100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Burnt!

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar

Cool Burnt!

Litterally.

I had a house fire that I managed to put out. Although I did many wrong things and can only blame myself for the accident.

The house is under repair and my healing has started. The probleme is that I have advanced 2nd degree burns on my right hand. Nurse even tells me they are more like 3rd degree.

So much for golf this spring. Finally have some great weather and courses are starting to open.

I guess loosing out on a couple months of golf is a small price to pay compared to what it could have been. My wife, new born son and eldest son are all intact.

I'll just envie all you guys LOL
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Bummer.

Good to hear that everyone is OK.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that Bullet. Burns are horrible. Get well soon.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Get well soon Bullet

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    You are lucky it wasn't worse. I would never want to be in that situation. I deal with propane tourches and flamable liquids in my shop almost every day and I pray that I never catch on fire. I hope that you make a clean recovery and that you are able to get some sort of golf in, even if it's only with one hand.

PS: Can I borrow your Burner (no pun intended)
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Thanks for your good wishes. Now do we have a witch Dr in the forum that could make my hand better? LOL My face I can live with it would only scare my playing partners but my hand......

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Oh my goodness! Sorry Bullet, that is awful. You can feel good that it wasn't worse but it is still horrible to have had happen to you.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    sorry to hear about that. A friend of mine left a baby bottle boiling in water a few years ago (and had left the room) and almost set their house on fire. Their kitchen had some damage but they were lucky to get it out of it with minimal damage.

how did yours start?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

By pure stupidity! Was cooking a late supper as always. My eldest wanted to fry the FF's rather then cook them in the oven as I usually do. I put the pot of veg oil on the burner, went to start the BBQ, then went to the PC so my son could explain to me some details on diffrent phones (as I need a new Palm/Blackberry) then it was to late.

Tried to put out the pot by suffecating it but to no avail. Then the cupboards starting catching on fire so I picked up the two handle pot with a wet bath towel to see if I could carry it. Seemed Ok so started for the doors (both front and back door are 15 feet apart on the ground level of our split level. When I got to the top of the stairs it just went up like a flame thrower. I let go of the pot it fell down the stairs as the caught of fire I'm now cursing myself and looking for something to put on my feet. I had blocked our only way out. Found an old gym shoe and 1 sandle threw them on my feet and went down with the wet towel and stomped it out. My wife was holding the baby outside the bedroom window and screaming her lungs out. The smoke came down to about 3 feet from the floor. Stair, Kitchen, entrance and a few walls are all burnt.

So to make it simple it was pure stupidity that nearly cost us our lives. We will be purchasing rope ladders for the 2 upstairs bedrooms and installing the extingisher somewhere noticible.

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    dangerous,

you need to put an extinguisher about 3 feet from your stove. many people put them right beside it, but if a stove top fire happens, impossible to reach,

as you have learned, never pick up a burning pot. you sure got lucky ( in a way)

Since everyone is safe, that is now a funny story.

Having successfully deep fried a couple turkeys, outside mind you, my kids occaisionally ask if we can do fries inside the house. I tell them that they are crazy, do you wan the house to burn down?

Now I can just show them this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Since everyone is safe, that is now a funny story.

Having successfully deep fried a couple turkeys, outside mind you, my kids occaisionally ask if we can do fries inside the house. I tell them that they are crazy, do you wan the house to burn down?

Now I can just show them this thread.
    I could send you a pic of me just for extra affect LOL.

Yes it will be a funny story once weère back in the house and all is back to normal. For now the main objective is to take as much positive out of the situation. Like a good lesson in life!

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Wow, what a story. Thank god you are all allright! Take care and recover well.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that Bullet....A couple of years ago I burnt may left hand pritty bad....the most pain I have ever had! Still to this day if I touch anything hot is very sensitive! Pritty stupid story also....Dont grap and alternator from a car that has just driven all day with your bare hand! Guy handed me it at a shop when he was wearing gloves. Melted the skin on my palm and fingers. No scares now it just red in a few spots. Get well soon!

