CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Reading this thread is just pure entertainment. I can't even comment on some of this stuff. One thing that you can do as a team to prevent yourself from losing, if blaming the refs - kill the damn penalty.

I am not a hardcore fan of any team, but cheer for the Sens, have for about 10 years - and have cheered for Pitt since 1988, the Mario days. I don't like watching these two teams battle, but am not going to say that these games are fixed. They just can't be completely fixed. Like someone stated above, 50+ shots are not fixed. The Sens are going through a rough time, most fans NEED to realize this. Please..

I hope they can make this a great series.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    Gerber played really well last night. His rebound control is still crappy and is lateral movement is brutal, how many one timers will Sykora score, .

As for the post regarding Emery and my opinion of Gerber, make your point but back it up. Say something intelligent like Emery may cover more net but his vertical movement is lacking or even though he maybe more technically sound but is attitude disrupts the the dressing room.

Honestly I really dislike when people dont know much about the position and try to critique it. How someone could believe Emery has better fundamentals or better lateral movement then gerber just blows my mind. The reason emery is not playing right now is the LACK of fundamentals he has, hes a great athlete but not a great goalie. For someone to blame those 2 one timer goals also makes me laugh, you do realize it is gerbers job not to get beat from the faceoff circle and it is the DEFENCE'S job to ensure that pass doesn't get across. As for rebound control i'd like to show you a quick clip of a goal where emery lets out a poor rebound AND does not have the lateral movement to get across to stop the second one. Just turns his body and throws his arm out. http://youtube.com/watch?v=e2FdRzjlZ80
    Then I'm gonna show you another quick clip and your gonna watch it tell me ray emery would make 1 of those saves. And that Martin Gerber's lateral movement sucks. http://youtube.com/watch?v=KV9nUnvxIlM

Anywho SEEYA

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    An NBA referee was arrested last year for match fixing, it's not beyond the realm of possibilities...

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    Im not a sens fan but I cant even watch them play anymore because they are so out of sync. its ugly how bad their defense is and I think commodore needs to grow his hair back because this short hair thing aint working for him. Go Leafs! Go Golfing!

I love when fans resort to blaming it on the Refs
    I gotta say I'm really disappointed with his hair too. I made sure to grow out my fro so that I could dye it red and wear a bathrobe to all the games, but if he's not going to put in the effort....sigh.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smithers40 View Post
    Honestly I really dislike when people dont know much about the position and try to critique it. How someone could believe Emery has better fundamentals or better lateral movement then gerber just blows my mind. The reason emery is not playing right now is the LACK of fundamentals he has, hes a great athlete but not a great goalie. For someone to blame those 2 one timer goals also makes me laugh, you do realize it is gerbers job not to get beat from the faceoff circle and it is the DEFENCE'S job to ensure that pass doesn't get across. As for rebound control i'd like to show you a quick clip of a goal where emery lets out a poor rebound AND does not have the lateral movement to get across to stop the second one. Just turns his body and throws his arm out. http://youtube.com/watch?v=e2FdRzjlZ80
    Then I'm gonna show you another quick clip and your gonna watch it tell me ray emery would make 1 of those saves. And that Martin Gerber's lateral movement sucks. http://youtube.com/watch?v=KV9nUnvxIlM

Anywho SEEYA
    I dislike those who cannot accept another person opinion.

Your first clip show Emery making a good save which he rebounds off at angle, not in front of the net. There must be 4 people standing there 3 of the Senators and not one of them picks up their man and he shoots it into the empty net, Superman wouldn't have that lateral movement.

The second clip proves my theory that the sun shines on a dogs ass at least once. Gerber can be a great goalie, like I said about his play last night and in that clip it looks like he was having another great game. He just can't do it it more then one game in a row. Emery had a great season last year and into the playoffs, his unjury and attitude this year ruined his chance to get back into the groove.

Not sure why you are getting so personal about this. I don't think either one is a great goalie but I prefer Emery, prefer Gerber. What's the big deal, do you need a hug or something or is it just easier to act like an ass behind your keyboard?

