CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge Martin B is on a distinguished road

Can I Count this game?

Sometimes I play when my course is almost empty. To improve my short game, I'll play multiple balls when I'm close to the green. If I always count the first ball that I hit, can I still claim the game for handicapping purposes?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    According to the letter of the handicapping law, I would have to say no since you are not playing according to the rules.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    after you sink your putt you can do whatever you want until you tee off on the next hole
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

I see you have been reading the online rules.

You are correct, once you have finished the hole you can practice chips and putts. I interpreted Martin's original post as he was hitting multiple balls from the same location before he holed out.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Am I wrong in assuming that the location within which you can practice between holes is limited? Rule 7-2 limits that practice to an area on or near the green of the hole that you just finished playing, any putting green, or the next teeing ground, before you actually tee off. Also, you can't practice from a hazard.

7-2. During Round
    A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole. Between the play of two holes, a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near:
    (a) the putting green of the hole last played,
    (b) any practice putting green, or
    (c) the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round, provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play
    Strokes made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has been decided, are not practice strokes.

…..

Penalty for Breach of Rule 7-2:

Match play — Loss of hole; Stroke play — Two strokes. In the event of a breach between the play of two holes, the penalty applies to the next hole.

Note 1: A practice swing is not a practice stroke and may be taken at any place, provided the player does not breach the Rules.

…………………

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post

You are correct, once you have finished the hole you can practice chips and putts. I interpreted Martin's original post as he was hitting multiple balls from the same location before he holed out.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

No, I don't think you are wrong.

I seem to remember a decision that clarified the "near" part of the rule.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Thanks, John. That was my impression as well.

The putting green exception is a good one. I recall that in our club championship at Oakfield (Halifax area), a few people became agitated when I practiced on the putting green between the 9th and 10th holes. There was a backlog on the 10th tee, and no local rule had been issued prohibiting such practice. Some of the boys insisted that I had breached the rule prohibiting practicing during the round. I disagreed. The pro confirmed my understanding. It's a good rule to know!

No, I don't think you are wrong.

I seem to remember a decision that clarified the "near" part of the rule.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    In the OVGA tournaments they have a local rule that you can't practice around or on the green of the hole just completed.

yeah, I'm pretty sure that is what he meant. I was just telling him that there is way around it and yes, I've been reading up on the rules. I'm serious about golf this year. I'm playing for fun but I want to keep a legit cap this year and I want to follow all the rules... not foot wedge this year
    willy

what is the tourney is be playing on a 9 hole course and you are gonig to play that same hole again in 2 hours, same pin placement?? Are you still allowed to practice putting? That seems unfair...
    willy

I'd have to look that one up but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a decision to cover that since it is pretty unusual.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    I'd have to look that one up but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a decision to cover that since it is pretty unusual.
    Since a stipulated round is 18 holes and the rules allow chipping on or near the last green played, a practice green or the next teeing ground, I see no reason why this practice should be restricted because the course is only 9 holes.

7-1b/7 does not cover the exact scenario above, but is close enough in that it covers practice between holes when the competition is over 36 holes on one day, and where all holes will be played again. Practice IS allowed.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Is there not a rule defining "practice swings"? I thought I read last year that you could not take a "full" swing--all power etc on or near the tee-box during a game?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Other than the rules about improving your lie, touching a hazard, there are no explicit rules about practice swings.

What I think you are referring to is the situation where a player is on the tee box waiting and hits a "practice ball" into a lake/forest or other area that is out of play. That is not permitted since it falls outside of the definition of what is allowed that Mike posted earlier.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    A practice swing is not a practice stroke and may be taken at any place, provided the player does not breach the Rules.
    The term Swing does not appear in the definitions, but Stroke does.
    Stroke
    A "stroke" is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he has not made a stroke.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    A practice swing is not a practice stroke and may be taken at any place, provided the player does not breach the Rules.
    The term Swing does not appear in the definitions, but Stroke does.
    Stroke
    A "stroke" is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he has not made a stroke.
    I don’t understand. Doesn’t this mean that you can take a practice swing as long as you are not hitting a ball? I don’t see the difference between practicing a chip or a putt on a finished hole and hitting a practice drive in a lake or field. Both seem the same to me.

Can anyone elaborate?

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I don’t understand. Doesn’t this mean that you can take a practice swing as long as you are not hitting a ball?
    Yes. A practice swing does not contact a ball. A stroke does contact a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I don’t see the difference between practicing a chip or a putt on a finished hole and hitting a practice drive in a lake or field. Both seem the same to me.
    7-2 is clear on this.

7-2. During Round
    A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole. Between the play of two holes, a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near:
    (a) the putting green of the hole last played,
    (b) any practice putting green, or
    (c) the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round, provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play
    Strokes made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has been decided, are not practice strokes.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Ty
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Thread Information