100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Speeding Tickets

Got one today on highway 15. Cop came over one of the ridges same time I was and got me. With todays cars you can't even feel or hear how fast you are actually going and on a long ride it's easy to zone out. Anyways, anyone have any luck at fighting these things yourself or using those xcopper/paralegal firms?

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I had to go to traffic school ... so no...no luck.

well, keeping my license up until then was pretty lucky now that i think of it.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Baxter
    How fast? what was the zone posted at?

112 in a 80. I don't care about the money of the ticket it's the 4 points that sucks. This is my first ticket in 8 years so I have to see if my insurance company has the 1 freebie rule. But I will fight it just because the cop was a real jerk. He acted like he was saving the world.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Unusual that he would hit you for the full deal with 8 years clean driving.

As an example, I got clocked going, umm, very fast early one morning heading to the golf course and the nice officer kicked it down to 15 over the limit since I had a clean record. I went from mucho dollars and points to $53 and no points.

Word of caution, Riverside drive heading south just before the train bridge is a dangerous spot early in the AM.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Like I said he was a real by the book, stiff cop. I asked why he didn't knock it down and he said he doesn't knock any tickets down. He attitude was really kind of funny in a ** off sort of way. He really thought that he had just captured billy the kid or something, like this ticket was going to change the world forever. I did all the right stuff like call him sir and didn't argue with him when he came to my window, had everything ready. Thought he'd knock it down but nope, full ticket. Maybe he won't show up to court, but I think this guy gets a kick out of this stuff.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Yeah, that's very odd. Usually politeness will get you a break no matter what.

I have to ask, were you in uniform? If so, then he's really got a problem.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    i got nailed huge in Quebec... had the radar on and everything, unfortunatly not good when being hit with laser. cop didnt see the radar as it was hidden, but after being super polite to the guy he gave me the ticket for the full speed and full $$ amount and full point value. needless to say if i get cuaght speeding again im screwd.... good thing this happend before the 50 over and youre done rule came in... or i probably wouldnt be driving... and i had a perfectly clean record with no moving violations... oh well... live and learn i guess...

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I've used xcopper and they got my ticket reduced to under 15 over. It's costly but no points.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    Anyways, anyone have any luck at fighting these things yourself or using those xcopper/paralegal firms?
    I've had luck with both.

The only way you will be successful yourself is if there is a mistake on the ticket - i.e., wrong date, licence plate, etc. Simply wait till they present the mistake in court (prosecution always goes first), and then you can easily show reasonable doubt and you beat the rap!

The paralegal firms don't really save you money on a speeding ticket, but they usually save you demerit points. If that's what you really care about, then I would give them a visit. The initial consultation is usually free anyway.

BTW, the police ALWAYS show up in court. You might get lucky with the parking bylaw officers (I wouldn't count on it though), but not with a cop.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Insurance companies don't really care about points, mine didn't anyhow. I had some points roll off and then got two minor tickets that put me into the 4 ticket in 3 years category, something like that, and blammo...they hit you pretty heavy.

A 4 pointer they may frown on more, dunno, I guess it depends on the company. Utimately I had to pay an extra grand or so over a year and a half untill some offences drop of the radar. Not the end of the world really, I'd already coughed up close to that in fines. I danced, I payed...

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    not guilty... show up and pray to god he doesnt show....
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    not guilty... show up and pray to god he doesnt show....
    I have a few good friends that are on the job. They have told me.. That they love going to court now...They show up and get paid for it.. Before it was their free time and didn't get paid, so they would do their own thing.

I used points a while back...Long story made short...

Driving on Greenbank, was cut off by a lady(now she is a lady, at the time it was a different word). So I was chasing her, giving the horn..She gave me the finger..So I hit the back of her car..not hard, no damage.But hard enough that she knew she was hit..She stopped got out and we had a nice yelling match...Well 2 days later there's a knock at the door..3 cops and guess who is leading the group..Her, she was a cop...Was ticketed for Careless driving. Found out the only ticket worse is passing a school bus.Insurance told me I was going to double at least....Hired points $500.00 and they got it down to a "Following to close" 2 points and $78.00...One could say it was a Good Lesson...
    You can speak with them at no charge. Good Luck...

