staff very helpful and pleasant to speak with it.

3 Iron whatsup is on a distinguished road
    When did she pass away?

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bullis View Post
    I liked CB..I always had good service...Maybe I was lucky. It did go down hill fast after MRS.CB past away...If I recall....There was a store in Montreal as well?? To bad,,,

As for the trade offers at GT...I wanted to smack the guy when he told me a certain club was worth only $30.00 by the book....They need to have a used club section and offer people a fair dollar on trades...and have it based upon what the person is buying. That is the only issue I have ever had at GT. I do find the staff very helpful and pleasant to speak with it.
    GT uses the globalgolf.com value guide, which, when you compare it to the pga.com value guide is very similar in it's trade in values. So, a quick check of either of these sites should save you any surprises when you go to GT looking to trade something in.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information