CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Baxter

What will happen First

With the Leafs missing the Playoff's again and Ottawa in again. It brings me to my question...

What will happen 1st...

Ottawa missing the Playoff's or Toronto Making the Playoff's or will it happen in the same year...

I think Toronto is at least 4 years away, maybe 5..At that Time with the Cap, age and a few mistakes by Ottawa..I think it will happen in the same Year...2013

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    ottawa is a few years away form missing the playoffs, while the leafs will make it next year.

the #1 problem for the leafs this year not making the playoffs was using raycroft for so many games at start of season, if toskla had been playing right from the get go they would have made it ( just barely for sure, but would have made it)

now next year they will make it i am sure, again just barely, and nothing will come of it, but that is another question

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfott View Post
    ottawa is a few years away form missing the playoffs, while the leafs will make it next year.

the #1 problem for the leafs this year not making the playoffs was using raycroft for so many games at start of season, if toskla had been playing right from the get go they would have made it ( just barely for sure, but would have made it)

now next year they will make it i am sure, again just barely, and nothing will come of it, but that is another question
    Your right about Raycrap! Toronto needs a decent back up though cant see Toskla beeing able to play 70+ games.

Im not sure why you think Ottawa is in a downfall and will miss the playoffs in a couple of years. Redden will be gone and probebly the likes of a few more on the d next year...they will have some cap space in the summer to make this d better. up front they have Heatley,Spezza,alfie and fisher locked in, so after this year I think Ottawa gets better for next and a few years to come. I would understand your statement if this was a team with players no one wants, but Ottawa has players other teams need/want so it is easy for them to shake things up the get what they need to be a better team.

They way the "New" NHL is I think any team can miss or make the play-offs at any time...but I just dont see Ottawa getting worse, but only better in the next few years. But I guess only time will tell

i just feel historically they are nearing their decline. This happens to every team, Ottawa has been a good team for a while, and they just never were able to push for it enough, i think IMHO that it was/is due to timid management, but hey who knows.

anyway for the next few years they are ok, but they have some high priced talent so will be hard to hold everyone and i just feel they have done the best they will.

I am not saying they will be in the toilet in the next year or 2, but i don’t think they will really get any better.

Of course a total shake up could do anything, but there are also off ice issues to thin about, melynk and his legal issues. economic factors etc. this team is still the only Canadian team who does not sell out every home game, that is not a good stat.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    i just feel historically they are nearing their decline. This happens to every team, Ottawa has been a good team for a while, and they just never were able to push for it enough, i think IMHO that it was/is due to timid management, but hey who knows.

anyway for the next few years they are ok, but they have some high priced talent so will be hard to hold everyone and i just feel they have done the best they will.

I am not saying they will be in the toilet in the next year or 2, but i don’t think they will really get any better.

Of course a total shake up could do anything, but there are also off ice issues to thin about, melynk and his legal issues. economic factors etc. this team is still the only Canadian team who does not sell out every home game, that is not a good stat.
    I would not worry about Melnyk and the fans coming out in Ottawa, they are 5th in the league in Attendance.
    1. MTL 21,273
    2.DET 20,066
    3.TBL 19,876
    4.TOR 19,487
    5.OTT 19,372

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007

I will wait to see about that. Ottawa sports fans have proven that when a team does poorly, they will not go.

and just to bring it up, they have yet to secure a playoff spot for this year of course.

Baxter
    I will wait to see about that. Ottawa sports fans have proven that when a team does poorly, they will not go.

and just to bring it up, they have yet to secure a playoff spot for this year of course.
    Perhaps you could provide your proof?

Even the CFL when in Ottawa...People showing up was not the issue Joke ownership was....The 67's have always drawn well and with Mr.Hunt as the owner
    they has been at the Top of the OHL since he took over.
    The Sens have always been a tough ticket..Maybe because they were New they sold tickets than they turned into a winning Team.....The only thing that I can think of thay did not do well was the Ottawa Baseball...and that might have been because of the Expo's doing bad....The last couple of Years no Expo's no fans...

well the hockey team has never yet sold out a full season, as i said the only Canadian team not to do so.

the cfl team has twice folded, and yes ownership was crap, but yes fans showing up was a problem, quite a big problem

the baseball team, need i even mention anything about them?

yes the 67s draw well, one of the only teams in ottawa to do so.

if the sens are not winning they will not draw, now only time will tell if this is true, but i firmly believe it and stand by that.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Well, I was going to stay out of this, but because you used the word historically, I am obliged as a history major to respond. Those quality teams you speak of, historically, do not go downhill because they've been good for a long time. They go downhill because they can no longer hold onto their core of players. That is something Ottawa has done a great job of doing. They have held on to key players, and replaced departing players with a steady stream of quality young draft picks, who continue to step in and make immediate impact on the team. It is a quality organization from the bottom up, and though they may not have won a cup, they show no signs of downfall. They have, in short, avoided many of the pitfalls that have, historically, led teams to slump after a few solid years.