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    not golfing is a small price to pay bro. You were very lucky. I had a friend die in highschool.. almost exact same story. Dad tried to do what you did, made it worse.. he got everyone out except the youngest who didn't make it. A week later the dad killed himself

Are your clubs ok?
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that Bullet.Hope you a quick recovery.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Sorry to hear this Bullet but thankfully you and the family came through it bud. It could have been much worse.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    That's too close for comfort Glad to hear everyones OK
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Ace Felix is on a distinguished road Felix's Avatar

Smile Burns

Nice try on the extinguishment but it never fails people attempt to do the right thing but it will go wrong. I am a firefighter and have seen this numerous times in the past. Besides the extinguisher and rope ladders. Do these as well

Check your Smoke Detector
    Plan an escape route from the house with your wife and children
    Never try to put it out yourself, leave the house and wait for us to arrive, then let us no where the fire is and hopefully no one is still inside.
    Never ever go back in for anything such as your cat or dog or MONEY
    Please close the door if you can on the way out.
    When the kids get a little older visit the Fire Station and the Firefighter will show the kids what a Firefighter looks like all dressed up with an SCBA on so they won't be scared of us when we pull up.
    Get rid of that Chip Pot please.
    Visit Jasmine House when its in your community.

And Last take care of those burns and cya on the Links

Felix, I would never do what I did again and hope that by sharing my experience I will wake others up to realise what NOT to do. My eldest son is 18 so he learnt a lot standing by my side.

Again thank you all for your good wishes. I'm the happiest man alive to know my familly is all safe. We don't even think about ourself only of our love ones in these types of situations.

Ah yes and Willy my clubs are fine. Shoes where 4 feet away from to fire and survived.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Wow, what a terrible ordeal to have gone through. I'm glad that everyone is OK and I wish you a speedy recovery

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I played golf a few times last year with a guy who had a very similar experience to yours. He was unable to golf for about 6 months, but his incident occurred in the winter, so he salvaged most of his season.
    Speedy recovery, sometimes an incident like that really puts your life in perspective.
    Andrew

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Bullet, I know from playing with you and having a few beers with you that you are one fine, strong person. Congradulations on bringing your family through such a dangerous ordeal. Please get you hand well soon, so we forum members can enjoy your cheerful company again this season.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Buddy of mine had a similar experience. Wife was cooking and pot caught fire. She tried to pitch it out the kitchen window and it caught the curtains on fire. Lucky to get out alive. Had four young kids at the time and lived in a small community north of Yorkton SK with only a volunteer Fire Dept. By the time they got there could only save the basement. Community rallied around and helped them get back on their feet. You may not feel so, now, but you are one lucky guy.

Hope you heal up quick.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    thought I would pop in to ask how you are doing? How is the recovery? What is the process anyway?
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    ditto

Thanks guys. I am doing very well. Wounds are healing at an incredible rate, back at work since yesterday, realising how valuable familly nad friends are and hoping that I will be able to hit a ball at some point in June.

Imust say that everyones moral is doing much better. Work on the house started yesterday so hopefully we can move back home next week.

Many of you know Garth aka 6WOOD, I will take a minute to say what an amazing friend this true gentelman is. He has been overly supportive and has helped out a lot. I tip my hat to this guy and will never forget his actions.

Another quick update.

Face and arms are in great shape. Left thumb has lost all dead sking and swelling has gone down. Hoping to be able to hit a ball in a month or so. Could be before but realistically it should take a month.

I must also thank ppaulin. This gentelman that I have never met has given me a touching gift. I had confirmed a purchase of a club before my son was born. He told me to take my time and when I would be ready he would have it for me. After the fire I sent him a PM to let him know that with the event that had occured, I didn't know when I could pick up the Wedge so he could sell it to whoever was interested. Well this fine gentelman returns my PM by telling me that because of the circumstances he is offering me the brand new Cleveland wedge as a gift. I still can' tget over how generous that was and his action will not be forgotten.

I'm proud to see how people are STILL very supportive of others during testing times. Humanity in many ways has been tested and as many feel that in this day and age we are lacking in respect, consideration and ethics, I truly believe that when in comes to crunch we are still very compationate towards others in need.

I hope you all enjoy the great weather. Can't wait to be able to enjoy it on a course sometime soon.

John

Will be looking at hitting some balls next week. My recovery still way faster then anyone could expect and me dream. This morning my mother in law (a nurse that use to work in a burn unit) said that my left hand, is in better shape now then she expected it to be after a few months.

Now if they could only start painting my &?%*@#% house!

Don't rush back. The new skin will be very tender/fragile and you don't want to damage the skin while it's healing.

Thread Information