100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gap Wedge klima is on a distinguished road

Why does everyone quote Golftown pricing?

As the title says. Why does everyone state the Golftown price of an item when they're trying to sell it in the classifieds? Why should Golftown's inflated pricing affect what you sell your item for or what someone is willing to pay?

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Just got back from the States. I find the differences in prices amusing given the dollar parity (or close to it). Electronics are identically priced, if not a bit cheaper here. Most everything else is still a gouge deal. The golf stuff is still more expensive. So are cars. I will pay a 5-10% premium to buy in Canada but after that it is simply a rip off.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    i love this post.

it is so funny to see a lot of the regulars here post a price for a used item comparing it to the price of a new one at GT. they say things like "hardly used" or " like new condition" then ask for just slightly less than GT. thing is GT offers new items, with warranty etc. it is really not a comparable at all.

to compare you must go to another used site and use that value.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    People list store prices relative to their prices in order to show the savings you are making buying used vs. going to the store and buying it new.

It's up to the potential buyer to determine if the savings are worth it.

to compare you must go to another used site and use that value.
    And their price will be relative to the current new market price aswell. Depreciation is a combination of price sold when new, condition (incl. warranty info etc) & supply/demand ratio.

-

That being said, I do find it funny when people list dated prices. i.e. selling a 905R today for 100$ and describing it as originally selling for 499.99. Not really relevant info considering they no longer fetch that price new and the only proper number to list would be the current market value of a new item.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    People can ask what they want and post any true market value.

Remember some collectable items can go for a lot more than suggested retail.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    USually I check the prices in my blue book (meaning EBAY).

The I decide if it is worth it. Some stuff might be hard to find or I really want it or.... so I pay accordingly.

my point is that when someone lists a club, say a putter for simple example, and says " it is like new" and then prices it at close to a GT price. well GT it is new, i can buy it there and have the ability to return it, have them warranty it etc. used to me is that, used. anything that is used in my book has to be at least 30% less than it currently sells for in store, even if it was bought new just yesterday. It is a joke to post " you save the taxes" i see so many things that people are asking virtually the same as the store price, specially when these stores have sales just about every week. it si simply people trying to ge tthere money back. same as wehn someone posts " just asking for what i paid for it" for something they bought used from someone else, drives me nuts. you bought it, used it and now decide yoiu do not want it, you should therefore take a hit for this.

maybe lots do not agree, but that is IMHO the way buying used items works.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    you have a problem with people trying to get their money back?? maybe people post the golftown price because they want to over value the club so when someone does lowball then they are actually going to end up getting what they thought they would?? I personally don't have a problem people posting the GT price because I just check and see what the item is going for on ebay and then I PM them and tell them that hey, its going for this much on ebay... so lets do it for that price.
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by golfott View Post
    my point is that when someone lists a club, say a putter for simple example, and says " it is like new" and then prices it at close to a GT price. well GT it is new, i can buy it there and have the ability to return it, have them warranty it etc. used to me is that, used. anything that is used in my book has to be at least 30% less than it currently sells for in store, even if it was bought new just yesterday.
    Do me a favour, buy my "NEW Mustang", at $33,000. Drive it for one day and sell it to me "USED" for $33,000 - 30% ( $9900.00 ) so that comes out to $23,100 for a car driven off the lot and sold the next day! Man I love your figures Let me know when we can make this deal, I will cancel my order at the local dealership!

To each his own when it comes to listing a piece of equipment they want to sell. If it is priced too high for you then you will not buy it. But someone else might buy it at the listed price. If it doesn't sell then the seller always has the option to lower his asking price. But he sure can not raise his asking price once he lists his item.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

7 Iron Seanemmetttimot is on a distinguished road
    My take is I usually have a decent idea of how much an item is WORTH versus how MUCH I want to pay for it......the thing that always gets me is when people try to sell an item that you know they paid too much for......

You know they paid too much for it because they tell you in their ad/post......FOR SALE X, PAID $1600, selling for $1200......

And my thought is I don't care how much YOU overpaid for it....what's fair market value.......

We're all trying to save a buck. I agree on the price of electronics.....funny how some items in the U.S. are cheaper (clothes, shoes, BEER) and some like computers, etc are the same if not cheaper here.

