CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Can someone learn me to putt?

I need help. Bad. Played a round the other day and had probably my best ballstriking round ever. Only missed 4 fairways all day, and hit 10 GIR (not spectacular, but all my misses were fairly close...fringe type thing). I really didn't get into trouble all day, and put myself in great position to score well. But I couldn't putt to save my life. Now, the course I was playing did not have the smoothest greens which didn't help, but it's no excuse for the kind of numbers I was putting up. Only 2 one putts all day, and i think I ended up with 5 three putts. I need to fix whatever is wrong with my putting. The thing is, I'm pretty sure it's not the actual stroke. Either I have a problem with concentration, or I just don't take enough time to line up my putts. Obviously I'm having a problem with weight, because good weight control should eliminate three putts. Ugh. help me?

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Do you practise the exercise I gave you at Renfrew? Where you putt looking at the hole NOT at the ball. Keep doing this in the practise area. This is a great drill for lagging those putts close. When you are ready to putt, do the practise stroke looking at the hole. Once you are ready to commit it's the same stroke. Good luck..

BTW you are lucky someone answered your post.. we are still in 6 feet of snow
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I I'm pretty sure it's not the actual stroke.
    I need a clue. What do you think about just before and during the actual stroke?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Have you read Dave Peltz's Puttng Bible?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    I used a laser level ($20) from a hardware store to improve my putting ... and I could even use it to hang some pictures.

Might have to do it on a cloudy day or near dusk or dawn to see the beam (a good section of carpet indoors can also be used) but here is a run down of what I did.

Square Impact: I turned on the laser level and placed it on green (reasonably flat spot) so the beam made a line on the front of my ball. Then I would just putt to the laser level. My intent was to have the light hit the ball for the first 2-3 feet at least (perfectly flat and you will hit the laser level) ... this is instant positive feedback - mentally very good. As I got better at doing this it built confidence that I was hitting the ball square.

Break Reading: I used an 8-10ft putt which will break about 5-10 inches. Put your ball down. Work out what the break should be and put the laser level down next to the hole on where you think the break is (5-10 inches on the high side) and get the beam to hit your ball. You are now aiming at the point where the laser beam comes out (not at the hole). Again putt along the beam of light (in the beam for the first 2-3ft) and try to determine if you over or under estimated the break ... if you missed on the high side and well past the hole then the pace might have been too strong but the read good ... short is well short. If I did very poorly at my guess I would reguess and move the level, and re-putt.

Pace: Once I had a break that I could "nail" every time, I would double the distance between the level and hole. This would be an intentional miss, but my goal was for the ball to pass between the level and hole and only several inches past. I control my pace by adjusting backswing of the putt.

This is what worked for me.
    Charles
    Back at it.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I'm not sure about learning you to putt, but quite a few on this site could teach you to putt. Once you correctly fix the mechanics of your stroke, practicing with your eyes closed from 10' in might work magic for you. It's a good way of learning to trust your stroke.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    I need a clue. What do you think about just before and during the actual stroke?
    I'd very interested to see where this is going
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Here's another question for you. Are you normally a good putter and are just now not making them or do you always struggle?

I ask this because I went through a horrible putting slump last year. In the end, I had to change putters to make it go away. Horrible for me means averaging around 34-35 per round since I usually average about 31-32.

In the end I just had no confidence in the flat stick (didn't trust my aim/alignment with the putter) so I picked up a new one and turned it around completely.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Usually something like "I hope I don't screw this up." Probably a big part of my problem right there

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Here's another question for you. Are you normally a good putter and are just now not making them or do you always struggle?

I ask this because I went through a horrible putting slump last year. In the end, I had to change putters to make it go away. Horrible for me means averaging around 34-35 per round since I usually average about 31-32.

In the end I just had no confidence in the flat stick (didn't trust my aim/alignment with the putter) so I picked up a new one and turned it around completely.
    No, I've pretty much always sucked, apart from the occasional day where I'll manage to drain a few long ones and bring down my average. It's really always been the Achilles heel of my game.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Unfortunately, that's a much harder problem to fix.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Try not thinking about it just line it up by eye and make a clean stroke.

Thread Information