100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poor Mikey

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Poor Mikey

Michael hits his tee shot towards an area of trees and thinking the ball might be lost, plays a provisional ball. He finds a ball in the trees and plays it, and walks over and picks up his provisional. When he gets to the ball he hit, he discovers that the ball is NOT his.

1. From where does he play his next stroke?
    2. What stroke is he playing?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Hey, I will take a shot, fourth from the tee?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I will try this one, seems too easy

If match play, he loses the hole, if stroke play, 2 strokes for playing the wrong ball and he has to place the provisional back where he picked it up, which means he is playing his 7th shot off the provisional?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Indio, how do you account for the 6 strokes to that point?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    I think he means he played 3 off the tee...so he would go back to where that was lying 4....add a 2 stroke penalty and be hitting 7? correct me if im wrong

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smithers40 View Post
    I think he means he played 3 off the tee...so he would go back to where that was lying 4....add a 2 stroke penalty and be hitting 7? correct me if im wrong
    How did he get from lying 3 with the provisional to lying 4?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Michael hits his tee shot towards an area of trees and thinking the ball might be lost, plays a provisional ball. He finds a ball in the trees and plays it, and walks over and picks up his provisional. When he gets to the ball he hit, he discovers that the ball is NOT his.

1. From where does he play his next stroke?
    2. What stroke is he playing?
    Well, assuming he has no time left on the clock to continue the search for his lost ball, his provisional ball is the ball in play.

2 strokes penalty for lifting his ball in play not under a rule, and he must drop a ball as close as possible to the spot at which it was lifted from.

18-2. By Player, Partner, Caddie or Equipment

a. General
    When a player's ball is in play, if:
    (i) the player, his partner or either of their caddies lifts or moves it, touches it purposely (except with a club in the act of addressing it) or causes it to move except as permitted by a Rule,

*Penalty for Breach of Rule:
    Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.

Note 3: If it is impossible to determine the spot on which a ball is to be placed, see Rule 20-3c.

20-3. Placing and Replacing

c. Spot Not Determinable

If it is impossible to determine the spot where the ball is to be placed or replaced:

(i) through the green, the ball must be dropped as near as possible to the place where it lay but not in a hazard or on a putting green;
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Gap Wedge ClubFoot is on a distinguished road
    Poor Mikey.

In match play it is loss of hole for playing the wrong ball.

In stroke play, he is lying 6 (3 strokes after stroke and distance penalty for lost ball; 2 stroke penalty for playing the wrong ball; and 1 stoke penalty for picking up the provisional).

In stroke play, he plays the 7th stroke from where the provisional was.

Baxter
    And if he can't locate where the provisional was? How close does one have to be to the spot where the ball was? Is there forgiveness with trying to locate the spot?

Quote Originally Posted by spidey View Post

18-2. By Player, Partner, Caddie or Equipment

a. General
    When a player's ball is in play, if:
    (i) the player, his partner or either of their caddies lifts or moves it, touches it purposely (except with a club in the act of addressing it) or causes it to move except as permitted by a Rule,

*Penalty for Breach of Rule:
    Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.
    [color=blue]
    I am not sure where you got the "Stroke Play - 2 strokes," as 18-2a (i) specifically says, "the player incurs a 1 stroke penalty."

27 2b/9 covers this exact scenario.
    Mike is 3 off the tee, plus 1 for lifting the provisional which became the ball in play as the original was not found in 5 minutes, 2 for playing a wrong ball, totaling 6. He is now playing 7. Since the lifted ball was replaced, and correctly dropped, unless the exact spot from which the provisional was lifted could be determined, there is no additional stroke penalty.

This is why one should put a large identifying mark on one's golf ball.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    My question is this: Is the provision still in play after he hits the ball (the wrong one) out of the woods?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Once he had found out he had played a wrong ball and couldn't find his original the provisional is now the one in play. He had to correct the hitting of the wrong ball and if he didn't before teeing off the next hole he would have been dq'd. I saw last year where a player hadn't hit a provisional and hit a wrong ball from the woods and when he walked back to the tee to hit another one he just kept walking and the guys he was playing with were quite surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I saw last year where a player hadn't hit a provisional and hit a wrong ball from the woods and when he walked back to the tee to hit another one he just kept walking and the guys he was playing with were quite surprised.
    Why did he keep walking? Would he not just hit 5 from the tee? 1 for the lost ball, (27) and 2 for the wrong ball. (15)

In the same way that the OVGA in 2008, is fining players $25 for not showing up, maybe they should fine them, as well, for NC's, or DNF's.

Thread Information