CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hogan fans

Beebop

Cool Hogan fans

Any devoted users out there who could lend some advice on the Pro's, CFT's & Apex Forged. I am a tad mixed up on seller's advice.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    The Apex Pros are forged cavities made from carbon steel. They are very similar to the Apex Plus models which preceded them, but have a slightly wider sole and deeper cavity. They have minimal progressive offset. They are slightly more forgiving than the Hogan blades. Very nice sticks. aimed at mid to low handicap players, but really playable by all. They have been around for a couple of years but are still a current model with Hogan.
    The CFTs were released new this year and have been around almost a year now. They are made of titanium and are designed for pure forgiveness. Aimed at high handicap players - think 'Callaway' with 'Hogan' stamped on it. I have not hit these, but I would imagine they are of pretty nice quality and should work for high handicappers.
    Apex Forged is tougher. Almost all Hogan irons are forged. I'm going to assume you mean the forged blades. Apex forged blades have been around for years in many different forms... original '72s, PCs, Grinds, Apex IIs, Redlines... I could go on and on. Value in those can vary greatly, from $50 to $300, depending on the model and condition. The two current models of forged blades are the '99 Apex blades, released 5 years ago but still current, and the Apex 50ths. The standard Apex blades are very nice sticks and are aimed at low handicappers. The Hogan 50ths are a limited Edition Commemorative set released in limited numbers (1953 to be exact) to celebrate the 50th aniversary of the Hogan company. I would think most would end up in a rack on someone's wall (like their predecessors, the 40th Anniversary model), but I would guess they are also a very nice playable iron (but playing them will significantly decrease their future value...).
    If you were to give me some info on the clubs you are looking at... markings etc... I could probably tell you exactly what they are and what they are worth.
    Last edited by 1972Apex; 11-07-2003 at 10:46 PM.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beebop
    Any devoted users out there who could lend some advice on the Pro's, CFT's & Apex Forged. I am a tad mixed up on seller's advice.
    The CFTs are the more forgiving of the Hogan line, followed by the Pro and then the Apex forged blades. The Pros are also forged. The CFTs have a Titanium face and are not forged. The Apex and Apex Pros ahve a very thin line while the CFT is a wider line like the Callaways or other forgiving iron. Higher handicappers would normally play the CFTs like any other forgiving club.

Here's a review of the Edge Plus, the model before the Pros, which I have and really like (14 handicap):

http://www.golfclubreview.com/hogan_apex_plus.htm

They used to have a Apex Edge blades, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore

I tried out the CFTs when they became availavle this spring, and although they seemed to hit ok, I couldn't get past the wide look of the club as it set up behind the ball. The Edge Plus (Pro) has a much cleaner line and to me much more easy to look down on.

I'm sure Proforged will have some more to add, a bit more in depth besides my "I like 'em"!!

edited!! - Hahaha he beat me to it!

Check out the Hogan website in the US, the Canadian site doesn't even list the CFTs. www.benhogan.com
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

"I'm sure Proforged will have some more to add, a bit more in depth besides my "I like 'em"!!

edited!! - Hahaha he beat me to it!"

LMAO! That is too funny! Am I really that predictable?

Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    "I'm sure Proforged will have some more to add, a bit more in depth besides my "I like 'em"!!

edited!! - Hahaha he beat me to it!"

LMAO! That is too funny! Am I really that predictable?
    I just remember playing that round at Golf-O-Max with you and the passion with which you talked about Hoagn irons when you saw me using the Apex Plus set.

That and the BANG that monster driver made!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Beebop

Great input

You both clarified my fogginess. I did know that forged were harder to hit therefore have been looking everywhere for the +s, they are keepers it seems. I then started leaning to the Pro's but then got confused with should it be the CFTs. Finished the year with 19 hdcp so certainly don't need clubs that will make me regress. Thought I read somewhere that the CFTs marked up somewhat like Mizuno. Anyway, have been follower of ebay.ca & U.S., prices seem range C$ low 500.00 after shipping. 2 big sellers, in NS and AB, 2 in States are 3ball and rockbottom (these are mint condition class). Desicions, decisions. Obliged.