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Yeah, that's very odd. Usually politeness will get you a break no matter what.

I have to ask, were you in uniform? If so, then he's really got a problem.
    Not uniform, that has got me off a few times here in the city. I played that card when asking him to reduce it and he was budging. I think I just got unlucky, if you speed, you're going to get caught eventually. I do find it funny that probably 85% of the population find that most posted speeds are to low with todays car technology. 80 on highway 15 and 7 is crazy, it almost puts you to sleep! I'm going to call one of these comapnies today and see what they say. Heard some bad things about xcopper so I might try another one.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    You mentioned Highway #15, was it the Smiths Falls Police Department? My father's warned me about speeding in & around SF because they'll nab you for everything. He's got dinged on the same road twice for 62 & 65 in a 50.

You're right though, with some of the vehicles now, you have to be extremely mindful of your speed because you can just coast.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    got caught coming back from of all places, Golf O' Max on Baseline just before Riverside a month or so ago. Cop knocked it down to 15 over even though I was more like 25 over. He also gave me a warning for having those license plate covers on my car, and said next time I would likely be fined. Apparently it is against the law to have those on, and we got into a "discussion" about how it is legal to sell them but I illegal to put them on. Seems to me they are going after the wrong people, how bout making them illegal to sell so Canadian Tire can't take my $ in the first place.

As for fighting your ticket, good luck but as they say the worst they can say is no.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Dave you make me laugh

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bullis View Post
    Driving on Greenbank, was cut off by a lady(now she is a lady, at the time it was a different word). So I was chasing her, giving the horn..She gave me the finger..So I hit the back of her car..not hard, no damage.But hard enough that she knew she was hit..She stopped got out and we had a nice yelling match...Well 2 days later there's a knock at the door..3 cops and guess who is leading the group..Her, she was a cop...Was ticketed for Careless driving. Found out the only ticket worse is passing a school bus.Insurance told me I was going to double at least....Hired points $500.00 and they got it down to a "Following to close" 2 points and $78.00...One could say it was a Good Lesson...
    You chased someone after they cut you off, then bumped her to let her know you were there? Geez I hope I never cut you off...

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Dave Bullis
    Wow thought for a second I had got back on to that old Ray Emery post

wow, road rage! I've been told that just showing up to court you are going to get it reduced. When you plead not guilty, they set a court date but since courts are so full, they will offer you a plea bargin. The trick is to bargin th ereduction in points and charge not money. They want your money, they don't care about your points. I've been doing some reading on th enet and another one that seems to work well is going not guilty, and when they send you the court date wait until the last minute possible an dchange it. They usually book it based on the cops schedule, say tuesday the 15th he comes in to do all of his tickets at the same time. You change it and hopefully they won't show. My beef with them being paid extra to come to court is that it is in their best interest to give you the worst because they know you will fight it. a $50 ticket with no points everyone will pay but the higher ones means that they get more cash for the court appearence.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I had someone do that to me once. During the heated discussion after he bumped me I accidentally broke his jaw in 3 places...
    It cost me quite a bit of time in court before being acquitted but it was worth every penny spent. Before anyone accuses me of road rage, I really had no choice in the matter due to his extreme agressiveness (he started to shove me and then took his fist back like he was going to hit me). The judge ruled he had assaulted me with his car and then physically and I had only acted in self defence. I filed counter charges and he was convicted of two counts of assault and put on probation for 2 years. We call that adding insult to injury... LOL!
    My point is... careful what you wish for in a road rage incident or you might get it. You don't know who is driving the other car. Sounds like in your case you were very lucky she did not shoot you at the scene , let alone that you got off with following too closely for what was clearly a premeditated 'accident'.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Been driving now for 16 years, 0 tickets. Pulled over once for going 97 in an 80. No ticket. Since then I keep it to less than 20 over and 10 over in town. So far so good.