Was in the GT in Kingston today and to see prices IN CANADA for name brand NEW drivers like Callaway or TM or Ping for around $200 is mind blowing.

ask your dealer what the average depreciation is on a new car (specially a north american one) he will most likely tell you about 30%, (if he is honest that is)

as well, if you bought something from GT one day, and are selling it the next then there is something fishy going on, as you can return it you know.

if you are selling it here, it is either past the return window, something is wrong with it and the store wil not take it back, or you are a phony.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    if you are selling it here, it is either past the return window, something is wrong with it and the store wil not take it back, or you are a phony.

Oh come on, so i have a new in the wrapper nike sumo hybrid for sale here, got it as a gift no recepit and am trying to sell it on here to give some one a good deal, if it does not sell for what i am asking then i will return it, and get a store credit

So of those options you posted which am I?? you really need to be careful how you like to generalize things and if you don;t like how things are sold on this board then don't use it. Then it should not bother you any more

Just my 2 cents

Way to have faith in your fellow golfers buddy... Did you ever think that maybe it was a gift OR it was bought with store credit and the person just wants CASH. How about it was used for 1 day or two and its like new.. but not exactly now and the person doesn't want to try to attempt it as it maybe obvious that it was used even if its very slightly.
    willy

if it was used for one or 2 days and it can not be returned then it is not like new, it is like used.

if it was a gift, then ask for a gift receipt or return it for credit if you want full value. if not, then sell it for a fair price, which in my mind is at least 30% less than retail. if you want to ask more, hey go ahead, but I think it is wrong, to say the least.

and faith in my fellow golfers? what does that have to do with anything. i don’t know you, so I have nothing bad to say about you, but on the other hand I don’t know you so my faith is limited until I do know you.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    ask your dealer what the average depreciation is on a new car (specially a north american one) he will most likely tell you about 30%, (if he is honest that is)

as well, if you bought something from GT one day, and are selling it the next then there is something fishy going on, as you can return it you know.

I can quarantee you a car will not depreciate 30% after one day, as you suggest all golf equipment should.

I can tell you this and this is a fact. I bought a used set of Ping G2 irons last year. I went back today to get a trade estimate and those used irons barely depreciated 30%. Now I am the second owner and they are far from new.

Calling sellers on here phonies, or that they are selling defective equipment is really not a wise thing to do. Some day you may wish to sell something and people remember comments like that. So all buyers will be wary of your goods when you list something, as you have bascially set the bar on used equipment being listed here
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    To get the "real" used sale price I will used "Appraised by Geoff Johnston & Co."
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Golfott,

I see things differently. I have never met any of the members on this board. I trust all of them, even the one that I sometime argue with...lol. I have lots of faith in them and unless they do wrong to me or somebody else I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

You would be surprise how many people here buy clubs and sell them before having use them. I could name at least 5 members (great people) that have bought stuff this winter and are selling it before they play with it. It is their right to buy it and sell it because they got a better deal on something else. Lots of time they will say, I will sell it for what I bought it, just trying to get my money back. This is a fair statement...

Another thing, I like to know what the price at Golftown is. It just gives me something else to compare with. If you don't like the price, just skip over. If they are asking too much, offer them less and see where it goes.

By the way, I paid one of the member here for something last week and I told him to drop it to me sometime next week or the week after. I trust him and have NO worry in the world.

There are a lot of great people here.... you guys are going to make me cry...

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    OK, thats it, group hug time
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    my point is that when someone lists a club, say a putter for simple example, and says " it is like new" and then prices it at close to a GT price. well GT it is new, i can buy it there and have the ability to return it, have them warranty it etc. used to me is that, used. anything that is used in my book has to be at least 30% less than it currently sells for in store, even if it was bought new just yesterday. It is a joke to post " you save the taxes" i see so many things that people are asking virtually the same as the store price, specially when these stores have sales just about every week. it si simply people trying to ge tthere money back. same as wehn someone posts " just asking for what i paid for it" for something they bought used from someone else, drives me nuts. you bought it, used it and now decide yoiu do not want it, you should therefore take a hit for this.

so basicly the Scotty that I picked up at the start of the winter, have putted maybe 10 balls with it, find it to long and have just looked at it the rest of the time I should not try and get what I paid for it?!