I think that when a goalie lets in 2 bad goals right at the start of the game itn puts the team down mentally, they lose confidence and become frustrated. That was Gerber in Game 1. Would we have won in game 1 with emery. maybe not I can't predict the past but i think he would have stopped the first two goals and that would have changed the flow of the game.

Game 2 I already said that Gerber was the best Sen on the ice, but lets see if he can do it again in Game 3.

In the end it really doesn't matter ebcause as long as your 3rd and 4th lines are leading the way, your screwed in the long term.

You guys seem to like Gerber, well good on you it looks like that's working good so far . I like Emery but it doesn't matter because murray won't give him a chance. At the end of the day Ottawa is still left with two better then average back up goalies and no number one.
    Gerber let in 1 bad goal in game one...and then stood on his head for the rest of the night. I'm sure for the first 10 minutes the guys on the bench were thinking "oh crap...here we go again". But then when they realized he was playing like a champ, the team still couldn't get a puck on the net. Gerber is playing great hockey.

As someone else observed, Emery simply doesn't have the fundamentals down yet. He has the potential to be an outstanding goalie in the future, as he is an incredible athlete. But, he needs to pull his head out of his ass, take off his $8000 suit, and get his ass practising. You don't improve or earn a starting job by sitting on your ass whining, showing up late. YOu do it by worker harder, longer, and better than everyone else. If he does that, he'll get his chance. But he doesn't want to do that.

Honestly For someone to blame those 2 one timer goals also makes me laugh, you do realize it is gerbers job not to get beat from the faceoff circle and it is the DEFENCE'S job to ensure that pass doesn't get across.
    Anywho SEEYA
    I've said from the beginning that their Defense is brutal. I think you read what you want, amybe it makes you feel like a big man.

On both of those one timers the D should have went towards Sykora leaving gerber to deal with the shooter one on one. That is how a 2 on 1 is supposed to be played. Waiting in the middle to take away the pass is stupid because it confuses the goalie. They have to watch for the pass and the shot instead of conceptrating on the puck. It is better to let a goalie take on the shooter one one. If the pass does make it through then a goalie needs to react, knid of like a soccer goalie and guess alittle.
    Need any more lessons on 2 on1's today?

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Gerber let in 1 bad goal in game one...and then stood on his head for the rest of the night. I'm sure for the first 10 minutes the guys on the bench were thinking "oh crap...here we go again". But then when they realized he was playing like a champ, the team still couldn't get a puck on the net. Gerber is playing great hockey.

As someone else observed, Emery simply doesn't have the fundamentals down yet. He has the potential to be an outstanding goalie in the future, as he is an incredible athlete. But, he needs to pull his head out of his ass, take off his $8000 suit, and get his ass practising. You don't improve or earn a starting job by sitting on your ass whining, showing up late. YOu do it by worker harder, longer, and better than everyone else. If he does that, he'll get his chance. But he doesn't want to do that.
    That's your opinion. I think Emery is stronger technically but his attitude and work ethic are crappy. Gerber let in 2 bad goals and played great in the second game. That's my opinion.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

Anywho SEEYA
    Thats why Emery will be gone within 48 hours after the Sens season ends. This is coming from good sources and not from the speculative media reports.
    Too bad he was not gone earlier.............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Thats why Emery will be gone within 48 hours after the Sens season ends. This is coming from good sources and not from the speculative media reports.
    Too bad he was not gone earlier.............

agreed i also have good sources (friend's brother plays for the team)

and to the other guy, you keep sayin "does it make u feel like a bigman behind ur keyboard" your the one makin those comments not me, im a goalie im just pointing out the mistakes ur making thats all, emery is not technical thats the way it is... BYE BYE RAY have fun with ur drugs somewhere else

That's your opinion. I think Emery is stronger technically but his attitude and work ethic are crappy. Gerber let in 2 bad goals and played great in the second game. That's my opinion.
    Yes. It is my opinion. I thought that was obvious. Do you want me to preface every post with "the following is the opinion of Jon Fox and does not represent the opinions of Dan Kilbank, Ottawagolf.com, or it's employees"?

