100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Leo is on a distinguished road

Question Golf Travel Question

Hi. We are planning a trip down south next spring and I was wondering if I should purchase golf travel bags for our clubs. Would our golf bags and covers be ok?

...... Leo

Putter smittygolfer is on a distinguished road

Travel Bags are a good idea

I do quite a bit of travelling with golf clubs, and the way airlines handle luggage, it would be in your best interests, as well as your clubs bests interests , to in fact purchase travelling gear. All the more protection for your clubs, the better.

Have a good trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Hi. We are planning a trip down south next spring and I was wondering if I should purchase golf travel bags for our clubs. Would our golf bags and covers be ok?

...... Leo

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar

Hard vs Soft

Quote Originally Posted by smittygolfer
    I do quite a bit of travelling with golf clubs, and the way airlines handle luggage, it would be in your best interests, as well as your clubs bests interests , to in fact purchase travelling gear. All the more protection for your clubs, the better.

Have a good trip.
    If you purchase a travel case, use a hard shell. I has my golf bag crushed by Air Canada last year. I was using only a bag cover and I do regret. I now borrow a hard shell from a friend, I have only to worry about Air Canada missing the connection flight to Ottawa in Pearson or Dorval.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Also, I've been told by some friends that several US Airlines will only handle hard cases. Way too many damage suits that they had to pay :cry

My wife & me use a soft bag with good wheels & a strong handle both on the end & the sides. They are totally essential. Just try to lug everything thru 4 terminals to your connecting flight.......
    I've picked up two small walking bags that fit in together nicely. We don't take/need all our clubs.
    The key is too wrap a couple of large beach towels in & around the heads of the clubs. That's where any damage is the most likely..
    Buy yourself a solid padlock & put your shoes, etc. in your suitcase.

It's worked great for 5 flights for us. Funny, I just checked & there's no brand name of any kind on the travel bag.
    We treat it as our 2nd bag, as one big suitcase covers us for 10 days in the Carribean.....

Good luck

Thumbs up Thanks for the help

Thanks alot the responses. I would like to purchase hard cases for our clubs, but because of the cost, we will go with 2 soft cases for now for my wife and I.

And thanks for the suggestion of the towels, pad lock, etc. I will do the same when we leave in March.

........ Leo

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I usually just pack my socks by slipping them over my irons. I have always used a soft case with a padlock, and have never had a problem (knock on wood).

Big_duck
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I usually just pack my socks by slipping them over my irons. I have always used a soft case with a padlock, and have never had a problem (knock on wood).

Another tip with softcovers is to insert a broomstick or hockey stick shaft in the your bag. This stands a little taller the the club heads and will take the strain if the top of the bag should get jammed.

Lob Wedge Mulligan Man is on a distinguished road
    You may wish to re-consider using a padlock. US Airlines no longer allow luggage to be locked and they will break the lock (with no compensation) if they decide they want to view what's inside.

Good Point - Locking your Bags

Good point - If we were going to the U.S. I guess a padlock would not be advisable.

But since we are thinking of going to Varadero, Cuba (direct flight from Ottawa), would padlocking the bags be ok?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

here's what I do

I usually pack some of my clothes, especially the ones that can get wrinkled (towels, t-shirts, etc). around the club heads and around the outside of the bag. It allows me to take a smaller suitcase since a lot of what I need is in the golf bag, which I have to take anyways

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    I usually pack some of my clothes, especially the ones that can get wrinkled (towels, t-shirts, etc). around the club heads and around the outside of the bag. It allows me to take a smaller suitcase since a lot of what I need is in the golf bag, which I have to take anyways
    I'm the same way. Rain gear, towels, extra jackets, whatever. My golf travel bag weighs a ton when I'm finished
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I've travelled with my clubs for more than twenty years and never had any damage to them. They've been all over North America, Hawaii, and the Caribean.

I use a soft bag that has built-in foam padding. Wheels are a must and a sturdy should strap can also come in handy. I pack golf towels around the heads and zip my rain hood over the heads as well. To avoid damage form the clubs getting dropped on end, I put a piece of copper water pipe in the bag that is about 2 inches longer than my lonegest club - that way it takes the impact.

I have always locked my bag with padlocks and have travelled several times with them since 9/11 (including US destinations) and never have had a problem. Having said that though, I recently noticed at O'Hare in Chicago signs indicating checked luggage was NOT to be locked.

As for going to Varadero, it is a single flight from Ottawa to Cuba so the clubs don't get handled that much. I locked the bag last year and had no problem. Don't take a cell phone or a GPS though or anything that loooks like them as they will get confiscated. They almost seized my Palm Pilot because they thought it was a cell phone.

Birdie Slammin' Stever is on a distinguished road Slammin' Stever's Avatar

Thumbs up Re-consider using a padlock.

Mulligan Man is correct, my locks on my travel case were cut by the airlines and my hard number tags were broken on my headcovers. I should have done what Dan recommend with the socks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I usually just pack

my socks :reallymad

by slipping them over my irons. I have always used a soft case with a padlock, and have never had a problem (knock on wood).

Not only would I protect my clubs but I probably would keep security away from my clubs also........

And never have a problem!

Stever :cry

3 Wood Rough Stuff is on a distinguished road
    Security checked my clubs too. Putting a padlock on is asking for trouble...they'll get in one way or the other.

Thread Information