Baxter
    That was than...now I just don't care any more...Have slowed down as well... Crazy things happen when your in your 20's...It was stupid but I was angry at the world..Would never even think about doing something that stupid again.... Plus now I'm happy with the world........LOL

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    My point is... careful what you wish for in a road rage incident or you might get it. You don't know who is driving the other car.
    right! could be Ray Emery!
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    That was than...now I just don't care any more...Have slowed down as well... Crazy things happen when your in your 20's...It was stupid but I was angry at the world..Would never even think about doing something that stupid again.... Plus now I'm happy with the world........LOL
    Me too
    Funny the stupid things we do when we are young
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    I got a ticket once, doing close to 20 kph over - written up for 15 over - small fine and no points. Found out the tires on the car (recently purchased second-hand) were over-sized, so the odometer was wrong. That was in 1980, or 1981.

Got a warning once - in about 1989. Driving east on 401 around Pickering, came up on a pack of cars driving 95 kph (limit was 100). It was a nice sunny summer Saturday, driving my wife's red Camaro with the T-bar off. I worked my way throught he pack of cars and found that there was a cop driving 95kph in the left lane.

I passed him in the middle lane in the 100-105 kph range (no cruise control, so it was hard to keep the 5.7l engine to such a slow speed). The cop pulled in behind me, and eventually pulled me over. He was more interested in checking out the car than anything else, and I asked him to either give me the ticket or let me go. He never once even suggested that I was driving over the 105 I told him when he asked if I knew how fast I was driving.

Just because I was driving a better car than he was. sheesh.

Now, I use cruise on the highways, set at 19 kph over the limit, and have not had a roadside chat in 20 years.

I've had nine tickets in my 14 years of driving, including two in the first two months of having my license at the ripe old age of 16...both times doing 125 in an 80, and both times had it knocked down to 100 or 105, I don't remember. The odd thing is that not once was my insurance ever affected. I do recall, however, getting pulled over in North Dakota by the greenest cop I've ever seen, he couldn't have been more than 21 years old, and he pulled me over for doing 76 mph in a 70 zone. Looked me square in the eye, and with all the innocence in the world told me that I can't drive that fast and I need to slow down. It took all of my composure not to burst out laughing at him. 76 in a 70? Right...

By the way, I find it amusing that people just automatically assume that if you are polite, say "yes sir," or wear a uniform, then you should have the reasonable expectation of having your ticket reduced or just given a warning. These cops are patrolling the streets for a reason, speed limits exist for a reason, so if you want to risk speeding, then be prepared to face the consequences. I understand the "hoping," just not the disbelief that the cop has the gall to give you the maximum ticket.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    By the way, I find it amusing that people just automatically assume that if you are polite, say "yes sir," or wear a uniform, then you should have the reasonable expectation of having your ticket reduced or just given a warning. These cops are patrolling the streets for a reason, speed limits exist for a reason, so if you want to risk speeding, then be prepared to face the consequences. I understand the "hoping," just not the disbelief that the cop has the gall to give you the maximum ticket.
    These speed limits are stupid. There would be less accidents if people were allowed to go faster. # of accidents would go down, but number of deaths /accident would go up cause of the speed. Dead might stay the same or go down but total accidents would go down IMO. Kick the limits up to 130km on 100km and 100km on 80km

Got a ticket, 155km in a 60km zone. Got reduced to points and $150 then we to count and said I'm a student and can't pay it" and fine was reduced to $50
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I got dinged in Kanata one night doing 58 in a 40 school zone. But I got pulled over at 1:30 in the morning, so I was fairly confident I wasn't going to wipe out an entire 3rd grade class coming around the bend. She didn't drop the ticket, probably because in the entire time I sat there not one car went by either way and I was kind of obligated to ask "Busy night eh?".

I also got pulled over for license plate covers, but that cop actually ticketed me. I was doing 115 on the Queensway when he came up behind me so I was a little confused. I was less than please with the $108 ticket for having slightly tinted covers.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Thread Information