100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Iron priorlad is on a distinguished road

Ball on a bridge over water hazard

My ball is resting in the middle of a bridge going over a red staked water hazard. Local rules state that there is a free drop from roadways/pathways. What is the ruling? This has come up several times in the course of play over the last several years.

It is my understanding that the bridge is part of the hazard, as the hazard lines rise vertically from the defined boundaries. Other players maintain that the local rule about roadways/pathways override this rule.

I also believe that you may "ground" your club on the bridge, as it is not deemed to be "ground".

Thank you.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    From the Local rules section
    c. Roads and Paths
    (i) Declaring artificial surfaces and sides of roads and paths to be integral parts of the course, or
    (ii) Providing relief of the type afforded under Rule 24-2b from roads and paths not having artificial surfaces and sides, if they could unfairly affect play.
    Part ii seems to be the part they are using. The dirt or gravel paths would have the same status as paved cart paths. It does not extend to bridges over hazards.

From the decisions:

13-4/30 Grounding Club on Bridge in Water Hazard
    Q. A player’s ball lies on a bridge over a water hazard within the margins of the hazard when extended upward. May the player ground his club?
    A. Yes. A bridge is an obstruction. In a hazard, the club may touch an obstruction at address or in the backward movement for the stroke — see Note under Rule 13-4. Touching the bridge prior to address is also permissible, since an obstruction in a water hazard is not “ground in the hazard.”
    This applies even if the bridge has been declared an integral part of the course.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    You're too fast Dan. This is a rule that will usually get an arguement from whomever you're playing with.

That's a real shame. LOL

So it seems that the ball must be played as it lies? Thanks for the quick response!

Play it as it lies and ground your club if you want.

OR

Take your penalty and drop from the hazzard.

Of course, I forgot to mention the dreaded one stroke option. Thanks again!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    So, to clarify, there would be no free relief from the cart path? You either play it as it lies, or take a penalty and drop as if you were in the hazard?

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    as if you were in the hazard?
    You are in the hazard. You refered to "cart path" but we are discussing a bridge over the hazard. It's an immovable obstruction.
    24-2 Note 1: If a ball is in a water hazard (including a lateral water hazard), the player may not take relief from interference by an immovable obstruction. The player must play the ball as it lies or proceed under Rule 26-1.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    As a "priorlad" may I assume that you play at or have played the Arnprior GC. On the 9th hole where the little bridge crosses the creek, I believe the local rule allows a lift from the bridge. Obviously from the comments above, this is not permissible.

Many golf clubs believe that they can make whatever local rules they wish and that they supersede the Rules of Golf. However, the AGC committee has no right to change a Rule of Golf (33-1) and permitting a lift breaks 24-2(b) where it states that relief from an immovable obstruction is permitted "except in a hazard."

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    But what if it's a bridge over troubled water?
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Then you call Simon to make a ruling

Bogie disenor is on a distinguished road
    Whats the ruling in the event that there are doubles stakes placed on either side of the bridge?

Cheers

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    You are in the hazard. You refered to "cart path" but we are discussing a bridge over the hazard. It's an immovable obstruction.
    24-2 Note 1: If a ball is in a water hazard (including a lateral water hazard), the player may not take relief from interference by an immovable obstruction. The player must play the ball as it lies or proceed under Rule 26-1.
    I have seen alot of players take a free drop from this situation before including myself.Nice to know in the future.Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by disenor View Post
    Whats the ruling in the event that there are doubles stakes placed on either side of the bridge?
    Not sure what you mean by "doubles stakes " but a bridge is an immovable obstruction. In a hazard there is no free relief from an immovable obstruction. The number and colour of stakes would be irrelevant. Different coloured stakes would only determine your drop options.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 04-07-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "doubles stakes " but a bridge is an immovable obstruction. In a hazard there is no free relief from an immovable obstruction. The number and colour of stakes would be irrelevant. Different coloured stakes would only determine your drop options.
    Perhaps he means this: Some golf clubs have stakes adjacent to the culverts that are under the bridge or cart path, and run parallel to the ditch or creek (WH). It leaves the impression that the hazard ends at the bridge and starts again on the other side of the bridge, so that the bridge or cart path is an obstruction. Obviously not.

The only other time double stakes are used is when the lateral water hazard ends and the water hazard begins.

Driver tacks451 is on a distinguished road tacks451's Avatar

bridge

We have a similar situation at our club and you can hit it off the bridge or take you stroke penalty

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    But is a culvert a bridge? I'd say no
    Def'n: A bridge is a structure built to span a gorge, valley, road, railroad track, river, body of water, or any other physical obstacle.
    A culvert is a conduit used to enclose a flowing body of water.
    see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SmallCulvert.jpg
    or here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:C...ationCanal.jpg

so, according to the rules of golf, you could define the hazard up to the culverts "bridge" (term being used loosely here to mean the land covering the culvert) and have it start again on the other side.

But, if the bridge spans the water hazard, then it would be part of the hazard.

The difference would be turf.

If the culvert has turf covering it then it's not an obstruction.

If it's an uncovered pipe it is an obstruction. If it's within the hazzard, no free relief. If it's outside the hazard, you'd get relief.

Quote Originally Posted by g8r View Post
    But, if the bridge spans the water hazard, then it would be part of the hazard.
    Yes. By definition, the margins of a water hazard extend both vertically upward and downward. Therefore any bridge over a water hazard is in the water hazard and any immovable obstruction in the water hazard means that the ball is untouchable, i.e., no free relief. The only relief that is available in a water hazard is that from a movable obstruction, where the movable obstruction may be moved. If the ball is moved by the removal of the movable obstruction, it must be moved back.

It is best to stick with the golf definitions, not the dictionary kind.

Thread Information