Seriously though, I'm curious what you think Gerber should/could have done differently on the second goal. What makes it a bad goal? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong one, but I certainly didn't think he had much of a chance on it.

agreed i also have good sources (friend's brother plays for the team)

and to the other guy, you keep sayin "does it make u feel like a bigman behind ur keyboard" your the one makin those comments not me, im a goalie im just pointing out the mistakes ur making thats all, emery is not technical thats the way it is... BYE BYE RAY have fun with ur drugs somewhere else
    I'm agreeing with a lot of what you are saying, just not on who they should be playing right now. Maybe a need to dumb it down a notch but I don't know why you cannot accpet someone else opinions.

I really appreciate you pointing out all of the mistakes that I am making, but just because you own goalie equip doesn't make you a goalie or someone who knows what they are talking about. Your thoughts on how to play a 2 on 1 for example. Been playing for 25 years and know good techniques when I see it. So I don't think that I will take your expert opinion as the law but think that you should be able to express them without backlash just because I don't agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Yes. It is my opinion. I thought that was obvious. Do you want me to preface every post with "the following is the opinion of Jon Fox and does not represent the opinions of Dan Kilbank, Ottawagolf.com, or it's employees"?

Seriously though, I'm curious what you think Gerber should/could have done differently on the second goal. What makes it a bad goal? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong one, but I certainly didn't think he had much of a chance on it.
    He doesn't sldie post to post in an upright position but usually flops across. The shot went across to Gerbers side of the net not straight into the goal. If he had better horizontal movement and stayed vertical, the puck woul dhave hit him. truth be told that that goal and the one last night boils down to the defense to taking the passer and letting the goaling take on the shooter. So call it 50/50.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    I am guilty at making some stupid comments on here latly and think there are a few others. The disapointment of the sens and the long winter is getting to everyone I think.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    An NBA referee was arrested last year for match fixing, it's not beyond the realm of possibilities...

OK, but I'm sure his influence for fixing the matches came from outside of the NBA (hint, hint). I highly doubt those orders came from the NBA brass.

In this instance the posters are saying the NHL is mandating the refs to determine who advances in the playoffs. I would highly doubt that is the case here. If refs are trying to fix games, then they are being paid by outside agencies and will get caught like the NBA ref.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

just because you own goalie equip doesn't make you a goalie or someone who knows what they are talking about. Your thoughts on how to play a 2 on 1 for example.

Played AA/AAA hockey my entire life until blowing my knee out, i know my stuff. On a 2 on 1 the goalie is told that the shooter is HIS responsibility. If he gets beat on the shot that is his problem. From working with guys who have worked with high class goalies i was told this and told to almost forget the other guy is there until you have to worry about him, it is your d-mans job. Seeing this is the ultimate level you must challenge the shooter on the 2 on 1 to ensure that he will not beat you from the circle. This means that if a cross ice pass is made you go into the splits and hope like the guy doesn't get it up.

Played AA/AAA hockey my entire life until blowing my knee out, i know my stuff. On a 2 on 1 the goalie is told that the shooter is HIS responsibility. If he gets beat on the shot that is his problem. From working with guys who have worked with high class goalies i was told this and told to almost forget the other guy is there until you have to worry about him, it is your d-mans job. Seeing this is the ultimate level you must challenge the shooter on the 2 on 1 to ensure that he will not beat you from the circle. This means that if a cross ice pass is made you go into the splits and hope like the guy doesn't get it up.
    That's exactly what I wrote. Goalie takes the shooter, D takes the pass. The golaie should try to push off the post and slide across either in the butterfly or stack pad position to take away the lower part of the net. Anything top shelf is a hope and prayer.

That's exactly what I wrote. Goalie takes the shooter, D takes the pass. The golaie should try to push off the post and slide across either in the butterfly or stack pad position to take away the lower part of the net. Anything top shelf is a hope and prayer.
    Ya, but if he's playing the shot properly, which gerber was, he's well off his line because he's up at the top of the crease, if not higher. He's got no post to push off. It also means he has much farther to slide to get to the other side. The only way he can do that is to go into the splits. He's got to lay himself out there and make sure he gets to the other side to at least have a chance at making the save. That's not a save you expect any goalie to make. If he comes up with that save somehow, it's a highlight real "How the hell did he do that" save.