Also, there are many good teams who Other teams have been in the running every year for as long as the Sens, and show no signs of decline. The Devils, Red Wings, and Stars are all good examples. They may have missed one or two playoffs, but they didn't really have a 'downturn'. They've gotten back up after those years and turned themselves right back into contenders. While it's certainly possible that Ottawa might miss the playoffs in the near future, that alone does not constitute a downfall, or the beginning of a rebuilding process.

well the hockey team has never yet sold out a full season, as i said the only Canadian team not to do so.

the cfl team has twice folded, and yes ownership was crap, but yes fans showing up was a problem, quite a big problem

if the sens are not winning they will not draw, now only time will tell if this is true, but i firmly believe it and stand by that.
    Um, The Sens draw incredibly well. Do they sell out their 20000 seats every night? No, but they come darn close every night. It's a lot harder to sell out when you actually have fans buying your tickets rather than corporate schmucks with unlimited bankrolls trying to shmooze clients...who generally miss the first ten minutes of every period. I'd say the Sens ticket sales are in pretty good shape.

Ooh..the baseball team folded. What a shock! Who's the marketing genius who decided Ottawa was a baseball town...that's what I'd like to know.

As for the Renegades, I'd actually be curious to see their ticket sales. I know for the couple of games that I went to the stands were pretty full, but I'm not sure how consistent they were.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    If you follow the link to the ESPN attendance stats you will notice that only 10 teams in the league sold out 100% or more of their tickets available this year ( I assume standing room tickets taken into account). Ottawa is second at 104.7% of tickets to seats sold.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attend..._pct&year=2007
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    31 or 32 sellouts in a row right now.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Did you go to any Lynx games? If you did, you'd see how the city royally put it to that organization with respect to the parking situation. Once the parking was reduced, no affordances were made to supplement the situation with additional public transit.

Also, it should not be forgotten that the demise of the Expos had a significant impact on the average fan's relationship with the Lynx as well. Having the affiliation bounce around from Baltimore to Philadelphia didn't help over the last few years.

One of the only teams? I'm not sure what that means. What teams are you making this comparison to?

I may have agreed with you ten years ago, but the fan base has now been established. Case in point, I tried finding an establishment to watch the second and third periods at today, and I could not find a seat at three sports bars. Kids who were teens 10 years ago now have the money to spend on a handful of games a year. Season ticket subscriptions are at an all time high, and I believe there is now a waiting list to subscribe. I'm confident that missing the playoffs or having an off year or three will not threaten the attendance nor the financial stability of the team, especially if the Canadian dollar continues to perform as it currently is, or something close to its current rate.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Baxter
    It sure looks like golfott is a guy that...wishes he was not living in Ottawa. I for one miss that Great City.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bullis View Post
    With the Leafs missing the Playoff's again and Ottawa in again.
    At this point, it is presumptuous to say that Ottawa is IN the playoffs. As of Sunday morning, they can finish first or OUT of the playoffs.

i could take it or leave it frankly.

no better or worse than many other cities i have lived in.

certainly not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bullis View Post
    It sure looks like golfott is a guy that...wishes he was not living in Ottawa. I for one miss that Great City.

i could take it or leave it frankly.

no better or worse than many other cities i have lived in.

certainly not the best.
    Many of us enjoy it.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    At this point, it is presumptuous to say that Ottawa is IN the playoffs. As of Sunday morning, they can finish first or OUT of the playoffs.
    You are certainly correct !!

They might need more than just One win........................
    From today's Ottawa Sun:
    http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Sena...48691-sun.html

"If the Senators don't earn three points in their final three regular-season games and the Capitals win all three of theirs, there is a chance Ottawa could miss the playoffs." (Ottawa Sun)
    Reason being if Ottawa only wins (1) game and Washington all (3) games, then both teams will finished tied with 94 points. Washington could get the final playoff spot as they beat Ottawa in the head-to-head regular season games...........

They would have to go through the following Tie Breaking Procedure:
    Tie Breaking Procedure (NHL.com)
    If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:
    1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
    2. The greater number of games won.
    3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
    4. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.

This could be a wild week !!!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    You are certainly correct !!

They might need more than just One win........................
    From today's Ottawa Sun:
    http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Sena...48691-sun.html

"If the Senators don't earn three points in their final three regular-season games and the Capitals win all three of theirs, there is a chance Ottawa could miss the playoffs." (Ottawa Sun)
    Reason being if Ottawa only wins (1) game and Washington all (3) games, then both teams will finished tied with 94 points. Washington could get the final playoff spot as they beat Ottawa in the head-to-head regular season games...........

They would have to go through the following Tie Breaking Procedure:
    Tie Breaking Procedure (NHL.com)
    If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:
    1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
    2. The greater number of games won.
    3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
    4. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.

This could be a wild week !!!
    It looks like you're right, but that's very odd. I distinctly remember a few networks saying that Ottawa just needed one point to clinch a playoff spot.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    There are so many different scenarios right now to early to think about.Remember if Boston or the Flyers lose there last 3 games,then Ottawa is in.

Flyers plays Pens 2 games and 1 against Devils.3 tough games.

Boston plays Buffalo,Devils and Sens.

Putter sundog is on a distinguished road

1)33 sell outs of 41 for a young team is not that bad.The rest of the games they had over 19,000 per game.

2)There 5 in attendance.

3)Don't for get the have many key players locked up for years.Aslo 5 prospects who will likely be able to start next year in ottawa.

4)Then you add the $20 million they will have in cap space.They can go out and get players they need.

Thread Information