I just really dont understand why people even care and have to comment on stupid things like this, If someone in your opinion is asking to much because they are using gt prices to compare.... then oh well, life does go on.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Golfott,

I see things differently. I have never met any of the members on this board. I trust all of them, even the one that I sometime argue with...lol. I have lots of faith in them and unless they do wrong to me or somebody else I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

You would be surprise how many people here buy clubs and sell them before having use them. I could name at least 5 members (great people) that have bought stuff this winter and are selling it before they play with it. It is their right to buy it and sell it because they got a better deal on something else. Lots of time they will say, I will sell it for what I bought it, just trying to get my money back. This is a fair statement...

Another thing, I like to know what the price at Golftown is. It just gives me something else to compare with. If you don't like the price, just skip over. If they are asking too much, offer them less and see where it goes.

By the way, I paid one of the member here for something last week and I told him to drop it to me sometime next week or the week after. I trust him and have NO worry in the world.

hey...we've met before
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

well i am just stating how i feel, so i don’t think it is necessary to jump all over me,

and i have bought and sold many many many items here and many other places, i have bought things and sold them in the same day, and when I have i have always sold for less than i bought for. that is my belief. I don’t think you need to make your money back you bought it, now you take a loss for selling it.
    i think it is fair and i stick by that,

everyone else can do whatever they like, just like i can voice my opinion on it as well,

free country and all

if i don’t like it, i won’t buy as suggested, and if you don’t like what i say, then ignore it as well, just as i will ignore others who continue on

have a nice day

Hey Jeff, that is right. Thinking about it, I have met 2 or 3 members but not for more than 5 minutes...lol.

Buying, trading, etc... that is too much fun...

exactly, unless it is some how a collectors item ( which for some reason some people thin scotties are, but that is another matter), to use the above car analogy, you buy a car, sit it in your garage for the whole winter and now want to sell it, you should get the full dealer price for it? i think not

Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew View Post
    so basicly the Scotty that I picked up at the start of the winter, have putted maybe 10 balls with it, find it to long and have just looked at it the rest of the time I should not try and get what I paid for it?!

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    I would say that almost all putters, woods and alot of the irons have been hit at golftown, either by the person who bought it or by some one else testing it before it has left the store , so i guess golftown then should sell at 30% off on all equipment?

I know i have hit alot there and bought very little

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I think most people quote GT prices because it is the most accesible for the majority of us. You can walk in, buy what you want without delay and without incurring any shipping or duty and brokerage fees.

I find ebay is not the best gauge for a value of a club. Most, not all, post things on ebay hoping for a quick sale to pocket some quick cash. Unlike what big mac may thing, I don't have an appraisal company , but I browse other sites, try to find the same club in as close to the same condition as what I may be selling and adjust my asking price accordingly.

But when a club is like new, with like new meaning it's been used but you can hardly tell, I may post the GT price just to show potential buyers what it would cost them to buy it new, considering the item I'm selling is as close to new as possible.

Now as for trusting other forum members when they sell that an item, that is not the topic at hand, so let's keep it civil and on topic please.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Baxter
    Golfott....After reading all your posts...I think what you are trying to say...If something is bought and it's used it should sell for way less than retail...I understand this thought and would like to agree with you on this thought.
    But it does not always work that way.
    A person buy's an item, givies it a try, than not wanting to keep it. Perhaps he bought it in April and is not able to use it until May 15. Pass the refund date, so he can't take it back. He used it for a couple of putts on the carpet..So it is used...I see nothing wrong with saying " Bought this new because I liked it. After trying it, I decide I don't. Bought at GT for $400.00 Used it indoors and it's not the putter for me. Would like to get $375.00 plus you save the tax as well.... A Great savings for a "New" used putter.

Golfott you might be better to avoid the sell section if you are looking for a large discount on "slightly" used items as you have a different out look on things than most of us...I believe most guys are not trying to help fellow board members lose money...we would rather HELP out a fellow member and buy it if we like it and have the person not lose his shirt..Does this make sense??? I hope it does, as it's what I think I see..Try eBay for larger discounts....
    There is a collectors market for Scotty Cameron's and it doesn't matter if you like it or not. It's out there and it seems to be a very strong market place with thousands of collectors or dummies depending how you wish to look at it...I for one now have 17 and I just started COLLECTING these in August of 07 and I love it so far..I have over paid for a few early ones and have been able to get some great deals as well. I also have headcovers..Those I am losing interest in....time will tell if I lose money or not.