If he's that high out then he has to push off his side edge. Some goalies are better at this then others. It is one of the harder stops to make for sure, but I find Gerber to be exceptionally slow at them.

Keep in mind...he did get there...and sykora made no mistake. I think if you watch the video again you may change your mind. Looks like pretty good form to me...he actually did a pretty good job of staying upright on it, too.

Maybe, I was looking around for video from different angles but couldn't find anything. Sykora def hit the hit damn near perfect.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Sincerely Yours,

A true San Jose Sharks Fan..........living in St. Thomas, Ontario, CANADA...........
    At least I am not whining about the Refs If my team loses this series it is because they were out played. Plain and simple. Every team in the NHL gets bad calls against them. Good teams suck it up and play hockey. Bad teams whine and let it bother them and it costs them games.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    At least I am not whining about the Refs If my team loses this series it is because they were out played. Plain and simple. Every team in the NHL gets bad calls against them. Good teams suck it up and play hockey. Bad teams whine and let it bother them and it costs them games.
    I think Ottawa sucked it up and started to play when it was 3-0, no?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    The sens may of have had some bad luck, with calls against them / not being called etc, but i have to be realistic here , they didn't play well enough to win for the entire game ... they almost did win it , but didn't.
    Penalty for high sticking ... yes , dive ... yes , but the ref didn't call the dive , whatcha gonna do ?
    They had a great 3rd period , but the shot stats say it all.

They do have some momentum coming back to Ottawa , and a very good reason to play well .
    Eg. Prove the critics wrong , prove the disbelievers wrong , prove thermselves right.
    This series is in Ottawas control right now , not the refs , and they can win it .... if they want to.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Gap Wedge rowsie is on a distinguished road
    No offence... but ottawa is going no where this year,, thee goalies are awful .. there defence is collapsing and turnign the puck over way to much,, and there forwards cant score,,, i feel sorry for all of u sens fans,, goign to be a long summer for you... pens will win in four games.. no question about it,,, there to strong,,, ottawa has never been a tough team and thast showing big time in this series.. pittsburgh is manhandling them all over the ice

Quote Originally Posted by rowsie View Post
    No offence... but ottawa is going no where this year,, thee goalies are awful .. there defence is collapsing and turnign the puck over way to much,, and there forwards cant score,,, i feel sorry for all of u sens fans,, goign to be a long summer for you... pens will win in four games.. no question about it,,, there to strong,,, ottawa has never been a tough team and thast showing big time in this series.. pittsburgh is manhandling them all over the ice

stop with the goalie ...our goaltending is not our problem number 1. If the pens are so strong why did it take a powerplay with a minute left in order to beat a depleated senators team? A team without their captain and best player and also one of the better penalty killers in the league and their second line centre. I really wouldn't call thbe pens THAT strong. Hossa is a useless addition, he has always been a playoff choker and they gave up WAY to much for him. Pens will not take it in 4. This series is going to go a lot deeper then many ppl believe because now the sens have gotten a couple past M.A fleury they will get many more

Gap Wedge rowsie is on a distinguished road
    theres your first problem in thinking your captain will carry your team,,, what a waste of space he is.. shows no leadership skills what so ever... and has no toughness,, prolly the worst captain in the league by far.... the pens arent that strong ????.. did u not watch the first 2 games of the series..?... u couldnt have to make that comment... way to much skill on pittsburgh for ottawa to handle that showed the last game when pittsburgh outshot ottawa by double..i love how sens fans are so optimistic in everything.. and yeah hossa isnt that strong in the playoffs.. but he makes stuff happen... id just be embarrsed if my team started 15-2 and barely made the playoffs..

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Guess you never saw Bill McCreary ref a Sens game.................
    Read Ottawa Sun article http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Colu...9/5044031.html
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rowsie View Post
    ... id just be embarrsed if my team started 15-2 and barely made the playoffs..
    Who is your team Rowsie?? You do a great job of slamming the Sens but who do you cheer for?

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Who is your team Rowsie?? You do a great job of slamming the Sens but who do you cheer for?
    guys dont fall into my trap....these people are a wate of time!

Thread Information