Forged is not necessarily harder to hit. The main issue is in clubhead design. For example the Ben Hogan Apex Edges of about two years ago are forged and are ridiculously easy to hit. Apex Pluses are less forgiving, but are okay for a 19 and as you improve the clubs would grow with you. You should be able to get Apex Pluses pretty reasonably these days.
    I happen to be one of those people who believes that cast shovels might be a bit easier to hit, but do not allow for the feedback needed to improve your game. That's why I lean towards blades or smaller forged cavity backs. Mind you I do have a set of Acer XDS Pros that are a lot of fun to play....
    The most important thing is to get a good quality set of irons with shafts of the proper flex and length for your swing. You can have the most forgiving set of cast heads in the world and if the shafts are wrong all that forgiveness won't help you one bit.

Beebop,

I started this year with an index of 18. I know sit at 13.7 with a low of 12.5 thanks to some pretty low games in the middle of the summer. I've had my Hogans for two years, and with the exception of some forgiveness on mis-hits, your hands sting like crazy, I have no problem using them, and as you get better, they will grow with you.

There is nothing like a well hit shot with these irons, it's like a hot knife through butter, you never feel like you even hit the ball.

Curse the cold weather!!!!!
    Colby

Beebop

Pointing out the obvious

Here I am thinking of saving in buying off the shelf but as you stated the fit is the important thing. Guess it is prudent to check it out, perhaps getting a measure then work on a reasonable build cost is the way to go. Any reasonable priced builders that either of you would recommend? The point of hand vibration due to bad contact is sort like shock treatments for memory, eventually we learn. My swing has created a bit of excessive high ball, am also at the age that my distance is fading (no pun) but believe it is time for some finesse. I believe most irons are built at 2 degree, perhaps going to 1 might be another answer. Obliged.

Here I am thinking of saving in buying off the shelf but as you stated the fit is the important thing. Guess it is prudent to check it out, perhaps getting a measure then work on a reasonable build cost is the way to go. Any reasonable priced builders that either of you would recommend? The point of hand vibration due to bad contact is sort like shock treatments for memory, eventually we learn. My swing has created a bit of excessive high ball, am also at the age that my distance is fading (no pun) but believe it is time for some finesse. I believe most irons are built at 2 degree, perhaps going to 1 might be another answer. Obliged.
    I bought mine off the rack, and had them "fitted" by the T&L guys. Nothing like the experience you would receive from a custom club fitter I believe. They checked length, grip and lie angle.

For my next set of Hogans, yep I'm hooked, I may take a trip to the Toronto area and visit the Ben Hogan fitting facility - http://www.benhogan.ca/fifittingcentre.html

Good luck with it
    Colby

Putter Boss is on a distinguished road

Ben HOgans

Hi all,

I am new here and a lover of the world's most repectful game. I however, have a dilemma that I hope someone can be of assistance.

I am thinking of buying a set of Ben Hogans. Either the CFT's or the Pro's. I cannot decide what to buy at the moment.
    My handicap is a 15. I know that the CFT's are easier to hit, but I really like the classic look of the Pro's. Also the fact that they are forged.

Can someone help me out in making a decision that I can be happy with?

Thanks everyone. I love this game !!

Boss
    "There are n sh rtcuts in the Quest for Perfecti n"

Quote: "I am thinking of buying a set of Ben Hogans. Either the CFT's or the Pro's. I cannot decide what to buy at the moment.
    My handicap is a 15. I know that the CFT's are easier to hit, but I really like the classic look of the Pro's. Also the fact that they are forged.
    Can someone help me out in making a decision that I can be happy with?"

This is almost too easy. Buy the Pros. As a 15 handicap you really are too on the cusp of being too good for the CFTs, and if you get any better you'll outgrow them very quickly. You should be able to handle the Pros and you'll never tire of them. Plus they will be much less 'clunky' in the short game, which is one of the key areas you'll need to improve to take your game to the next level.
    On a personal level the CFTs are butt ugly, while the Pros are beautiful. That's worth 2-3 shots a round alone IMHO.

I have to agree with Proforged.

I was a 20-21 handicap when I bought my Apex Plus irons (replaced by the Pros) Since then I've worked my index down to a low of 12.5 near the end of the season last year. You know when you hit a bad shot, but the good shots feel like nothing you've ever felt before!
    Colby

Putter Boss is on a distinguished road
    I appreciate all the help and second opinions. I actually went to Chuck Browns and tested both of them out.
    I have made my decision and i am going with the Pros.

I am sure this is a great decision. By the way, the guys at the place where i bought them are shipping the Pros today and wanted to know if i will be keeping the CFT's or return them.

Are there any interested buyers out there that anyone knows of?

Thanks,

Boss
    "There are n sh rtcuts in the Quest for Perfecti n"

Thread Information