That is what a FREE Market Place is for...Sellers can ask the moon if they want...If there is a buyer that is willing to pay the moon..it's because that buyer thinks its the right price for him. I have bought a few items from the good people of this board and it was all done on trust..They all trusted me that I would pay for the item they were selling and I trusted that they would send it to me....The only people I have ever met on this board are the people I met to give them money for something they were selling...So far I have had nothing but a GREAT time dealing with these people and hope to be able to buy more items that are offered at what I think is a good price to me..and that maybe $5 below retail, $250 below or $100 more. if I like the price I'll pay if not I'll wait for something else...Very simple...

Good Luck

Also, lets say I'm going to buy a Oddesy black putter for $345 and DOnny happens to be selling one in near mint condition that he bought a year ago. He could list it for $275 and I would seriously consider buying it because i was going buy it anyway and it saves me a ton of cash. What waranty are you speaking about??? Wether I buy from donny or golftown there is still a waranty on the club. Sure I would check ebay just to make sure but if it was close enough I would buy from him.

I was looking for a putter a while ago, SC cicra, and was going to walk into golftown and blow over $400 on it. Then i checked ebay and it was around $275 so I was going to buy it there. Instead I paid around that and bought it slightly used from golfbum. Why do I care if a club is slightly used if it puts cash in my buddies pocket if its something i'm going to buy anyway? I got the putter from him, used... and it was in awesome shape. Maybe he drops his price 3-4 times before someones buys it.. but I'm buying it now, needed it asap so why wouldn't I buy it from him close to retail so he doesn't get screwed?
    willy

yes, exactly, thank you.

$345 new, near mint but used = $275. that is certainly a fair mark down for slightly used. $400 down to $275, again a fair mark down.

good point

seems to have gotten far of topic i suppose, so i will recuse any further answers here. i was just providing my opinion, we all differ on opinions, and that is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    Also, lets say I'm going to buy a Oddesy black putter for $345 and DOnny happens to be selling one in near mint condition that he bought a year ago. He could list it for $275 and I would seriously consider buying it because i was going buy it anyway and it saves me a ton of cash. What waranty are you speaking about??? Wether I buy from donny or golftown there is still a waranty on the club. Sure I would check ebay just to make sure but if it was close enough I would buy from him.

I was looking for a putter a while ago, SC cicra, and was going to walk into golftown and blow over $400 on it. Then i checked ebay and it was around $275 so I was going to buy it there. Instead I paid around that and bought it slightly used from golfbum. Why do I care if a club is slightly used if it puts cash in my buddies pocket if its something i'm going to buy anyway? I got the putter from him, used... and it was in awesome shape. Maybe he drops his price 3-4 times before someones buys it.. but I'm buying it now, needed it asap so why wouldn't I buy it from him close to retail so he doesn't get screwed?

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    I always use the PGA value guide (http://valueguide.pga.com/), but I see nothing wrong with trying to recoup a good portion of your money if you've bought something and have barely used it.

If you don't want to pay what someone is asking, move along. They have the right to ask what they're asking and you have every right to not be interested.

Heaven forbid that you buy a pricey club for retail and then regret it. One of the fantastic things about this board is that we all share a love for the game, and many of us are equipment nuts (some more than others), and many of us will happily buy lightly used equipment for even a small savings off what the product is new.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    I always use the PGA value guide (http://valueguide.pga.com/), but I see nothing wrong with trying to recoup a good portion of your money if you've bought something and have barely used it.

If you don't want to pay what someone is asking, move along. They have the right to ask what they're asking and you have every right to not be interested.

Heaven forbid that you buy a pricey club for retail and then regret it. One of the fantastic things about this board is that we all share a love for the game, and many of us are equipment nuts (some more than others), and many of us will happily buy lightly used equipment for even a small savings off what the product is new.

I believe this was a shot at you Mr. St. Michael.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information