100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Course Conditions - Early Indications

Had a walk today around several of the holes at our course to see what the turf conditions were like. The bent grass greens and fairways that were bare had no fungus or ice damage whatsoever, while the blue grass rough had a little fungus here and there. Our greens keeper WAS able to spray the course with fungicide in the fall.

It will be interesting to see what poa annua courses are like and those courses that did not get the spray down, and I gather there are some.

Would be great if what I saw today was typical of all of the local courses.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    OK, fess up, did you have a club and golf balls with you?
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Had a walk today around several of the holes at our course to see what the turf conditions were like. The bent grass greens and fairways that were bare had no fungus or ice damage whatsoever, while the blue grass rough had a little fungus here and there. Our greens keeper WAS able to spray the course with fungicide in the fall.

It will be interesting to see what poa annua courses are like and those courses that did not get the spray down, and I gather there are some.

Would be great if what I saw today was typical of all of the local courses.
    Yes, I heard the same thing about some courses caught "off guard" with the early Nov. 15 snow which never left...........

Did the greenskeeper indicate when he thought the opening date would be for Greensmere......???
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    OK, fess up, did you have a club and golf balls with you?
    No, and it's a good thing as we would have been caught. While in some areas the snow was gone, on the sheltered 13th green and the 14th tee, for examples, we were knee deep in snow. It was just great to see the good conditions and to get some exercise.

In the past we have always opened the equivalent to this weekend, however, based on what I saw yesterday, May 1 would be my best guess for taking my friends' money.

The other good news is that because of the lack of frost this year, the ground will warm sooner and there should be earlier than usual grass growth. In the past, if we have had a deep frost, the greens stayed spongy and very inconsistent until the frost was gone. This is perhaps the reason why some clubs open much later as they wait until the ground conditions are better.

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    BC, as of yet I don't have a full-time job for the summer. The ways things are going, I might keep it that way so I can actually play during the week. I was thinking about taking a page from your book by running the course early, then playing. Good idea? I'll then practice hitting the ball to JUST outside the flagstick, so Saturday morning can be a bit more profitable for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Adska View Post
    BC, as of yet I don't have a full-time job for the summer. The ways things are going, I might keep it that way so I can actually play during the week. I was thinking about taking a page from your book by running the course early, then playing. Good idea? I'll then practice hitting the ball to JUST outside the flagstick, so Saturday morning can be a bit more profitable for me...
    I usually run 4 days a week in the S/S/F, when my foot is healthy, and my routine is generally to NOT run on days that I play golf, or run short, (10K) on a day that I do, mainly because of dehydration. If you run, practice and then play, you may be overly fatigued by the end of the round if you don't drink enough, as carrying your bag up the hills can also be quite taxing.

If you do run practice and play, I would suggest that you have a milkshake with some Slim Fast in it, as soon as you finish running. The body apparently needs replacement of carbohydrates and proteins in the ratio of 4:1 and Slim Fast will do this for you. I drink this, particularly after my 20 km runs, and even others around 10 km, and within 1 to 2 hours, I feel like I haven't run a step. Sounds strange, but it works. Many marathon runners do this, as well. Although, the fact that you are 40 years younger than me, perhaps you may recover a little bit faster.

Maybe you should practice more, 'cause my back is healthy this year and I am coming after you.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Course openings condition

Hi Lyle,cant wait for your course to open.As you know we played last year at the end several times with Gerry B.and some friends and fell in love with the layout.Youseem to know a bit about golf courses,i posted a thread on course pesticides etc.and wondering if you could give me some input on what your course uses and who you think lays down the law as far as spraying(municipal,prov.or is it the clubs responsibility)You can either e-mail me or go to the thread i started yesterday and give me your opinion on this.
    Thank you.
    Mark

quote=BC MIST;247091]Had a walk today around several of the holes at our course to see what the turf conditions were like. The bent grass greens and fairways that were bare had no fungus or ice damage whatsoever, while the blue grass rough had a little fungus here and there. Our greens keeper WAS able to spray the course with fungicide in the fall.

Would be great if what I saw today was typical of all of the local courses.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Hi Lyle,cant wait for your course to open.As you know we played last year at the end several times with Gerry B.and some friends and fell in love with the layout.Youseem to know a bit about golf courses,i posted a thread on course pesticides etc.and wondering if you could give me some input on what your course uses and who you think lays down the law as far as spraying(municipal,prov.or is it the clubs responsibility)You can either e-mail me or go to the thread i started yesterday and give me your opinion on this.Thank you.Mark
    Mark, when I see our greenskeeper I will ask him about pesticide use at our place and pass the info on to you.

Perhaps we can play some time this year. We have a group that plays on Saturday mornings and if you are interesting in joining us, PM me and I will fit you in.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Thank you Lyle,that would fun.

Thread Information